Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

08 tc wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:13 PM

Thumbs down 08 tc wont start

so let me start by telling you who the issue started.

about 3 weeks ago i was going to leave work car started fine idled fine didnt recognize anything out of the ordinary backed out of my parking spot drove maybe 10 feet made a right hand turn and ran first gear up to maybe about 4500 rpm at the most and heard a loud pop. shifted to second and heard the pop again and the car completely died.

what is going on now is the car will crank but wont fire up it just gives one big back fire and that is it. so i figured first thing to check was fuel and wasnt getting any fuel so i replaced the fuel pump and filter. and after i had replaced it i found the EFI fuse blown under the hood. replaced the fuse still same issue. so next idea was spark plugs. replaced the spark plugs(NGK IRIDIUMS) made sure they were properly gapped everything was looking good went to start the car again and still same issue it will crank over give one back fire then will just continue to crank like its still not getting fuel.

so start working on the car again this morning and figure what the hell i know the engine is turning but lets pull the starter and the battery to make sure they are actually working the way they were suppose to so took both to autozone. starter was in tip top shape battery charge was so low that they couldnt even get a reading. so bought new battery. install all parts and try n fire it up again still same thing crank back fire n thats it. like its still not getting fuel. ran engine scan showed cam sensor i think the code # was p0340. either way bought new sensor installed still doing the same thing. been disconnecting the battery for every install, tried reseting the ecu all that happy stuff.

i have officially ran out of ideas to check. everytime i try to start the car and i get that back fire i go and pull the plugs and can every easily see that they are getting fuel in all 4 cylinders.

so i dont know if i should try and replace the fuel injectors/fuel rail im totally lost im trying to pull everything i can think before having the take the car to scion or another shop.

back in 2009 i had the same issue that time the car was under warranty and found out from scion that i blew out the crank shaft bearing. however i dont believe its the same issue this time bc theres no puddle of oil under the car or any signs of leaking oil.

like i said i am completely out of ideas can someone anyone please help by giving suggestions on what to check/do next.

my car only has 46k miles on it and i DONT beat on it OR RACE IT on a daily basis.

MODS incase these might give you some help in thinking,

-AEM CAI
-DC 4-1 HEADERS
-INVIDIA DOWN PIPE
-PTUNING CATBACK
-NST LIGHT WEIGHT PULLEYS (CRANK,WATER,ALT)
Old 07-14-2013, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any chance you can take back to Toyota cuz you only got 46k on the clock? Or do the pulley mods void any warranty?

Definitely check the injectors and fuel rail. Also check the EFI relay in the fuse box (I know you checked the fuse, but did you also check this one?). Do you smell gas when cranking? If so, then there's no spark. Check the coil packs.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:38 PM

im tryin every last option before i take it to scion i dont have the $ for them to fix it and im pretty sure the warranty is void with the pulleys.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also check all your hoses. I recently found thar my pcv hose was badly cracked on the intake manifold side and was causing a backfire-like popping from the exhaust everytime I let off the gas.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:45 PM

you don't have money for Toyota to fix it because you're blowing your money fixing things that don't need to be fixed. Sometimes it makes sense to let a shop fix your car.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:21 PM

Default FML

well TIGERDUDE, you turned out to be right. as said in the posts above i did all the checks i said i was going to and still wasnt getting anything to work...ran a compression test n BAM no compression in any cylinder.... :-\ ....so left me to believe one thing....

so drained the oil...dropped the oil pan n there it was sitting in there waitin for me to see it...a nice big ole chunk of a sprocket from inside the timing chain cover (can still see the remaining piece in there)...so finally figured out the issue..

now my next question is...does anyone know of a good DIY to help fix this i tried to start pulling the timing chain cover off myself but its just looking like its going to be more of a problem then i can handle. so i will prolly end up just taking it to scion but dont really wanna give them a car thats all ripped apart n just be like here fix this but it really looks like thats going to be the case

if anyone can help me out on this so i dont have to take it to scion that would be appreciated