Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

ARC vs Injen

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ARC vs Injen

I was wondering if anyone knows the benefits of going with ARC's cold air induction box vs an injen CAI (which is what I have but a comparison to an intake in general is what i'm looking for)

I wasn't able to find a whole lot on ARC on SL and i can't find ARC's website (maybe i wasn't searching for the right thing?) but if anyone has any experience with ARC's box please share I'm curious
Old 10-14-2007, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ARC = Looks

Injen = More HP
Old 10-14-2007, 07:55 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

^^ he got it pretty much..

ARC = show points
Old 10-14-2007, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh OK. Thanks guys. I saw the price tag on an ARC box and was wondering what the big deal was. I heard its good stuff but if I can get better gains from my Injen for half the price I'll just stick with what I got =)
I was mainly wondering because I am contemplating going s/c'd and I noticed that its a REALLY tight fit for the intake because of the s/c and was thinking maybe I should replace my intake with the ARC box once/if i get the s/c.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

ARC super induction box = pretty expensive, about 4hp gain, heat soak will be an issue, but it looks good, simple to install

Injen CAI = somewhat cheaper, about 6-8hp gain, no heat soak, also looks good, and a little harder to install

I have had both and speak from experience. The ARC box looks awesome and if you go to shows, it will get a lot of compliments. I got mine super cheap so it wasn't that big of a deal for me, but for the results, i would not pay 500+ for it
Old 10-14-2007, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BuddhasTC
Injen CAI = ... no heat soak ...
Anyone with a metal tube CAI who's ever had a ScanGauge hooked up to read intake air temp (IAT) knows better. With my Injen CAI, my IAT has climbed as high as 123 degrees at a long red light on a 93 degree day. Another Injen owner in Vegas has seen his IAT reach 167 degrees. Good for fuel economy, not so good for HP.

The only intake mod that doesn't heat soak is Dr. Isotope's GFI.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm I'm going through this dilema myself lol
Old 10-21-2007, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive got the injen and its nice...sounds awesome too i think it looks cool, and built well
Old 10-21-2007, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

How many of you that chimed in about the heatsoak with the ARC intake own or even seen one in person. I owned both the injen and ARC intakes and I can honestly say that there is no noticeable difference performance wise with either of these intakes. There isn't much heatsoak with the ARC intake due to the fact it is made from aluminum. The ARC also gives you peace of mind driving around in rain and looks f*ckn sexy as hell. If you don't have any evidence to back up your bullsh*t claims then don't bash on ARC.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^ this was just a rant for the anti-ARC injen fanboys on this forum that feel like its their obligation to express their assumptions to anyone with with an ARC intake or thinking of getting an ARC intake of the heat soak issue.

P.S. Most of the time I found the piping on my injen intake to be quite hot while my ARC intake was slightly warm at most even after spirited driving.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by heyitznosaj
^^ this was just a rant for the anti-ARC injen fanboys on this forum that feel like its their obligation to express their assumptions to anyone with with an ARC intake or thinking of getting an ARC intake of the heat soak issue.

P.S. Most of the time I found the piping on my injen intake to be quite hot while my ARC intake was slightly warm at most even after spirited driving.
?? There was ONE person who claimed the ARC heat-soaked. I gave my experience with the Injen as far as intake air temperature (IAT).

If you don't have IAT data then you're in no position to offer up whether or not an intake has a heat soak problem.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It was a rant on all the other times people with absolutely no knowledge on the subject but simply reiterate what others have to say on the ARC intake and for those who will inevitably post in this thread. I completely agree on what you stated about the injen intake and I do not need a IAT sensor to present a valid argument. I am using my experience with both intakes to help this guy make a decision. All I said is that there will no be big difference between the injen and ARC performance wise and that those with no experience with the ARC intake are in no position to bash it.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're commenting on an intake heat-soaking then yes you do need IAT data. The temperature of the outside of the CAI pipe or ARC airbox is irrelevant. The ECU uses IAT to determine the temperature of the air entering the combustion chamber, which factors into how much fuel will then be injected. You can't determine IAT by feeling the outside of the airbox any more than you can stick your hand outside a window and calculate the actual temperature outdoors.

Also the Injen CAI has been dyno tested and been found to make the most whp in the GRC Motorsports intake tests. I'm not aware of any dynos of the ARC. If it has been done you could provide us a link.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mid_Life_tC-risis
If you're commenting on an intake heat-soaking then yes you do need IAT data. The temperature of the outside of the CAI pipe or ARC airbox is irrelevant. The ECU uses IAT to determine the temperature of the air entering the combustion chamber, which factors into how much fuel will then be injected. You can't determine IAT by feeling the outside of the airbox any more than you can stick your hand outside a window and calculate the actual temperature outdoors.

Also the Injen CAI has been dyno tested and been found to make the most whp in the GRC Motorsports intake tests. I'm not aware of any dynos of the ARC. If it has been done you could provide us a link.
Actually it measures the air at the MAF sensor, not inside the combustion chamber. But either way, there won't be any difference in power FEEL, a person simply cannot feel the difference between 1-2hp. They can think they can (I've seen first hand people say they felt a 20-30 hp gain from removing a cat, then was dyno'd with a 2hp gain), but they can't. Anyway, i'd much rather go with the ARC, looks much better and is actually a better filtration system.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, you're correct, but just to clarify, I didn't say IAT was measured inside the combustion chamber. It is measured at the MAF as you said, and this air temp is presumed to be the air temp entering the combustion chamber, from which the ECU will determine - along with other factors such as MAF air flow and AFR - how much fuel will be injected.

And no problem with anyone choosing an intake for looks and sound. But if someone wants to debate performance gains there needs to be something other than a butt-dyno testament. Something along the lines of a real dyno, 0-60, or 1/4-mile time improvement.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by heyitznosaj
I do not need a IAT sensor to present a valid argument. I am using my experience with both intakes to help this guy make a decision. All I said is that there will no be big difference between the injen and ARC performance wise and that those with no experience with the ARC intake are in no position to bash it.
All I am saying is that heatsoak with the ARC is over exaggerated. I never said that an IAT sensor was irrelevant however not necessary to prove that it does not suffer severely from heatsoak like every says. If there was a major performance deficit, I'm sure my state of the art butt dyno would have surely picked it up.