Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Auto Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:44 AM

Default Auto Transmission Question

I have been doing some research on doing a transmission flush on my car but I cant find how to replace the filter. My plan is to put some cheap fluid in, let it cycle though, drain it again and put in some Royal Purple, Amsoil, or Redline. But my question is that how do you drop the pan to change out the filter. If you have any pictures you can post would be awesome!
Old 06-05-2012, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tmeays08
I have been doing some research on doing a transmission flush on my car but I cant find how to replace the filter. My plan is to put some cheap fluid in, let it cycle though, drain it again and put in some Royal Purple, Amsoil, or Redline. But my question is that how do you drop the pan to change out the filter. If you have any pictures you can post would be awesome!
don't cheap out on the fluid no matter how short of time you plan on having it in there. cheap out now, pay later, as the saying goes. if your id/handle/name means you have an 08 tc, then it uses the WS fluid, as they changed it in 07, i believe. Before then was another fluid. Looking at the service manual there is NO filter in the pan, just two magnets, yes really, ask the dealer to show you on their parts counter computer. If someone wants to sell you a filter, it has to be aftermarket. but factory doesn't have one. Amazing that toyota engineered it to just use magnets for any slight debris!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:08 PM

I was only going to use the cheap fluid for maybe like 10 mins lol...I was just going to put cheap stuff in, run my car around the block so it can shift into all gears so it can get all the old stuff out, turn around and drain it again. Put in some expensive stuff in like Royal Purple, Amsoil, or Redline. But I have an 07 tc sorry for the confusing on my name lol, and on O'Reilly website, they have a Wix - automatic transmission filter which looks like it comes with a filter, gasket, and a o-ring. I am not doubting you on not having a filter I was just wondering because I have heard from some that they dont and some say they do.

And what automatic transmission fluid would you recommend? I am deciding between Redline D4 ATF or Royal Purple 75w90 GL4.

Last edited by tmeays08; 06-05-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:28 PM

I have an auto 07 as well. Yes there is a transmission filter that hangs at the bottom of the tranny. Once the fluid is drained and the pan is dropped, you just unscrew the screws holding it on and it pull it right off. Then put the new one in and screw the screws back in. I bought my filter at autozone for pretty cheap. Once the filter is in, put the pan back on with a new gasket (make sure you use gasket paste) and fill it up with new fluid. Buy the Toyota WS stuff, that's the best fluid you can get for the autos. Don't run cheap fluid or anything else through the car, it's really not needed. It cost me 38 bucks for 4 QTs of WS at a dealer. Put in the same amount of fluid you take out. Overall, it was a pretty easy, but time consuming job.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was only going to use the cheap fluid for maybe like 10 mins lol...I was just going to put cheap stuff in, run my car around the block so it can shift into all gears so it can get all the old stuff out, turn around and drain it again. Put in some expensive stuff in like Royal Purple, Amsoil, or Redline. But I have an 07 tc sorry for the confusing on my name lol, and on O'Reilly website, they have a Wix - automatic transmission filter which looks like it comes with a filter, gasket, and a o-ring. I am not doubting you on not having a filter I was just wondering because I have heard from some that they dont and some say they do.

And what automatic transmission fluid would you recommend? I am deciding between Redline D4 ATF or Royal Purple 75w90 GL4.

i'd go with the ws stuff from toyota, unless you're doing something crazy that would require extra trans cooling like boosting the engine. but doesn't sound like you are, so just go with the toyota ws fluid, it's about the best out there.

and i see the other comment about the trans filter, hmmm all i know is when I helped my bro do this work, the dealer showed me there was no filter, just two magnets in the pan. sure enough, we took the pan off and there they were. he has an 05, maybe they changed it for 07? I checked the service manual here on scionlife and it showed the magnets too. maybe check with your dealer? yeah it's very confusing all the conflicting stuff we keep hearing. i just know what my dealer told me and showed me on their parts computer, maybe do the same? I'd check a couple dealers, if you get the same story, i wouldn't believe an autoparts store like autozone or oreilly's over the dealer. As much as I don't like the dealer I still believe what they have to say when a part doesn't exist. hope i helped a little
Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 AM

There was both a filter AND two little magnets in my 07.
This is what the tranny filter was that i got:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jpyetZ8gd7j
Also comes with a gasket
Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All transmissions have "little magnets" in them to catch debris. Nothing new.

I suggest against Royal Purple for ANY use. It's over priced junk.

Being that this vehicle is your daily, and it's an automatic, unless you're pushing big power through the transmission I would stick with Toyota's fluid. No need to over pay for something that will do the exact same. You won't be adding protection, look at how many tC's are over 100K miles and beyond on stock fluids.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:58 PM

Well I dropped my trany pan and there was a filter...so I replaced that and let it drain really good, put the new filter and gasket back on and put in all 4 quarts of the Toyota WS and it runs awesome!! Thanks for all the info
Old 06-17-2012, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I dropped my trany pan and there was a filter...so I replaced that and let it drain really good, put the new filter and gasket back on and put in all 4 quarts of the Toyota WS and it runs awesome!! Thanks for all the info
yeah i apologize, i've been looking for a "trans filter" but toyota actually calls it a "strainer". when you took your old one out, can you look at it and see if it's a metal mesh inside or is it a fiber? and the new one? fiber or metal mesh? been doing some research now that I see what you're saying THERE IS A FILTER/STRAINER!

so let me know what the original and new filter were made out of.. (looking inside the hole)
Old 06-19-2012, 06:32 AM

When I took off my old one I did look in the filter and it was a fiber(a gray colored from all the filth that it caught), and the new one was tan/yellowish color fiber....but its a good thing I checked it out because my old one was pretty dirty