Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Clutch pedal won't return

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 03:43 PM
SL Member

Default Clutch pedal won't return

Hi all, I've got an 09' TC, and recently I ran into a problem where my clutch wasn't disengaging. With the car on, and the clutch all the way in, the car has a really hard time going into any gear, and when I try to push it into gear, the car tries to crawl forward, which is what tells me that the clutch isn't disengaging. Also, with the car off is rows through gears just fine. I saw somebody on here from a while ago with the exact same problem, and he said he pulled the trans and replaced the clutch and it didn't help, but when he replaced the master and slave cylinder it solved the problem. So I replaced my slave cylinder, and nothing changed. Then I replaced my master cylinder, but now I'm running into a problem where the clutch pedal won't return to the top all of the way, on top of the previous problem not being solved. I pressure bled it many times, and then pumped the clutch and no matter how much I bled it would only return to about 2in before the top of its range. I then rented a vacuum bleeding system and vacuum bled it and it still didn't fix it.

My next plan of action is seeing if I can adjust the master cylinder fork out further where it connects to the clutch pedal, but I don't think that will solve the problem. If that doesn't work, I'm going to put the old master cylinder back in after I bench bleed it, and see if it at least solves the clutch pedal return problem, and then pull the trans and check the clutch and throwout bearing to see if one of those is causing the original problem.

Thanks for reading all the way! Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-20-2023, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you had the issue before and after new cylinders, it's probably an issue with the clutch itself. The system is not overly difficult to bleed and it sounds like you've done it correctly.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:41 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by drizzoh
If you had the issue before and after new cylinders, it's probably an issue with the clutch itself. The system is not overly difficult to bleed and it sounds like you've done it correctly.
This makes sense, but I’m just confused as to why the clutch pedal return problem started happening after the new master got put in, the car wasn’t driven in between so I don’t see how a clutch issue could’ve gotten worse to cause that.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by beese
This makes sense, but I’m just confused as to why the clutch pedal return problem started happening after the new master got put in, the car wasn’t driven in between so I don’t see how a clutch issue could’ve gotten worse to cause that.
Oh.. you didn't say it happened after changing the master in the OP. The OP said you had the issue then started changing parts.

In the past when I've bled hydraulic clutches they fall to the floor when even the slightest bit of air is in the system. Not the most fun to bleed but it sounds like you've bled them fine.

If both cylinders are new and the issue existed before and after changing them, I would suspect they're not your issue.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:37 AM

Hey I’m having the same issue as you, I replaced the clutch master and slave, but I’m having trouble bleeding as there is still an inch of travel the pedal doesn’t want to return. Did you ever end up figuring it out? Was there a specific way you bled it or was there a leak in the lines? Thanks
Old 02-03-2024, 05:00 PM

Im also having this issue. I replaced my clutch plate and pressure plate. A month later i lost my clutch all together. Replaced slave and bled it all out again. Haven't replaced master yet. Just extremely frustrated.
06 tc