Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Engine swap 08 xB 2AZ-FE into 05 tC

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my specialty is wiring, with enough time that could be done easily.

thanks lol its meant for other things but it works for this too

using a million dollar 3 ton crane hoist for a 300 lb engine hahah
Old 01-28-2009, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default UPDATE

Received the xb engine, looks very new. comparing wiring harnesses, i came to the conclusion that it will be alot easier to just use my 05 ecu. the 08 xb ecu has very different connections. i think it is even different than the 08 tc ecu. i compared part #s on sensors on both engines, and most i can see are the same.

what i need to do next is to buy a used 05-06 tc ecu and get the crankshaft position reset, does anyone know how this is done?

still trying to determine if the 05-06 supercharger will bolt up to the 08 block. i think i might have to use my alternator bracket, but have not went in depth enough to determine anything on that yet.

hopefully i can have this car running within a week or two...

stay tunes for more updates, pics are on the way.

08 xb ecu and xb pnp harness for sale if interested pm me. i might also put them on ebay soon
Old 02-01-2009, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for anyone thinking about doing this - DONT!

the engines are hardly the same. we had to swap timing covers today, they are different and you will not be able to bolt up your engine mount bracket to the xb's timing cover.

the block is also different, the alternator placement is different, we are desperately trying to get the s/c frm the 05-06 kit on this engine, but there will have to be alot of custom work done......

we have to grind down a piece of the alternator so we can fit the idler pulley nut on, we also have to grind down a piece of the block for the other idler pulley. have not located the exact location of my s/c front plate yet, we'll have to see if that can bolt up as well. today, we had to grind down the idler pulleys because they were sticking too far out, not lining up with the other pulleys. header is definitely in the way.

in short, i wouldnt advise anyone to do this. i had the thought that these were the same blocks, they are NOT. they are different casts. as well as other differences.

i also have to find a power steering pump, because we kinda bent mine, and the xb has electric steering, no pump, it is just an idler pulley there. the alternator also is different, im not sure if there is a clutch or what but if it has a clutch, im not sure if my wiring harness has the correct connections for that.

ill keep you all posted, but this was way more work i was expecting.............. ive been working on this car for weeks now and still not even close...............................................
Old 02-01-2009, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kinda figured this was going to happen but wasnt sure and didnt want to be the guinie pig... So props for doin it... Good luck with the rest of the project and keep us posted. I also think the xb's have a different gear ratio... You might want to look into swapping the trannies just for shyts and giggles.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching this
Old 02-01-2009, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow... i feel sorry for u. i hope it will come out good!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ill try to get some pics of them today. i found the front plate and i dont think the bottom bolt on the plate has a place to thread into the new xb block.

different gear ratios hmm??

i also hear the pullies are different rib. im going to check it out today and take some pics..

i have both trannies, i was planning on using the xb tranny, but ill have to look at the ratios, both trannies are in excellent condition.

edit - just researched gear ratios, all are same, except 5th gear, on the tc 5th gear ratio is 0.78, the xb is 0.73, barely a difference, the xb might be better for mpg. plus it is a brand new tranny so im going to use the xb tranny.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

GL with this project and keep us updated.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all pullies are 7 rib.

s/c plate will bolt up to the block, dont have to change anything on the plate.

only thing im going to have to do is shave off the little (useless) bolt on the top of the alternator and part of the block.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope youre taking pics of this... Im sure I speak for the entire scion community when I say we will be highly disappointed if you dont have pics of project lol
Old 02-09-2009, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

got the supercharger bolted up, we actually had to remove less material than i had originally thought.

in the first pic i circled in red where we had to grind away some metal so the nuts on the idler pullies would be able to go there.

of course, the exhaust manifold would NOT fit w/ the sc. it is very different than the '05; we also tucked the CKPS under the alternator.

S/C MOUNTED!: