Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

heat wrap intake??? breather filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default heat wrap intake??? breather filter?

i was wondering if its worth it to heat wrap my cai? cause i notice, at any given moment, the intake tube is very hot to souch and will burn you on touch. will i get any benifits from it?

also, is it better to plug the hole where the line goes from intake to the block? should i but a breather filter and plug that spot on the intake?
Old 09-18-2006, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holy $hiZZ, did you just read my comment on the k&n thread, i was looking for someone like you to help me out. YES, try the header heat wrap. I did it to my weapon R SRI and its seemed to make a huge difference, but i dont know if its all in my head, ya know how that goes! But i want some others to try it and see if it helps. I just wrapped mine on saturday so im not sure yet, i'll keep driving til the novelty wears off and see if im still impressed and then i'll know if it actually works. But until then, i wanna see if others will try it too, just to see.

And for your other question, about the oil breather. I would get a filter for it and plug the one on the intake. I've been trying, but its hard to find a filter that will fit there, because its so close to the head. Not sure if there is any true benefit other than looks, but some people say it helps the oil breathe better and last longer, others say it doesn't matter. I would do it just for looks, i personally don't think its a performance option.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

didn't see ur post at all. lol. I got the idea from a friend. he had his heat wrapped on his eclipse. lol. I really wanna know though
Old 09-18-2006, 03:15 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The oil breather doesn't help more than the tube from the intake. Cooler temps from the intake are better to stablize oil consumption through burning and excessive heating. Continually breathing heated air from the engine bay will break oil down faster. Just keep the inlet tube from the intake to the valve cover.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by web
The oil breather doesn't help more than the tube from the intake. Cooler temps from the intake are better to stablize oil consumption through burning and excessive heating. Continually breathing heated air from the engine bay will break oil down faster. Just keep the inlet tube from the intake to the valve cover.
Wow man you're evrywhere, just like me,lol. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:27 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha, that's what happens when you're on conference calls at work and bored.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:49 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

just say no to breather filters..

no. no. no. no. no. no. no. no. no. no. no. NO.

heat wrap cai? sure.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

heat wrap CAI works...helps the car during long continuous drives, keeps CAI much much cooler....plus it looks kinda cool, expecially when ur intake is as scratched as mine
Old 09-18-2006, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what do yall suggets to wrap it
Old 09-18-2006, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah whats good to use? Somebody up there said header wrap but thats like to keep heat in right? Ive seen some in a few car mags that like wrap around it and then you tie it like a shoe lace.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
Yeah whats good to use? Somebody up there said header wrap but thats like to keep heat in right? Ive seen some in a few car mags that like wrap around it and then you tie it like a shoe lace.
Not necessarily... Its just like any other insulation. It sustains temp. Whether it be hot or cold. Just like a insulated thermos. Hot coffee or cold soda. But anyway, i have header wrap on mine and yesterday i drove all the way home from work, about 35 miles. Which is stop and go, city and highway. And when i got home i immediately popped the hood and grabbed the intake. It was cool to the touch, not even the slightest bit warm,(room temp). So then i pulled back a little bit of insulation, and tada, the metal tubing was just as cool. It used to burn me even after letting it sit for 15-20 minutes. I'm a believer, but please someone else try it too. and maybe try it with other stuff that might work also... here are my pics

Old 09-19-2006, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you convert that to a cai?
Old 09-19-2006, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

similar.. its just a couple ram air hoses that i rigged out of dryer hose but work very well! The filter is actually made for ram air, and i ran the intake hose to the bumper where the filter normally goes on a true CAI
Old 09-19-2006, 01:56 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, will this header wrapping work for CAIs during the winter much more efficiently? If it keeps the pipe cool now and it's still not that cold our, could we expect a frost build up on the pipe during the winter time? If so, as long as it's on the outside of the pipe, that would be awesome for highway driving. The engine would run so much more efficiently. How much, on average does this heat wrap cost? I would only wrap the main section of the pipe probobly, since the other half in in the fender.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought it online, but i can't remember what site. It was 20 bucks for 25', Or you can get it at some advance auto or auto zone for about 40 bucks. But i am not sure about the frost thing, thats an interesting question, i guess i'll just have to wait and see when the cold weather comes.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:03 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I've seen actual intake heat shields sold but It's only a 3 foot section. Plus, you'd have to cut it around the MAF sensor and what not. I might just get the heat wrap and do it the hard way. Is yours self adhearing or does it need ties?
Old 09-19-2006, 02:19 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going to get the graphite colored heat wrap with the stainless steel clasps. I'm keeping a dark smoke look under the hood and when i get my new header in the spring, i'm getting it jet coated smooth black to blend in. Trying to keep it all on the downlow even with the hood open. May paint the strut bar if I get around to it in the spring too.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:04 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just finished ordering my black fiberglass heat wrap with stainless steel ties. I'll post pics after I'm done.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by web
Yeah, I've seen actual intake heat shields sold but It's only a 3 foot section. Plus, you'd have to cut it around the MAF sensor and what not. I might just get the heat wrap and do it the hard way. Is yours self adhearing or does it need ties?
Mine was 2' wide and 25' long so i just wrapped it around the whole thing and went around the maf sensor. And mine doesn't have/need clamps, i just ran the last loop under the previous one (kinda like an invisible knot) and it holds perfect. Thats how i did it on my headers too.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:20 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool cool.......I'm going to make mine as neat as possible b/c I'm going to try and show my car in a few months after the Spring when I get some suspension work and my new header. I want it to look clean as hell.

Quick Reply: heat wrap intake??? breather filter?