Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

heat wrap intake??? breather filter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:48 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I think I said that somewhere in here but not sure. It's been argued and I've been on your side about the header and how it is not safe for the metal to be heated that hot for differenent intervals of time and then cooled. Needless to say, water being absorded from the wrap can cause pits and rust spots weakening the header in those areas and causing a blowout.

And yes, Jet Coat is the best way.................I'm with you 100%
Old 11-07-2006, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where can u get ur header jet coated??? What kind of shop would do that, and how much would it usually cost??
Old 11-08-2006, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So how is this working out for everybody?

^^^I just came back from El Paso. You ever hit up the Dezert Demonz racing?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.jet-hot.com/pages/headercoatings.html
http://www.classiccoatings.com/prices.html
http://www.hpcoatings.com/services/pricelist.aspx
http://www.performancecoatings.com/prices.html
http://www.thermaltechcoatings.com/pricing.htm

try any of those. Jet Hot is the pretty well known one. they dont list prices like the other links. there may be more out there but you get the idea
Old 11-08-2006, 01:47 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was told by them when I asked for an estimate that it would run 165$ for a brand new header and their 3 year warranty. That's a great price and it's nothing compared to just spraying a ceramic heat paint on them. The use aluminum oxide on the inside and out to make the surface completely free of any debris. Then they spray it inside and out and bake the paint onto the headers so that it chemical bonds to the metal. Very good process.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well its official for me too... Header wrap ruined my car. The headers got so hot that they melted my first cat from the inside out, I'm currently in discussions with the dealer as to whether they will cover it under warranty, they don't know about the heat wrap because i took it off before i took it to the dealer. They are trying to figure out the cause. If they think it was something i did they won't cover it. I doubt they can prove it was me but hopefully i don't have any problems, im going back in about an hour to talk the service manager as to what will be done. They think its because i took the heat shield off and that caused it to get really hot, but thats just BS so i'm gonna go argue. The heat shield i thought is just to prevent personal burns from a hot engine. Plus i only took the one off of the headers, not the one off the actual cat.

My advice to anyone with the wrap on the headers is to take it off ASAP to prevent possible damage, and expensive if not under warranty, (about $800).
Old 12-29-2006, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

WAIT... u had the stock header on with the wrap?
Old 12-29-2006, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep
Old 12-29-2006, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Wow, now I know those catalitycs are weak. Better remove them , unless u have a BIG smog check near.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:18 AM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCizzler
Well its official for me too... Header wrap ruined my car. The headers got so hot that they melted my first cat from the inside out, I'm currently in discussions with the dealer as to whether they will cover it under warranty, they don't know about the heat wrap because i took it off before i took it to the dealer. They are trying to figure out the cause. If they think it was something i did they won't cover it. I doubt they can prove it was me but hopefully i don't have any problems, im going back in about an hour to talk the service manager as to what will be done. They think its because i took the heat shield off and that caused it to get really hot, but thats just BS so i'm gonna go argue. The heat shield i thought is just to prevent personal burns from a hot engine. Plus i only took the one off of the headers, not the one off the actual cat.

My advice to anyone with the wrap on the headers is to take it off ASAP to prevent possible damage, and expensive if not under warranty, (about $800).

I really hope others read this and take the wrap off. Wrapping the intake pipe and radiator hoses is all that header wrap is good for b/c it won't damage them. It works great for them and won't damage them b/c it's repelling the heat and not working on keeping it in. Even aftermarket headers are damaged by heat wrap and it's not just a stock header problem.

Sorry to hear bro. Good luck with the replacements.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:28 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tCizzler: What was the outcome of the dealer visit? Good hopefully?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No!! they haven't called me back yet, Its total BS, i'm gonna give it til tomorrow, because that'll be a week. And then i'm gonna raise hell if they don't call me by then. I'll keep everyone up to date
Old 01-09-2007, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well they finally called me yesterday and decided to replace it for me. They even did it this morning within about an hour of dropping it off but i have to wait til i'm done at work to pick it up. Also i have to replace the spark plugs because they are chalk white from running so hot. Oh well atleast i didn't have to pay for the cat. Not sure if you guys knew but the header exhaust manifold and the cat are the same piece. So basically i got new "factory" headers too!!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:05 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, well....the preCAT is on the header.........main CAT is under car.

At least they changed it all up for you. NO MORE HEAT WRAP ON HEADERS!....Jet Coat them.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ No thanks, i learned my lesson, jet coating does the same thing, it sends the heat through the pipes and thats what burnt up my cat. I'm just leaving well enough alone.

The jet coat is good because it doesn't cause excess moisture and heat to break down the metal and cause cracks and other damage to the manifold, but it still puts ALL the extra heat into the rest of the system.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:35 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not really though. The jet coating is inside AND outside. It heat coats and seals the inside of the pipes as well as the outside. The header wrap only traps the heat on the outside. Jet coated headers last longer and even give you a 3 year warranty against cracking and damage to the header if you send it to them to coat brand new. I talked to them and they sent out the brochures and all was stated in there.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:37 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You wouldn't coat a stock manifold though............only an after market CAT-delete header.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

jet hot coatings are designed for cat-less exhaust manifold/headers

the heat placed inside the exhaust manifold from it being so thick walled, and having wrapping, would easily fry a cat....
Old 01-09-2007, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahh.. Gotcha. Web and 3min3m2