Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Hesitation and intakes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hesitation and intakes.

I am currently using the weapon r intake and notice a bit of hesitation the most noticeable gear is second. I was talking with a guy today who said that my car might be running a little lean. Could installing a computer correct the hesitation problem or is there anything else i should be looking into?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A piggy-back for just an intake, that's just rediculous. Reset the ECU, let the thing idle for about 15 minutes and try again.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Hesitation and intakes.

Originally Posted by Jarrod123
I am currently using the weapon r intake and notice a bit of hesitation the most noticeable gear is second. I was talking with a guy today who said that my car might be running a little lean. Could installing a computer correct the hesitation problem or is there anything else i should be looking into?

I dont know sounds like the guy wanted you to break him off more cash.
dude,
if you just reset you car you should be cool!
disconnect the battery for 10 min.
after conecting battery reset your windows and sunroof, and let your car idle for 10 min so your car get used to the more flow of air .
hope that helps.

i also heard some where in a forunm that the Wepon R intake sucks good air but that it still lets in small particals in your ingine (scary) thats what i heard? just a thought.

GOT SCIONLIFE?
Old 10-21-2005, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All intakes make horsepower by slightly leaning out your A/F mixture. If your car is just slightly hesitant, then that's pretty normal. If it's exessive, make sure your MAF is seated properly. The hole for the MAF on my Weapon R intake was just a bit too big. I fixed it by using a slightly bigger rubber o-ring.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcengel
All intakes make horsepower by slightly leaning out your A/F mixture. If your car is just slightly hesitant, then that's pretty normal. If it's exessive, make sure your MAF is seated properly. The hole for the MAF on my Weapon R intake was just a bit too big. I fixed it by using a slightly bigger rubber o-ring.
do you have the old design or the new design?
Old 10-21-2005, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DIGON_TC

i also heard some where in a forunm that the Wepon R intake sucks good air but that it still lets in small particals in your ingine (scary) thats what i heard? just a thought.

GOT SCIONLIFE?
I don't know how that can be true. if anything as far as filtering i would think this filter would be better than the injen filter.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine has had a hesitation right around 2500ish rpm in 2nd gear before and after the intake.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont worry, after driving with it for a week it will stop.....

everytime i reset my ECU my car doesnt drive as smooth as if i have been driven it for a week. after a few days i think the car will get use to the intake and adapt its new aftermarket part
Old 10-23-2005, 07:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Make sure that all of the clamps are tight, I have seen a few customers at the dealership with the same problem after the cai has been installed. Any vaccuum leakage after the mass air flow sensor will cause a hesitation during acceleration from a stop or during gear engagement.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think the hesitation is gone. i haven't had a chance to get on a road where i can run through the rpm's especially since it's been raining around here. It was one of two things that fixed the hesitation.

1. i was using a pcv hose for the intake nipple that connects to the engine. when i took it off it looked like part of the inside of the hose had melted next to both of the connections which was blocking some of the air flow.
the weapon-r directions don't tell you, but when i talked to creative compacts they said that the new weapon-r design uses the stock hose. So i put the stock hose back on.

2. I checked all the connections and reset the computer.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member

Well, I just removed my Weapon-R Secret Weapon from my TC. I kept encountering the same problem, terrible hesitation and loss of bottom end power at low RPM's. I tried four times to reset the ECU, let the car idle for 10 minutes before driving it and then I wouldn't even drive it hard for at least 50 miles. Right after the 50 miles it works great and feels frisky at low RPM's, but after roughly 300-350 miles it seemed like the ECU would detune the engine or something. I could barely take off in 2nd gear without bringing up the RPM's higher than usual(2800). Normally with the stock intake it's no problem to take off in 2nd easily.
It's crying shame too because at 4000 RPM's that intake really comes alive. But in my daily driving I don't get up that high unless I'm feeling cocky and want to get on it.
I don't know what to do at this point but I know your pain..
Old 10-23-2005, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You guys do know that an intake will slow you down a lot in the lower end RPM's right?? I bet you if you raced a stock tC in the quarter mile w/ your tC w/ only an intake that the stock tC will win. The thing with intakes is that what you lose in the low end, you will gain in the mid to top end.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't know. my car seems like it pretty much has more go all around with the intake than without it. if this hesitation comes back i will switch back to stock or i will try the injen intake that i have sitting around.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i don't know. my car seems like it pretty much has more go all around with the intake than without it. if this hesitation comes back i will switch back to stock or i will try the injen intake that i have sitting around.

Dude you have an injen intake sitting around and you are not using it ?

Injen has way better system i feel too many hesistation stories with weapon r.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
A piggy-back for just an intake, that's just rediculous. Reset the ECU, let the thing idle for about 15 minutes and try again.
this is unessesary maybe you left a hose off check your connections if all else fails put your stock setup back on and see
Old 10-24-2005, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcengel
do you have the old design or the new design?
I have the new design. The hole for the MAF on mine was just slightly too large. Using a thicker o-ring that I found at Murrays fixed the problem.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

since i have trouble shot the weapon r i have not had any problems with hesitation. and find that now... it runs better than the injen intake. i am going to keep the injen around a little longer but will sell it soon if the weapon r continues to work as well as it has been.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

since i have trouble shot the weapon r i have not had any problems with hesitation. and find that now... it runs better than the injen intake. i am going to keep the injen around a little longer but will sell it soon if the weapon r continues to work as well as it has been.

ok dude! go for it !