Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

How to build a FAST QUIET car???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default How to build a FAST QUIET car???

I want something that is fast and doesn't sound fast.. I'm starting to think its a little played out and that I'm a little too old too be ricing around still.. I love it 30% of the time and the other 70% of the time its over kill.
Some times its buzzes sometimes it sounds good.. I don't know what to do... I'm thinking of going Turbo and putting either the stock exhaust on or what?? I don't know.. I know a Turbo will quiet it down but by how much?

Can you aftermarket Turbo a car and w/ stock exhaust..? I want a sleeper..

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-03-2018 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr. Badge
Old 04-08-2005, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Admin Emeritus
SL Member

going turbo w/ the stock exhaust will decrease the amount of potential horsepower the car could produce because not enough gases will be able to flow out of the exhaust. bigger piping & more free flowing exhaust will produce more horsepower potentially. Turbo sleeper doesnt work to often either, because 1 they might be able to hear your turbo spool up or hear your blow off. Nice sleeper would be supercharger w/ as many bolt ons as possible & maybe some headwork. But hey its your car, your money, & only my opinion. Good luck w/ whatever you do.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:08 PM
dex
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats kinda of an oxymoron with this car. the only way to do that would be to keep the factory exhaust and thats just too restrictive to make any power. think of it like a straw...you can blow into it as hard as you want (intake charge) but if you have your finger covering part of the other end (exhaust) restricting the air flow, you can only get so much air in there. id suggest getting an exhaust with a removable baffle, so you can have it relativly quiet when you want it to be.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Supercharger sleeper? I'm just curious if that can work..also, there are some exhausts I've seen that don't sound fast; there's a tC in the NVS forum that has a clean quiet exhaust....

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-03-2018 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr. Badge
Old 04-08-2005, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YOu want a fast car but dont want to attract police? here is what you do. NO....

Body kits
No altezzas
No neon underglow crap anywhere near your car
Tint not too dark
no Loud Exhaust
no wings of any kind, lips ok
Supercharger instead of turbo so you have no BOV
If you have an intercooler with your setup, make sure you hide it behind a grill, an exposed intercooler is a dead giveaway.

Basically only do mods that will not draw any extra attention to yourself, keep it looking like a stock tC.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I love your way of thinking f1nch...

I, too love the quite fast car...like the NSX, it's fast, but you never hear it running...

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-03-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

im not sure the stock exhaust can handle the heat coming from a turbo system.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I dont think it should be tried with stock exhaust... but I agree with jrv2000 but I have to get carbon fiber hood and hatch... not sure about underglow for myself yet... anyways to be the quietest and fastest setup you should go with a supercharger b/c a BOV is a dead give away to anyone who knows anything about a car.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

perhaps a dual exhaust system? don't think there are any out... but I'd think that would do the trick for your loud exhaust dilemna... definately sc vs tc... but it still gets loud, eh?

You're not going to get a very quiet, fast car... more power output means more energy lost, through both heat and noise... unless you............... have an electric engine?
Old 04-09-2005, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by f1nch
thinkin of goin turbo and putting either the stock exhaust on or what?? i dont know.. i know a turbo wil quiet it down but by how much?

can you aftermarket turbo a car and w/ stock exhaust..? i want a sleeper..
well, if you decide to go turbo and stick with the stock exhaust. you will not get the full potential of the turbo. a larger aftermarket exhaust will provide 1. more power(a given) 2. decreases spool time for the turbo(more usable powerband)

a turbocharged car isn't always quiet. most, if not all turbocharged cars have a wastegate. the wastegate regulates boost levels. when the engine receives enough boost(lets say 7psi), the wastegate opens and some of the exhaust gases is vented out a dump tube and into the atmosphere(sometimes the tube reconnects with the exhaust). since some of the gases is exiting through the dump tube, there is less exhaust flow through the exhaust system, thus making it seem quiet.

yes, you can have a stock exhaust with aftermarket turbo setup, but recommend a larger exhaust system. or you can try doing what this one guy did. he had 3" custom piping right into the stock muffler.

you can have a turbocharged sleeper. it is pretty hard to distinguish a N/A car and a car with a small turbo. (i.e. eclipse gst, mazdaspeed protege) the bov doesn't have to be an aftermarket company, (i.e. HKS, greddy, turbonetics) you can also use a recirculating BOV. you can still hear it, but isn't as noticable.

just to let you know, i am NOT a turbo expert. i just ask a lot of damn questions to people with turbocharged cars.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:45 AM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

powerful car but quiet? thats near impossible. if yu want a powerful car yu'r gonna use that power
Old 04-09-2005, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You could get a fast car by striping every thing out of it but that isn't practical and a S/C wont really work because you will still get the blower whine, the turbo will give you a wind up and BOV noise, the only real option i could think of would be a Nitrous kit other then that your car is going to get loud

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-03-2018 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr. Badge
Old 04-09-2005, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

depending on how you have your turbo set-up you can actually have it fairly quiet without it sounding like you are running 250+ horses.

in certain turbo's, the sound that is created often deflects and destructs into each other inside the turbo, killing whatever excess sound there is. this is one of the reasons why the srt4 is as quiet as it is without a mufflers on a dual exhaust. im not saying the srt4 is quiet, but for a turbo with dual exhaust without mufflers, it surely sounds quiet.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah... all good ideas but I see what your talking about.. reason why is I saw a new style Sentra that just took off like crazy and i didn't hear a thing! I was like WHAT!!!!

So I was curious as to how in the hell he did that...its funny b/c cars that are actually fast stock...(i.e Corvette, M3, Porche, etc...) are so ridiculously fast and super quiet.

Anybody got $100k I can borrow??

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-03-2018 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr. Badge
Old 04-09-2005, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

M3 isn't the quite all the ones i see around here (Naperville, IL. area) are about as loud as my friends Camaro they sound nice but there a little loud compared to a stock tC.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-03-2018 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr. Badge
Old 04-09-2005, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hehe before I got my tC I joked I wanted to make my car a sleeper with my friend... but then I also said I'd rip out the chassis and make it rwd... now that would surprise people... go to the track... do a burn out "WTF?! HIS REAR TIRES ARE SPINNING!" ehehehehe.... oh one can only dream... (anyone see Jay Leno convert his '66 toronado to rwd w/ a vette chassis?)