Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Intercooling N/A tC

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Intercooling N/A tC

Can I install a small intercooler in a N/A tC?
What could be the benefits?
Comments...
Old 12-22-2005, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

No Benifits at all...
Old 12-22-2005, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
No Benifits at all...
Old 12-22-2005, 05:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Revilo
No Benifits at all...
Old 12-22-2005, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by datrickster24
No Benifits at all...
Not funny

Old 12-22-2005, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Intercooling N/A tC

Can I install a small intercooler in a N/A tC?
What could be the benefits?
Comments...
what would u hook it up to?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was expecting a little increase of HP
Old 12-22-2005, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha, didnt mean to be an a.s.s but it was funny to me. But no your not gonna get anything out of it unless your turboed or supercharged. Heck even with F/I it doesnt help THAT much but it depends on what kind of setup you have.

-Dan
Old 12-22-2005, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Be Nice Guys... I'd see where the thought could be developed...

The heat developed by a SC or TC bleeds into the air, which raises the temp, sometimes significantly... so cooling that air adds hp, as REALLY hot air isn't the best for F/I performance...

For the N/A guys... not going to do any good, as the air isn't going to get much cooler than what is sucked into our intake.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Meth Injection would help a little, thats about it.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:21 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

your ____ing ___. i mean are you serious? and to the guy who says intercooling a turbo set up would be minimal for power is wrong. you can put down a good 10 hp with a intercooler set up. BUT if you was a massave FMIC for a small turbo, it would be a negative effect instead of positive
Old 12-22-2005, 06:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I agree with the rest of the guys there would really be no reason to put a front mount there because it wouldn't have no reason there except for show. But I remember awhile back there was a company that make an intake look like an intercooler and made it come through the bumper and people were like how did you get that to be Intercooled.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you even know what an intercooler is?!? please go read up.. thats like asking if a piston will fit in a rotory
Old 12-22-2005, 11:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Matixten
Yea I agree with the rest of the guys there would really be no reason to put a front mount there because it wouldn't have no reason there except for show. But I remember awhile back there was a company that make an intake look like an intercooler and made it come through the bumper and people were like how did you get that to be Intercooled.

your talking about the RICE ___ frount mount intakes you can pick them up on ebay for like $50 and then get laughed at every where you go

Old 12-22-2005, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not an expert but heard from professional that witha turbo set up the bigger the better does apply to a fmic. - Kind of like exhaust - from the same person he said no exhaust is best exhaust for a turbo. - doesnt apply to sc obvisouly.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Revilo,

Your question is really not stupid at all. If CAI is good because it pulls in cool air, why not use an intercooler to cool the air?

Here are my thoughts, I am by no means an expert on F/I, but I do know a little science. Heat is transferred from the intake air going into the engine to the cooler air blowing through the intercooler. The problem with your idea is that if you have a CAI, there will be no heat transfer because there is no temperature difference. If you don't have CAI there will only be a be a small temperature difference. Because of the flow restriction of the intercooler itself, plus that of all the piping required, you will be worse off than without it.

Originally Posted by Typhoon
Not an expert but heard from professional that witha turbo set up the bigger the better does apply to a fmic. - Kind of like exhaust - from the same person he said no exhaust is best exhaust for a turbo. - doesnt apply to sc obvisouly.
That's probably bacause the smaller the intercooler, the more it restricts airflow. You could probably even totally negate the gains from F/I by doing the intercooler incorrectly.

I don't see why it doesn't apply to S/C, but like I said, I really don't know anything about it.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Typhoon
Aright...Intercoolers 101:
An intercooler when properly sized up to the right turbo can greatly reduce charge temps and in some cases yield close to 30whp. There are soo many aspects of intercoolers that people dont realize such as what type,bar and plate, or delta fin, core size(how many rows do you think you need to really cool off that air=dependent on turbo size), endcap desings=major importance, bad endcap designs means bad airlfow and last but not least, I/C piping size. With these aspects, an intercooler could either make or break you. Lets just say that if I put a SRT 4 fmic on my old turbo xB, my car woulda been slower than a Geo Metro down low till that turbo started to spool. Now if you took the front mount off my xB and put it on the SRT 4 then it would hurt performance cause the air isnt getting cooled off enough. Thats where the R&D come in to find the optimal setup. I hope this helped you a lil bit.

BTW, no need for an I/C on a N/A tC...you want better cooling get a bigger radiator.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Having too big of an intercooler will kill most of the benefits of your turbo. Sure the air will be cooler but if it's too big, the air will lose velocity and you'll lose HP. But if the intercooler is too small then it wouldn't be efficient enough to cool the charge, it's not really about restriction but cooling efficiency. With exhausts bigger is NOT always better, same principle applies. If the pipe is too big you'll lose velocity and you'll lose power. Why do you think people don't just stick 3" exhausts on 4-bangers?

In a N/A setup, your car creates a vacuum to pull air into the intake, by making the pipe too long or complicated, the vacuum does work as well. Try this, use a 8" straw to drink from a glass, works good huh? Now try a 4' straw to drink from the same glass, not so easy is it?
Old 12-22-2005, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
Having too big of an intercooler will kill most of the benefits of your turbo. Sure the air will be cooler but if it's too big, the air will lose velocity and you'll lose HP. But if the intercooler is too small then it wouldn't be efficient enough to cool the charge, it's not really about restriction but cooling efficiency. With exhausts bigger is NOT always better, same principle applies. If the pipe is too big you'll lose velocity and you'll lose power. Why do you think people don't just stick 3" exhausts on 4-bangers?

In a N/A setup, your car creates a vacuum to pull air into the intake, by making the pipe too long or complicated, the vacuum does work as well. Try this, use a 8" straw to drink from a glass, works good huh? Now try a 4' straw to drink from the same glass, not so easy is it?
Like I said, I don't know much and just want to learn, so what about these thoughts?

It's pretty obvious you will lose velocity in the intercooler itself, but if you have a 3" pipe coming in to the intercooler and a 3" pipe coming out of the intercooler won't the velocity be the same going into the engine? Or is that not where it matters? I would think that the longer the air is in the intercooler the better because it would have more time to lose heat to the outside air.

I thought the exhause thing was a little different. Wouldn't it be better to run with no exhaust at all, just open cylinders (no header/exhaust manifold at all)?
Old 12-22-2005, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The inlet and outlet pipe to the intercooler matter as well (as SimplyScion mentioned). If you have too much volume to fill, it's going to take longer before your throttle body sees the pressure increase which will mean gigantic LAG.

With the exhaust, a turbo car, running an open down-pipe is beneficial since it will ease the exhaust pressure and allow the turbo to spool quicker. On an N/A car, the exhaust pulses and exit velocity of the gases help scavenge cylinders and the pressure can actually help your low end torque. (Someone correct on the N/A theory if I'm wrong)

Quick Reply: Intercooling N/A tC