Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Lost 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 07:52 PM

I didn't really see any answers. My miter was rebuilt. Everything fine at first. The 55th hear started slipping out of place. I would have to forceably told it in place till I could shift down to 4th. Then I had my oil changed to synthetic after as bout 1500 miles. It was 1 1/2 qts low. They supposedly replaced it with a new filter and 4 1/2 qts. 88 miles later it died. When I restarted I heard the knock. We ended up putting almost 2 qts over of something else. Still rod Knocking so towed it home. Couldnt get oil live place to pay for it. I had professional mechanics work on this car for 1 1/2 yr due to my finances but each one did something different. One took apart, one put together and 1. Installed.
Some other diy'ers got to thinking and said maybe it's the harmonic balancer. I did replace that bolt. Has anyone else had these issues? I have already put way to much money in this car. Almost everything is a new part. Defects? Anything would help
Old 03-10-2017, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorry to hear that you had so many issues with your tC. I'm trying to undestand what specifically you are asking about in this post. Are you asking about the engine or are you asking about 5th gear?

If it's about the trans, most likely 5th gear itself, 5th gear clutch hub and the 5th gear slider all need to be replaced. This happens due to heavy wear on the teeth that connect these components. Although not super common, this issue has occurred on several 5-speed toyota transmissions. The good part is that technically this can be done with the transmission left on the car. 5th gear is behind it's own smaller case that can be unbolted from the driver side of the trans case. You do need some specialized tools for the job.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:14 PM

Hello
Are saying i can get to both 5th gears drives from the side cover. If i want the Camry 5th gear set up I need to replace 5th gear and 5th drive gear correct? If i do this then i should gain the lower RPMs for better gas mileage?
Old 10-15-2019, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by bentheswift
Wow... torqued that nut down (90 ft-lbf), resealed the end cover, put everything back together, and wow it did it!!! 5th gear is back!

2 weeks ago I thought I was out a few thousand bucks for a new transmission... today I have my car running again for a total cost of $44: 2 quarts of Redline MT90, one new trans drain plug and gasket, and one 24mm end wrench that I had to buy to get the drain plug off after I almost rounded it with the croissant wrench. And to be fair, I had 90k on the old transmission fluid and it was time to change it anyways. Since I've seen other people on the internet with this same problem... hopefully it can come in handy for others in the future!! I will update it in a week or so or if anything changes. Thanks all for your insights (plus j3st3r for making those wonderful transmission threads).
Hey there, I'm new on this forum, so, if I am missing something, or going about this incorrectly, please forgive the ignorance. I wanted to get on here to ask a couple questions of the person who started this thread. I have an 08 Scion tC and I'm having the same exact problem you described almost to the 'T'. 120k miles, and the only difference is I was experiencing the grinding going into 4th, and then one day, my 5th gear popped out of gear while i was driving. I had to hold it in gear to be in 5th, then, about 30 mins later, 5th gear was no longer accessible at all, although, if I tried, i would get the same grinding, although, I always thought that the grinding came from whatever mechanism stopped you from shifting into a gear at the wrong time (i.e. dropping down from 5th to 2nd while still going 60 mph). Anyways, you gave a pretty good description of taking care of the problem, but, when it comes to transmissions and motors, I've never worked on them, and I've only ever replaced one clutch. With pretty much anything else, I'm pretty comfortable working on a car, but, normally with this kind of stuff, I would just put it in a shop. I'm hesitant to do so, because of hearing too many stories about people paying for a new tranny, when it was something as simple as this. All that being said, if there is any way you could write a slightly dumbed down version of what you did, I would be extremely grateful.
Thanks.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-15-2019 at 08:18 AM.