Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Lots Of Power!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Lots Of Power!

So lately I've been working on figuring out what I need to get all the power I can possibly get out of my tC without ripping stuff out of the inside and making it lighter and all that drag goodness...But I'm specifically talking about the engine here.

I've been thinking about working on the engine before I do any boosted applications on the tC, just not only to be on the safe side when I get a turbo kit because I know I'll be tempted to turn the boost up...but because my ultimate goal of my tC is the squeeze 400hp out of it when it's all done.

Is there anything anyone recommends? Even if it means getting into custom work, it can be done, my friends dad has been working on all sorts of engine for his whole life so he knows a lot about what he's doing and I've seen him rebuild my friends 95 Eclipse Engine. But anways.

I've been thinking about getting the new ZPI Stage 1 Head first so I can get way better airflow there, (And getting the ARP studs and head gasket that can be bought along with it too.) People are saying that the pistons in the tC are pretty weak, so I'll end up getting those but I won't be installing them until I start using boost cause the ones I'm going to get are the ZPI Turbo Pistons, and they run a 8.5.1 Compression where the stock tC ones use 9.6.1... I'm not too sure if upgrading to these would be a good idea because my friend said I would be losing some power since I'm downgrading compression without any boost. I'm not sure how that works out but he's going to college for engine's and everything about cars so I'll take his word for it.
And I'll be upgrading my clutch and flywheel and all that good stuff.

Is there anything I'm missing or should take into account for custom work done to the tC? Or is there anything else out there I should probably look at (buy or get done) to make the tC handle more power? Or gain better power, without a turbo kit, but I eventually plan on getting a kit later down the road...So I'm just beefing up my engine so I know I'll be able to handle a good amount of boost and have added power on top of that.

I'm also not incredibly smart with all this so excuse anything that made me sound like an idiot, I know "mostly" what I'm talking about but there are still a loooott of things I don't know about. So don't be too harsh
Old 12-02-2005, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats alot of thinking. I am in similar shoes.
Except i am waiting on everyone testing the turbos. Like for maybe 8 months....wait till all the quirks and kinks are worked out and watch people get mad power, then follow the safest route...lol
Old 12-02-2005, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah exactly, plus I mean, I'd rather have a safe built up engine before putting a turbo on there rather than putting a turbo on there and either messing it up or just upgrading engine parts later on and having the turbo get in the way...
Old 12-02-2005, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if your going to have cash to do custom then get a light weight crank made and some new cams valve springs and retainers the rods are still good form what we have seen and also do a new intake manifold and ported t/b then turbo it and run like 12 psi and you will be one happy **** (only saying **** becosue i have been warned to many times lol)
Old 12-02-2005, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Your friend is right about the compression. When going for boost, you want to lower the compression a bit typically to account for the higher pressures under boost. But, if you do it now you are going lose some power.... Now, I personally would wait to put the head in if you are planning for boost anyway. That way you can replace it all at once and not run into buying a second head gasket.

Other than the parts you mentioned, if you really are going for 400 hp you will need axles (others have snapped theirs running that much power) and a clutch for sure. So a quick list of items would look something like:

Head
Head gasket and studs
Pistons
Turbo
Emanage (or something similar)
Larger injectors
Clutch
Flywheel
Axles
FMIC
Exhaust

And dont forget.. you may want to upgrade the brakes if you are going to be running that much power.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Money money money.... MONEY!
Old 12-03-2005, 05:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, well thanks for the feed back, it's greatly appreciated...If anyone else has stuff to mention then please do! I'd like to hear from as many people as possible, I'm sure others are wondering what else they could do to their tC to make it top of the line as well And yeah, I'll definitly be needing lots o' monah