Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

misshifted and redlined at 8000rpms

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by vvti24
sorry for misinterpreting, when i meant idling at 4k is when im crusing at around 80mph i hear a whistling noise.. i dont know if im being just paranoid but i feel like my car's droning a lot more too...
note i have basic bolt ons, injen cai, trd exhaust, alphawerks header and 2.5 inch magnaflow resonator...
Like i said, its your intake. I knew what you ment.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you are just paranoid, im not 100% sure but we do have a fuel cutoff and/or ignition cutoff at around 6800 rpms. If you feel like your car is droning-then your ecu is mad at you lol. have you tried reseting your ecu?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll try the ecu method.. but intakes dont make the whistle sound when idling only when accelerating..
Old 10-10-2006, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you are just paranoid, im not 100% sure but we do have a fuel cutoff and/or ignition cutoff at around 6800 rpms
But none of that matters if you downshift to second gear going 50mph. Despite any kind of electronic limiter, you're still going to over-rev the car and run the risk of damaging your engine.

Doing a compression test and a leakdown test will tell for sure if anything is amiss.

If they come back as normal, then nothing's wrong.

The whistling noise is your intake. The air going through the intake manifold becomes audible at higher RPMs with the addition of an intake. You're not idling if you're cruising at 80mph. There's a distinct difference between 700rpms and 4000.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im not flaming or anything, but how is it people seem to misshift from 3 to 2? it honestly take a real concious effort for me to go into second from any higher gear. and this is anytime even if im mashing gears. the only handful of times i misshifted i was extremly distracted sooo... idk. and yes this is my first stick shift car.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so while going through the gears 1,2,3,4,5, we HAVE rev limiter? But while Downshifting, we can rev without the limiter? i didnt know this.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by onefatcloud
so while going through the gears 1,2,3,4,5, we HAVE rev limiter? But while Downshifting, we can rev without the limiter? i didnt know this.
yes if you accelerate to redline, i.e. you forget to shift, your limiter will cut fuel or spark and not allow the engine to rev more. but if you accidentally downshift, the car cannot disengage the clutch for you and your engine will redline
Old 10-10-2006, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

most of the time i just dont down shift, i will just put hte car into neutral and apply the brakes, because brakes are a hell of alot cheaper to replace than a transmission.

then when i need to speed up i will put it in the proper gear and go, that why i avoid any chance of mishifting while downshiftng.

however, i have mishifted before on a friends sentra spec v.. i went from 5th to 4th.. damn was that bad
Old 10-10-2006, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it happens a lot, ive almost done it a few times... where im not quite sure if I am in gear or not, i never let the clutch out until i am entirely sure...

mattvs is right, do a compression test and a leakdown test
Old 10-10-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rivas_203
Originally Posted by onefatcloud
yes if you accelerate to redline, i.e. you forget to shift, your limiter will cut fuel or spark and not allow the engine to rev more. but if you accidentally downshift, the car cannot disengage the clutch for you and your engine will redline
Yes, since if you're accelerating, the ECU can cut off ignition to cut you out of redline. Now when you downshift, then the wheels are turning the engine too fast, and no piece of software can prevent that.

Originally Posted by blackonblacktc
most of the time i just dont down shift, i will just put hte car into neutral and apply the brakes, because brakes are a hell of alot cheaper to replace than a transmission.

then when i need to speed up i will put it in the proper gear and go, that why i avoid any chance of mishifting while downshiftng.

however, i have mishifted before on a friends sentra spec v.. i went from 5th to 4th.. damn was that bad
Shouldn't be coasting in neutral, my friend

Should just let off the gas, and coast in your current gear until you have to hit the brakes. Then once you hit to right above 1k RPM, clutch in and go to neutral
Old 10-10-2006, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Should just let off the gas, and coast in your current gear until you have to hit the brakes. Then once you hit to right above 1k RPM, clutch in and go to neutral
Why do you say not to coast in neutral?
Old 10-10-2006, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
Why shouldn't he be coasting in neutral?

I do it all the time.. When I let off the gas in gear my car gets VERY loud. The only way to make it quiet is to put in in neutral and coast.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, its dangerous to do so. The first thing is that you aren't in full control over the vehicle. Also, if you throw it in neutral going downhill, you'll just waste brakes and depending on how long the hill is, possibly overheating them.

Also, if for some reason, your engine were to stall in neutral, then you could lose many essential systems. If you leave it in gear even if the gas ran out the engine would still keep going, giving you a chance to pull over somewhere.

Also, its illegal in many places

Besides, guys, wouldn't you rather use engine braking and then use brakes when you finally have to stop? I think it really saves a lot of brakes.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
Besides, guys, wouldn't you rather use engine braking and then use brakes when you finally have to stop? I think it really saves a lot of brakes.
Over a long period of time I would rather pay a few hundred for brake pads instead of paying for few thousand on an engine/transmition.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I think the tC has issues with going from 5th to 3rd ...then into 4th. I think that anybody that wants to make sure things are lined up .... go from 5th to 4th quickly then into 3rd. I had it miss shift once and ive been doing that recently (and if i dont i wont slam it into gear anymore) - Thank god the redline is there ...thats why it is.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i mainly missshifted because of the twm stage II short shifter.. its about 60percent reduction... everything is too close together.. that's why its so easy to misshift.. i shoulda just got the stage 1, but i wanted the short stick look... either way im glad i gota the tC... i heard of many people with the RSX type S misshifting once and thier engine's gone...
Old 10-11-2006, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, shortshifters arent for everyone... and IMO they arent that great at all. I like to keep my hand as close to the wheel as possible. TRD Quickshifter FTW. Never had a problem.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TWM stage 1 is awesome, feels great.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any monkey can drive an automatic, properly handling a manual is a beautiful thing. and also, downshifting burns more gas. so your in a sense burning more gas to slow down...and putting more wear and tear on your tranny to save you brakes alittle heat...i use engine braking on occasion, like in frostburg, there is a steep hill with a 20 mph limit, i just coast down in second gear. but on my way to lavale down route 40, i coast down the hill in neutral just tapping my brakes to stay near the speed limit. so i'm going 50 mph using the same amount of gas it takes for a tc to idle at a stop. course then i offset the gas savings by flying back up the mountain, but i think my point remains valid
Old 10-11-2006, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i still say coasting in neutral is better.

simply because to replace a clutch is a hell of alot more than to replace a neutral.

and also, you are in complete control, it only takes two seconds to shift back into gear if you need to pick up speed.[/list]

Quick Reply: misshifted and redlined at 8000rpms