Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

My adventures with the full Megan Racing kit... !!I WIN!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My adventures with the full Megan Racing kit... !!I WIN!!

Ok, so, as I've gone out of my way to say for weeks... I have a full Megan Racing exhaust setup, consisting of the MR 4-1 header, s-pipe, midpipe, and OE-RS axleback.

Well, as an exhaust alone, the OE-RS is great (from listening to the idle and low RPMs, I know this). However, as a headerback exhaust...

I gave the system a chance to break in, so to speak, but the rasp is unbearable... it might not really be that bad, but I hate it at this point. At idle and low RPMs and when the engine is not working hard, it's not there... but at WOT (a place I enjoy being often lol ) it's like a ____ed off killer bee. Now, I may not know a lot about exhausts, but I think it's attributed to a number of things:

1. The midpipe is not much different from the stock. The large 2nd resonator is the same size. The 2nd cat on the stock midpipe is replaced by another resonator, same size as the cat.
2. The muffler on the axleback, while larger than the OEM, appears to look the same... I'm not sure if this means anything, but ya know...
3. The above 2 coupled with the fact the tubing is larger... now, that in itself is agood thing, I like 2.5" tubing... however, having such small resonators for this purpose and a muffler that seems to act like the OEM kind of seems like a bad thing...

It appears to me as of Megan didn't gear this exhaust kit to those of us with a header... even if it's there's!

So, I'm going to a Meineke tomorrow to let them listen to it and make a suggestion... but I'll post a vid of how it is NOW sometime tomorrow (I have the vid, just need to upload it). But anyway, I will be beating this problem, whatever it takes... minus selling off all my parts .

Just a precautionary tale for those wanting this system. I'll keep y'all updated.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

upload it to youtube
Old 07-27-2006, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great info, thanks for saving me cash
Old 07-27-2006, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI, according to the megan website it is 2.25 not 2.5. Almost same as stock.

http://www.meganracing.com/products/...asp?prodid=518
Old 07-27-2006, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Then I was lied to lol
Old 07-29-2006, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

shoulda just got the drift spec.. lol
Old 07-29-2006, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

this exhaust is a shiny version of the OEM exhaust
Plain and simple
Old 07-29-2006, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I only don't like it because it won't play nice with my header, but I still think it's a good exhaust. You just flat out ditest it, what's up?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

funny how alot of people were saying that this exhaust would be perfect for headers cuase it sounds quiet by itself and has 2 resonaters. im lucky i dint pre order on the promise of the g35 sound shinny looks and performance. and i read one bad tcs post about it, to him it sounds just like stock quite and ummm thats it so i guess it seems like a waste.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Score! Ok, so I got the rasp almost entirely gone. I had a Magnaflow high-flow cat welded on in place of the first resonator on the OE-RS midpipe. I don't care about performance loss. If I wanted performance, I wouldn't have gotten a Megan header... hell, I wouldn't have gotten a header at all, I would've gotten a turbo. This was performance to an extent plus looks for me. Anyway, so the rasp now only chirps at 2500 RPM and is MUCH quieter when it comes up at WOT (it still comes up a good bit then, but that was to be expected... combatting WOT rasp is a different beast). Anyway, so I feel triumphant in most senses and I am happy. When I want to totally, 100% kill all rasp, I will have a very large Magnaflow resonator welded in to replace the main OE-RS one. Other than that, case closed. I have won!
Old 08-09-2006, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on the win.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SF2K4
Score! Ok, so I got the rasp almost entirely gone. I had a Magnaflow high-flow cat welded on in place of the first resonator on the OE-RS midpipe. I don't care about performance loss. If I wanted performance, I wouldn't have gotten a Megan header... hell, I wouldn't have gotten a header at all, I would've gotten a turbo. This was performance to an extent plus looks for me. Anyway, so the rasp now only chirps at 2500 RPM and is MUCH quieter when it comes up at WOT (it still comes up a good bit then, but that was to be expected... combatting WOT rasp is a different beast). Anyway, so I feel triumphant in most senses and I am happy. When I want to totally, 100% kill all rasp, I will have a very large Magnaflow resonator welded in to replace the main OE-RS one. Other than that, case closed. I have won!
Just curios as to why you spent that kind of money on parts you will never see if you don't care about performance.

how much did your high flow cat cost you. Just parts not install.

congrats on your defeat even if I think its silly.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:09 AM
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

FTW!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HP_Pirate
Just curios as to why you spent that kind of money on parts you will never see if you don't care about performance.

how much did your high flow cat cost you. Just parts not install.

congrats on your defeat even if I think its silly.
Because I don't have enough money for a turbo and I don't want to hurt my warranty. And I never said I don't care about performance, I just said that if it was ALL about performance, I would have gotten a different header and not cared about the rasp because straight open pipe = power. I got a decent power gain (the butt dyno feels great... definitely much more get up and go then before) and a good looking exhaust and engine bay. In my mind, that's worth it. Not everyone can devote all their time to pure power. I rarely take this to the track or strip or anything.

The cat cost $60 on discount and I got the labor done very cheap. So yay.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well at least you care enough to do it right. thats whats important, no mader what the reasons. I see civics come in to my dealership all the time with just a header and a welded on muffler and even though I know they only did it for looks and I am one of the few people that sees the underside it makes me puke that someone just half @**ed it. so good job and keep doing it right.

My dad is welder with his own shop so I don't need to worry about labor, just if I can borrow his welder and tools. its good that you got a good deal though.