Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

noise in timing chain area

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Red face noise in timing chain area

Hey all. I've searched the forums for a topic related to my question and haven't really found anything to satisfy me. So I figured I'd just go ahead and ask. My '06 tC has 94,000 miles on it. It had 80,000 when I got it. The other day my hubby said he heard like a "knock" coming from the timing chain area. It only does it when the motor is warmed up and ran for a little bit because I have yet to hear this noise or I would've noticed it the other night when we jumpstarted one of his dad's cars. Anyway, I figured it couldn't be anything so serious as a stretched timing chain on such a young motor (as I like to call it) unless the guy who had the car before us did nothing but race it. There's no change in power, or gas milage, and I'm sure its not the a/c compressor or I would've noticed that too cuz we"ve been running the defrost here a lot lately. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only time a new chain is needed is when the Chain tensioners start to fail and you get a "slapping" sound,but have you check out the serpentine belt,maybe its loose or needs to be replaced
Old 09-28-2011, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

94K on a timing chain is nothing, if the cars had a belt system then sure.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by skeeter04
Hey all. I've searched the forums for a topic related to my question and haven't really found anything to satisfy me. So I figured I'd just go ahead and ask. My '06 tC has 94,000 miles on it. It had 80,000 when I got it. The other day my hubby said he heard like a "knock" coming from the timing chain area. It only does it when the motor is warmed up and ran for a little bit because I have yet to hear this noise or I would've noticed it the other night when we jumpstarted one of his dad's cars. Anyway, I figured it couldn't be anything so serious as a stretched timing chain on such a young motor (as I like to call it) unless the guy who had the car before us did nothing but race it. There's no change in power, or gas milage, and I'm sure its not the a/c compressor or I would've noticed that too cuz we"ve been running the defrost here a lot lately. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

take a look in the area of the water pump, it might be failing. the design of the water pump is an older design from 05-06, in 07 they changed the design of it. The noise usually is the bearing dying, also you'll notice a white. crusty residue, that's coolant that has dried. take a look around the fan belt area for this. the noise is a clanking/knocking.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea i thought also it couldnt be a chain. but i haent thought about the water pump or the belt. i will definately check out under the hood this evening when i get home from work. hubby takes me to work and picks me up so it'll have a good 30 min drive back and forth. thank you for the info, i'll keep y'all informed.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok guys. im still puzzled about this topic. I have yet to find out what it is. I have a noise from the passenger side of the motor. Whenever we first start the car up and take off, while the motor is still "cold" it sounds like a diesel. While the car is sitting and idling, you can hear a loudish "click" noise. It's a random beat and can hear it through the hood and even inside the car sometimes. I havent seen any kind of fluid leakage whatsoever. No dried antifreeze, oil, anything. The motor is so clean you could literally eat off it. My fiance is dead set on it being the timing chain/oil chain but I seriously dont think it is, and it better not be for over $400. Our neighbors at work are a garage who said he has a stethascope for engines to see where noise is coming from. Im trying to get my fiance down here with the car before they leave this evening to try it, im hoping its nothing serious. ANY kind of other input is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this sounds like a typical issue with the 2az-fe engine, it can range from valve clearance issue, to the pistons, to timing.

Let me post a few sound clips, u tell us which one it sounds like?

OR

OR

Old 11-17-2011, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It could be the chain actually. I had '95 200SX and around the same mileage I had to replace chain, tensioner, etc. I cannot remember the root cause though. Maybe the tensioner went bad but they replaced everything. I am just saying, it could happen! Does the should happen under acceleration only? This would cause the chain to "stretch" out and rub the tensioner and guides.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well the boys next door listened to it and are looking at a diagram of the motor as we speak. The noise sounds exactly like the first video bu tnowhere near that severe. its actually quiet compared to that and is a randome noise. like it clicks once, pauces for 2 seconds, clicks twice, pauses for 5 seconds, noise again. they put the stethascope to it and both said it sounded like noise coming from the tensioner pulley but the actual clicking noise was coming from the timing cover. They also mentioned that the guides are plastic so maybe one of the teeth broke off and is flopping around in there. its not getting worse or anything, but it looks like i"ll have to get the kit to redo the chain and pulley and guides anyway. i hear ebay callig. lol.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The first video resulted in a spun bearing / rod i believe. Low oil. Check your oil level lately?

One last clip for you, cuz this is how MY car sounds like..... just about spot on... Which is claimed to be normal wear and tear noise for these engines. I've had this noise for about 30K miles now probably.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea my motor has that noise. i know thats normal. and i found out it is my timing chain. they also looked it up and said theyre are two different types of chains for the tc's cuz there are two different colored links. anyone know anything about this? i dont wanna order the wrong chain. my oil level is fine, in fact we changed the oil in it about 2 weeks ago. the noise is definately coming from the side of my motor not the bottom end. i started sticking my ear everywhere when i heard it to see where it was coming from. lol.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

eh must be getting close to that mileage . I'm at 115,000 miles, no timing chain issues yet. and I live in WI. brrrrr
Old 11-18-2011, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea sadly mine was pre-owned. only had 80,000 on it when we got it, now its sittn at 100,000 mi. it had the noise when we got it but never payed attention to it until we noticed how quiet my friend's tc was. lol. oh well, as long as i know what it is now. i dont have to jump right to fixing it, its just i dont like noises. lol
Old 11-23-2011, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not that i wanna keep carrying on this topic but i have one more bit of info i have to find out before i go about buying a kit. what is toyota talking about there being 2 different types of "timing chains" for the tc? i thought they were talking about them having the 2 seperate chains (oil pump chain & the actaul timing chain) but they said there are 2 different actual timing chains for these cars because the links are different. so are they made of different material or something or does it have to do something with the years?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have built 05/06 and 07+ motors - the 07+ motors have a timing chain with diff colored links for timing markers than the 05/06, however I did a comparison once and they are the exact same length and the markers are in the exact same place. As far as I can tell there is no real difference other than color :/ Just checked the parts reference and it looks like youll need to pull the valve cover and see which color marks you have -

If the marks are orange and yellow, or pink and yellow - pn - 13506‑28010
If the marks are blue and gold, or gold - pn - 13506‑28020

Looks like the part itself is the same price either way - around $120.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check your oil filler . I've come across some that have been bent and hitting cam causing noise. Usually would go away at moderate rpms. Just remove your oil cap and check to see if plate missing or bent. Changing oil at your local repair shop or when refilling engine oil with a filler neck is What usually causes this plate to brake or bend
Old 12-26-2013, 05:35 PM

My engine is making the exact same noise as the first video, when giving it some gas, it makes the noise, but at high RPM's it goes away. You said that is a spun bearing rod. Is this something I could myself, if not, how many labor hours is it for when I go to a shop.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by fongyz
this sounds like a typical issue with the 2az-fe engine, it can range from valve clearance issue, to the pistons, to timing.

Let me post a few sound clips, u tell us which one it sounds like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LK9LrNnGN0

OR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmrb7RJOMeA

OR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZwKl2qsWFI

what is that noise from the third video? My ‘09 tc is making that exact noise. Is that the timing belt tensioner or guides?
Old 07-07-2022, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by adamsbro
what is that noise from the third video? ...
Several people in the comments section say "bad water pump". A cardboard or pvc tube comes in handy to isolate noise. Needs to be two or three feet long. One end of the tube goes to your ear and the other end goes close to the suspected source of noise. Just be careful and don't allow the tube to touch the accessory belt or cooling fan.