Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

O2 sensor removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Default O2 sensor removal

I was removing the O2 sensor to swap exhaust manifolds, and I think I stripped the threads(re-tightens after 3/4 turn). Is there anything I can do to get the sensor off, or will I have to buy a new one. If so, does anybody know where to get the electrical connection to go with a universal. I searched and didn't find anything for Scion/Toyota.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Does it look cross threaded. If it doesn't keep on unscrewing it.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Default Re: O2 sensor removal

Originally Posted by syberspyder
I was removing the O2 sensor to swap exhaust manifolds, and I think I stripped the threads(re-tightens after 3/4 turn). Is there anything I can do to get the sensor off, or will I have to buy a new one. If so, does anybody know where to get the electrical connection to go with a universal. I searched and didn't find anything for Scion/Toyota.
Well you can buy a cheap 4 wire (don't quote me because I don't remember exactly how many wires are on the O2) O2 sensor like denso and wire it in.

Lastly, they sell O2 removal sockets at your local advanced auto, pep boys, autozone, etc.

I don't know if anyone ever posted the connections for the universal kind but you can always meter. You know there will be a power and a ground and so all you need ot do is figure out the last 2. Your universal O2 will have directions as to what the wires on it correlate to and might even have manufacturers wire color for easy installation.

Lastly, you can always hit up eBay for an O2 that's PNP, there are bound to be some on there.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04
Well you can buy a cheap 4 wire (don't quote me because I don't remember exactly how many wires are on the O2) O2 sensor like denso and wire it in.

Lastly, they sell O2 removal sockets at your local advanced auto, pep boys, autozone, etc.

I don't know if anyone ever posted the connections for the universal kind but you can always meter. You know there will be a power and a ground and so all you need ot do is figure out the last 2. Your universal O2 will have directions as to what the wires on it correlate to and might even have manufacturers wire color for easy installation.

Lastly, you can always hit up eBay for an O2 that's PNP, there are bound to be some on there.
It is a 4 wire, as for buying a universal, I'm a little worried about CARB though(there are California specific O2 sensors when doing a search)

I did use an O2 socket for this.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to make one more attempt at this, and then probably buy a universal Denso.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by syberspyder
It is a 4 wire, as for buying a universal, I'm a little worried about CARB though(there are California specific O2 sensors when doing a search)

I did use an O2 socket for this.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to make one more attempt at this, and then probably buy a universal Denso.
Wow and it still stripped when I had to get mine out of the stock header and s-pipe I took it to the Advanced Auto Parts, put it on a bench vise and cranked the heck out of it until it came off and it didn't strip well if you reuse the same one or buy a different one use some anti-seize paste on the threads. That stuff is a gift from the heavens above lol.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

If the threads strip, is it the exhaust threads that strip, or the O2 sensors, or both? If it is just the exhaust I could work with that.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

It'll be hard to tell until you go to put it back in.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Well, I was able to get it off. I let it soak in WD40 for about a half hour, then put a breaker bar on the O2 socket and slowly unscrewed it. The threads on the sensor are stripped, but I was still able to put it back on(I don't have enough time to install the manifold today). I also put some anti-seize on the threads, so hopefully it comes off easier next time. No CEL when starting the car, so it looks like its ok.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Sounds like a winner
Old 06-15-2009, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Justy fyi for future reference - you cant use the universal 4 wire - our primary 02 sensor is a wideband sensor (similar in function to the common lsu 4.2 wideband sensor), it functions much like the 6 wire wideband sensors you see but instead uses 4 wires due to a difference in design (our 02 sensor measures current fluctation required to maintain a certain voltage due to flucuation in resistance rather than reading voltage fluctuation as result of change in resistance - which how the typical 6 wire wideband sensor work) , the universal 4 wire sensors are narrowband sensors and will not function properly with our ecu - now you can replace the secondary sensor with a universal - but not the primary. Just want to make sure everyone is aware of this. As for replacements im currently using one from ebay - i cant find it at the moment but its a denso - i can get the p/n if needed - i paid $75 for it