Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Performance. Need advice please

Old 08-23-2005, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member

Default Performance. Need advice please

Hello Scion freaks

I need some advice. I'm new here and the board is just jammed with so much content, its almost impossible to search for what I need.

I have a 2005 Scion tC. I have not touched anything on the car in anyway.
Its a stick also, not automatic.

I want to increase the horsepower at least 20 - 40hp if possible.

What do you recommend? Please list

- brand / model
- parts
- est hp increase per part

Thank you in advance.

PS: kelly blue book says my car is worth $14,400 dealer / $16,000 private on 15k miles. If you were in my shoes, would you sell it and buy an '06 with the newer features (whatever they may be) and spend only a few thousand down to pay the difference in one shot? That is, I get my car payment for my car after selling it, then pay the difference for the '06 in cash / check one time (with the money recieved for the '05 sold). I'm thinking about it but waiting to see when the supercharged tc will arrive.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

As far as trading the car goes - I was thinking about it, but decided that it's not worth it just for a slightly different stereo and steering wheel controls. Let's say you manage to sell it private party for $15K, then the new one will run you close to $18 with taxes... $3K for a stereo? Don't think so.

As far as HP goes - if you want to really feel the difference - take these $3K that you just saved by keeping your '05 and wait couple of months for the TRD SC to come out. All these funny intakes, headers, exhausts make a whole lot of noise, but don't seem to add real ponies. At least I haven't seen amazingly fast 1/4 times from the people who have spent $1K+ on these "noise" mods. Oh, and blowing somebody away from the light feels much better when they can't see you making an effort. Loud exhaust/intake ruin the surprise.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

while i agree a sleeper is the best route... every little thing helps... exhaust, maybe 5-7 whp. CAI, add 5 more. headers... tack on up to 10. s pipe... add 3 or 4. every bit helps.

exhaust
hks
greddy (has 2 models)
megan racing (this is new)
injen
magnaflow
borla (sp?)
creative compacts
and thats all i can think of off the top of my head

intake
k&n CAI
injen CAI
weapon r sort ram (but they also have a cold air box)
AEM but they pulled theirs for a rerelease cause it was ____e
is that it... i cant remember.

header
alphaworks
dc
megan racing

s-pipe
so far i believe ony ZPI makes one

look in the dealer review section for stores that carry parts for the tc... and hang around for a while... the tc is a HOT selling car and companies are doing a lot dev work. this is kinda the defacto forum for scions so hang out and watch the boards.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys forgot to mention the ZPI head. It's good for at least 20hp.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

[quote="zoltiz"] All these funny intakes, headers, exhausts make a whole lot of noise, but don't seem to add real ponies. At least I haven't seen amazingly fast 1/4 times from the people who have spent $1K+ on these "noise" mods.quote]
noise makers?

well of course headers and back will make a car louder, as well as an intake

so your telling me if i were to buy the MMW header/Spipe combo, i wouldnt see a jump in WHP? only a jump in my noise dyno? get real man, for 1 grand you could get MMW header &s pipe, and an intake.

or you could go a little cheaper and get the DC header, CC spipe, cc full exhaust, and an intake, which is just over 1 grand, and all of that installed with produce 15+ whp imo.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Show me the slip - all these theoretical whp gains are just that - theoretical, untill you can show a 15.0 slip from the track.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guys guys guys... you'll have to pardon zolitz. Ever since that tragic bee keeper incident, he's been nervous of the totally tizite bumble bee mods. You'll just have to forgive him.

:p

I have to agree. If you want something you'll enjoy and really feel as opposed to hear, get some FI. Later you can worry about all that stuff if you're still interested.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY
Originally Posted by zoltiz
All these funny intakes, headers, exhausts make a whole lot of noise, but don't seem to add real ponies. At least I haven't seen amazingly fast 1/4 times from the people who have spent $1K+ on these "noise" mods.
noise makers?

well of course headers and back will make a car louder, as well as an intake

so your telling me if i were to buy the MMW header/Spipe combo, i wouldnt see a jump in WHP? only a jump in my noise dyno? get real man, for 1 grand you could get MMW header &s pipe, and an intake.

or you could go a little cheaper and get the DC header, CC spipe, cc full exhaust, and an intake, which is just over 1 grand, and all of that installed with produce 15+ whp imo.
If you wait that the MMW header release, you will spend the same 1 grand, but with the difference that you will have 19 whp with only the header and the WR intake. Also, if you install a good exhaust, you should get even more...
Old 08-24-2005, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

zoltiz, go look at some dyno's
Old 08-24-2005, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as trading the car goes - I was thinking about it, but decided that it's not worth it just for a slightly different stereo and steering wheel controls. Let's say you manage to sell it private party for $15K, then the new one will run you close to $18 with taxes... $3K for a stereo? Don't think so.

As far as HP goes - if you want to really feel the difference - take these $3K that you just saved by keeping your '05 and wait couple of months for the TRD SC to come out. All these funny intakes, headers, exhausts make a whole lot of noise, but don't seem to add real ponies. At least I haven't seen amazingly fast 1/4 times from the people who have spent $1K+ on these "noise" mods. Oh, and blowing somebody away from the light feels much better when they can't see you making an effort. Loud exhaust/intake ruin the surprise.
Zoltiz i have dynos to show that with the addition of just a header (AW) and Intake i gained 14hp 12tq at the wheels, with a 4sp. So all the claims of 20+whp are not unfounded and achieved by other people besides the vendors. However you are right when you say that there have not been any significant reduction of track times shown from adding these mods. But then again this can be attributed to the simple lack of people taking their time to dyno and track test their cars. Go to any forum besides a TC board and multiple pages can be found on track times and dynos. This is lacking quite a bit on any TC board, the only one with even such information is ClubscionTC. Also driver skill is an issue many folks that go to the track with I,H,E might simply lack the skill to take advantage of such mods. Time will tell as more people take the initiative to go and test their power additives.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just wait until i finish my car

you'll see some track times then!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Skill does not matter much - track time before mods / track time after mods - all I need to see is the difference. I don't care if your best run was 18sec before modding the car as long as it's a consistent 18sec.

I've seen the dynos, lots of them, some (6whp K&N CAI) looked more trustworthy than others (13whp gain on Weapon-R SR...), but I haven't seen any but one 0-60 or 1/4 run before/after mods. The only one I've seen was done on the auto (so pretty consistent), best of 3 runs before/after intake, and it was actually showing worse times with the intake. So please, prove me wrong.

The funny thing is that even with 20whp gain from i/h/e the car becomes so loud and obnoxious that all these 20 ponies are useless if you want to keep low profile and avoid racing / display of speed/acceleration tickets. So why bother? I guess I'm too old for this stuff.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Skill does not matter much

Old 08-24-2005, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Skill does not matter much - track time before mods / track time after mods - all I need to see is the difference. I don't care if your best run was 18sec before modding the car as long as it's a consistent 18sec.

I've seen the dynos, lots of them, some (6whp K&N CAI) looked more trustworthy than others (13whp gain on Weapon-R SR...), but I haven't seen any but one 0-60 or 1/4 run before/after mods. The only one I've seen was done on the auto (so pretty consistent), best of 3 runs before/after intake, and it was actually showing worse times with the intake. So please, prove me wrong.

The funny thing is that even with 20whp gain from i/h/e the car becomes so loud and obnoxious that all these 20 ponies are useless if you want to keep low profile and avoid racing / display of speed/acceleration tickets. So why bother? I guess I'm too old for this stuff.

The times you are describing are these by Ray Mx6gt91:

http://www.clubsciontc.com/modules.p...ewtopic&t=1985

And this is obvious it a 4sp auto it cant launch, a 5sp would not suffer from lowend torque loss with a CAI to the same degree. Here is an example of someone who did experience an increase in his ET and a common member here. And quite an interesting video he posted. Again this goes back to my statement not enough people have taken thier time to dyno and track test their cars. We simply dont have an answer until more data is available. Also we are not implying or exaggerating HP release potential of certain mods, we all know the 12.9 WHP gain of the WR unit was bogus.

http://www.clubsciontc.com/modules.p...ewtopic&t=3716
Old 08-24-2005, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

this thread is gettin out of hand need i remind all of you that somone came looking for help... aside from my post and one or two others, its been arguing about bolt on preformance parts...

all i want to ask zolitz is... if these bolt on parts dont do anything , why are so many pro (ie full sponsored like here we give you parts that are custom made for what ever you tell us) using the same type of things. granted the ones we get are mass produced... but they still follow the same concept. its been proven on many other cars. from 3 cyl.s to 12. from ford fiesta's to nismo custom built r-34's. yes FI gives you more power, but it still relies on the same principle of a CAI, in that it gets more air into the cylinder. and the larger exhaust you see with larger SC or turbos works on the same princaple of a cat/axel back exhaust kit and header. its on a smaller scale, but its stiil the same idea.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Bolt on parts don't do enough to justify the noise and cost. They are fun to play with, experiment, learn about your car, I did have a CAI, DC header, TRD muffler at one time or the other on the tC, and pretty much the same combo on my Matrix, but nothing made me happier than the SC. I dumped over a grand on little bolt-ons for the Matrix and it was not even close to the difference that $2500 SC made. With tC cheap bolt-ons made even less difference, that's the reason I am advocating not wasting your time and money on these things. If SC is definitely out of the question for you for some reason - knock yourself out, get the little things and make a big bumble bee out of your car - I guess that's what teens are after these days, but for me power is more attractive than attracting attention.

If you are going to spend money on something - why not make it count?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member

ive added these parts to my 05 tc so far:
dc sports headers
dc sports exhaust
dc sports carbon steel strut bar
k&n cold air intake
short throw shifter from vertex racing(bought on ebay)
in channel rain guards( still have yet to see anyone else w/ these!!)
tinted windows (20%)

i would love to put a supercharger but nobody makes one yet!!
id say i probably have about 200bhp after all the mods and ive only spent about 1500 so far....
Old 08-24-2005, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

be patient and grab a TRD supercharger when they are finally released, then slap a resized pulley on there from www.NonStopTuning.com and go spank some hondas

but seriously, take a look around these boards to see what others have experimented with and go from there. the best "mod" you can probably do is to get more accustomed to your car and get better at driving it. better driver always equals better times
Old 08-25-2005, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

Originally Posted by jsny05tc
id say i probably have about 200bhp after all the mods and ive only spent about 1500 so far....
I would say that too, but it wouldn't be any more true if I said it...so you're guessing?