Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Power Potential of Bolt-Ons

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 05:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

300 plus cc injectors are fantastic. Great potential to deliver fuel way beyond what bolt-ons would give you. Anyone know the lph of the pump 100, 150 maybe?

As for the lack of a harmonic balancer in the crank pulley. Some modern engines today are completely internally balanced, and little is lost by running without the balancer. The SR20 for instance can run UR pulleys without any issue whatsoever. Dozens of guys road race season after season with them.

Are there throttle bodies, MAFs, ECU tunes, cam gears, or anything else that anyone knows of?

And again, I'd like to hear more about this head work. =)

EDIT: I see some mentioned a TB that is out. Who makes it and what are potential gains?
Old 10-22-2006, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to be honest... you arent going to see any difference from bolt on mods... just upgrade your suspension and call it a day.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mike6789k
to be honest... you arent going to see any difference from bolt on mods... just upgrade your suspension and call it a day.
You can't be serious... how many dyno graphs do you want thrown in your face???
Old 10-22-2006, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc2nut4
Ok, show me one where the difference is so significant that you cannot contribute the difference to air temp, humidity, load, and 10000 other factors that obviously changed.

Bolt on mods arent worth anything on the tC... they are just fun to do and have.... has anyone even broken 170 with bolt ons? I doubt it... and if they have, they probably spent more than a turbo kit would have cost them...

Face it, there isnt much exhaust coming out anyway, the stock intake design is great...
Old 10-22-2006, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I agree w tc2. The Throttle Body is made by Alphawerks. There are no cams for N/A guys yet, and the Port&Polish head is made by any machine shop, but we were talking about ZPI's one, found here: http://www.zeropointindustries.net/s...products_id=29
Old 10-22-2006, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by tc2nut4
Ok, show me one where the difference is so significant that you cannot contribute the difference to air temp, humidity, load, and 10000 other factors that obviously changed.

Bolt on mods arent worth anything on the tC... they are just fun to do and have.... has anyone even broken 170 with bolt ons? I doubt it... and if they have, they probably spent more than a turbo kit would have cost them...

Face it, there isnt much exhaust coming out anyway, the stock intake design is great...
Here is your link for proof. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=113178
Old 10-22-2006, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should easily be able to get the tc to 165-170 at the wheels. getting 15-20 hp should not be that hard. full exhaust including the header, intake and pulleys should do that.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

when people say bolt ons, i think turbos. but looks like everyone here is talking basic IHE mods, which honestly even if it adds 15whp, will be what, .4 off their 1/4? it's fun to do, but honestly, it won't make your car much faster.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the money you're going to be about 800 dollars in the whole which, compared to other things automotive, isn't all that much but consider, to make more than 20-30 hp after that, you're going to have to spend exponentially more.

If you plan to go turbo, intake and header become useless so that's a waste of about 300-400 dollars. If you wanna keep everything, the only way to go is in. Next step is pistons rods heads and all that.

I'm with mike; the tC isn't going to be easy for making significant power on a low budget so just pop on some suspension components and call it a day. In a proverbial week, slap on a turbo or go to town with NA tuning.

You guys gotta remember that the tC's engine has an FE head. On an RSX you could see much larger gains from any one bolton because the engine can make use of all the extra volume. On the tC, when you free up one restriction, you have a bunch of other restrictions to deal with.

And, adg016, the 2AZ-FE is internally balanced by two (I think) balance shafts so yea, this modern engine is internally balanced. But balancers don't do a damn thing to dampen torsional vibrations. If there's nothing dampening torsional vibrations, you just need to spin at the wrong rpm for enough time and everything could go to hell. The biggest fear most of us (in the camp of "DON'T GET AN UNDAMPENED CRANK PULLEY") have is for the oil and timing chain. Chains don't take kindly to shock loads and an undampened pulley will cause the crank to apply shock loads.

It hasn't happened yet but all the physics are there. You gotta ask yourself why Toyota would spend more money to make a heavier crank pulley.

For credible info, check here or here.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brian
when people say bolt ons, i think turbos. but looks like everyone here is talking basic IHE mods, which honestly even if it adds 15whp, will be what, .4 off their 1/4? it's fun to do, but honestly, it won't make your car much faster.
nah, turbos arent considered bolt ons in the scion community, lol...

and i dont see why people think that a ported head is a bolt on...

gah... so mixed up!
Old 10-22-2006, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pulleys should do that.
You gain zero horsepower from pullies. Absolutely zero

The only bolt-ons that exist for the scion are intakes and exhaust modifications. You cannot gain any significant power with just those unless you're factory turbocharged or running a V8.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Uh, 20 whp is insignificant?

Oh, and as far as harmonic balancers go...racing experience rules. Haven't seen an SR grenade because of a lack of one, and they've been flogged over and over again on the track. Theoretical physics has no place when years of experience are concerned.

But if there's something so special about this 2.4-liter that will make it blow up, I'd love to hear it.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea sure, it's a fuel economy engineered engine. The SR20 is a sports engine. That right there ought to tell you a lot.

A ZPI stage 0 boosts 6 psi with no engine management. That setup seems to be working for a lot of people. Would you boost 6 psi on an early model Saturn with no engine management? You can't compare two engines like that. They're not analagous.

Physics is physics. The physics behind torsional dampeners is NOT purely theoretical and in fact, has been proven by Dinan and ATI.

But whatever, it hasn't happened yet so do whatever you like to your engine. I promise I'll shut up about undampened pulleys so long as you promise to click

THIS

one link and read it. After that, do whatever. I don't gain by your act of not buying a pulley. And after all, since there have been no reported incidents just yet, it seems to be difficult to find that "sweet" spot that'll tear everything to shreds.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heh yea, for the money involved, 20 peak horsepower is insignificant. Sorry.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by adg016

Oh, and as far as harmonic balancers go...racing experience rules. Haven't seen an SR grenade because of a lack of one, and they've been flogged over and over again on the track. Theoretical physics has no place when years of experience are concerned.

But if there's something so special about this 2.4-liter that will make it blow up, I'd love to hear it.
Nitrous?
Old 10-22-2006, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The SR20 is rated at 30 mpg hwy, but anyhow...experience is everything. There was a long debate in the SR community about this "theoritical" revelation. Bottom line is that no motors have blown themselves apart after repeated flogging. If there's nothing to be gained by the pulley, then I agree, not worth even touching...but for the weight reduction alone it might be worth considering.

As far as F/I and NOS goes, there are reasons one might want to go on a certain mod path that have nothing to do with money.