Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Rattle coming from engine area passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:14 PM

Default Rattle coming from engine area passenger side

So I just recently changed my oil like 100 miles ago after it the car ran fine no noise now all of a sudden I have a rattle coming from the passenger side of the engine area. I cannot pin point where the sound is coming from. I checked my heat shield around the exhaust and its not hitting that. I can not tell if it gets louder or faster when I bring the rpms up because of my exhaust (awesome right?) but at idle you can really hear it. It sounds like something bouncing off of sheet metal. I used the same royal purple 5w-20 4 quarters I always use and the same wix filter and I have gotten gas since its happened. Is it safe to be driving? I have no check engine light on and no lag in performance. Anyone have ideas as to what this could be? I am going to the shop on Tuesday to have it looked at he thinks the oil pump.

2009 tC 5 speed
Thanks
Old 12-29-2011, 08:42 AM

I think we might be having the same issue. Im also having this rattle on my passengers side, but its been going on for a while now and it seems to happen on and off. For me it usually happens when I begin to let off the clutch, and when I tried to pinpoint it i couldn't find it. I also had a friend of mine who is a mechanic at a VW dealership take a look at it and they couldnt find it either. Mods I thought that might be causing the problem were the pulleys I put in, but he confirmed that they were not the issue. If anyone has anymore info on this issue Id also be happy to know.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been having this problem for the past few months now. My car is at about 95,000 miles and I am changing out my water pump and serpentine belt this weekend. I read on some threads on here as well as clubsciontc.com that the waterpump has been an issue on a lot of tC's including most other vehicles in the Toyota fleet that use the 2AZ series motor. I am under the impression that its my water pump since my situation is similar to many of the symptoms described in the threads I have mentioned. Once I have the belt off I'll check all the pulleys for any excessive noise. Who knows, it could possibly be the belt tensioner itself.

Check to see if you're losing any coolant and pop the hood while the engine's running to see if you can narrow down wether or not the excessive noise is coming from one of the pulleys.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i honestly doubt its the oil pump. i have never seen one go. water pumps on the other hand is a strong possibility or maybe the timing chain tensioner. its very difficult to try and point u in the right direction wo physically seeing the vehicle. best bet is to take it to a reputable shop.