Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Rattle in Drivetrain Area

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:11 PM
SL Member

Default Rattle in Drivetrain Area

So, to start out I just rebuilt my engine as well as getting a new clutch and lightweight flywheel. After putting everything together it started up with no problems. Drove for about 150 miles without a problem. Now when I'm driving I hear a really faint rattle. If I'm going over 55 and then let off the gas it gets fairly intense. As soon as I have the clutch engaged the sound goes away. So I think it's something to do with the throwout bearing that I replaced possibly. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Which clutch and which flywheel? I've had similar noises coming from under the hood as well since around 75k miles (just broke 90k yesterday). Using an Exedy Stage 1 clutch and Fidanza LW Flywheel. There are (2) different noises I hear:
(1) a rattling or knocking sound when idling. I've heard that it may be the clutch fork hitting against the throw-out bearing. Noise goes away when the clutch is depressed.

(2) a rubbing sound kinda like rubbing sandpaper. This only happens when I let off the clutch (cruise) above about 40 mph and in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear. Have heard from both Fidanza and Exedy that this is normal (?)

Will be installing a new clutch Friday as well as replacing the wear pad on the flywheel. Hopefully those noises will go away.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:14 PM
SL Member

I installed a Competition Stage 2 clutch and an F1 Racing Flywheel. I don't see how a clutch or flywheel would cause the rattle though since it's really only present around 55mph.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it an older version of Competition Clutch or did you buy new recently (like within the last month or two)? If it's an older design, these clutches have had lots of quality problems. You may want to have it checked out in case a spring broke loose or something.

I recently bought a stage 4 from Competition, but it's the newly redesigned one. They claimed to have worked out a lot of the previous design flaws. Fingers crossed!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 PM
SL Member

Just bought it last month. I hope that it isn't the clutch itself.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Contact CC and ask them about it. Could be nothing.
You can try to go back to where you got it installed (unless you did it yourself) and see if they'd be willing to check it for free or reduced cost.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:37 PM
SL Member

Hmm...I did the install myself. :/ Torqued everything to spec. I'd be pretty upset if it's broken already. Only put 400 miles on it so far. I guess I'll have to do that. I'm wondering if it's a bad throwout bearing?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did some research on this a few years ago and its seems like some lightweight flywheels do make that chatter noise. Nothing you can do about it. I've had my CC stage 4 clutch and 12lbs flywheel installed by toyota dealership and it has been doing that noise for almost 60k miles. So used to it that doesn't even bother me anymore.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:16 PM
SL Member

I've heard that some of them chatter as well. As long as it isn't going to ruin my clutch, flywheel, bearing, etc. I can probably learn to deal with it. Ha.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats the thing. You never know with Competition Clutch lol its 50/50 chance.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 PM
SL Member

I love that when looking for reviews on the comp clutch I couldn't find anything bad, but after I install it a few people are saying they go bad easily. Ha.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 PM
SL Member

What would I hear if the clutch has a broken spring? Or would it just not be driveable? Thanks for all the input.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Prolly the sound of your trans screaming in pain and you swerving outta control. Not tryin to be negative or xtreme, but you'd know right away and would probably cause a much bigger, noticeable problem when it happens.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:21 PM
SL Member

Alright. Kind of what I figured. Ha. Thanks guys.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by R3define
I love that when looking for reviews on the comp clutch I couldn't find anything bad, but after I install it a few people are saying they go bad easily. Ha.
The same thing happened to me. After I put mine in a few guys on here had a problem with springs popping out after 2K miles. If you don't track your car a lot you'll be ok. Like I said I've had mine for close to 60K now, however 70% of it are highway miles.
What would I hear if the clutch has a broken spring? Or would it just not be driveable? Thanks for all the input.
Definately won't be drivable. It'll be stuck in one gear.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

depends on where the spring ends up i broke one and it got lodged in the pressure plate, it caused me to not be able to use the clutch to engage or disengage so the clutch was always engaged for my drive home, if it stay loose itll rattle all around tearing things up the longer it goes

Originally Posted by That_Kid_Ju
Prolly the sound of your trans screaming in pain and you swerving outta control. Not tryin to be negative or xtreme, but you'd know right away and would probably cause a much bigger, noticeable problem when it happens.
the trans wouldnt be screaming the bellhousing and what ever the spring is hitting is what would rattle, and no this will not cause you to loose control...
Old 10-10-2012, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the trans wouldnt be screaming the bellhousing and what ever the spring is hitting is what would rattle, and no this will not cause you to loose control...
Was just exaggerating. Point is that it wouldn't be good and you wouldn't want to get caught on the road in that condition.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

competition clutches are junk all around i would steer clear of them at any cost.
as for light weight flywheels chattering thats pretty common and nothing you can do about it