Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Scion tC 5-speed having issues with going into gear and making whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:18 AM

Default Scion tC 5-speed having issues with going into gear and making whining noise

I have a 2007 scion tC and today it was running fine until all of a sudden i could no longer shift into gear. i was able to get it home by slipping into gear at the correct rpm. once i got into my garage, i tested to see if i could figure out to see what was up and had no luck. these are the symptoms.
  1. Clutch pedal feels normal and when i am able to get into gear, when i release it, it engages.
  2. There are no weird noises when the clutch is depressed and the car is in neutral.
  3. when i put the car into gear and the clutch is depressed, it makes a whirring and whining noise.
  4. i cannot shift using the clutch.
any ideas what is happening? im assuming that it is a bearing, but i have no idea, and want to have some sort of guess of what i am looking to pay for a mechanic.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:21 AM

also the whining noise varies with the rpm. (it gets faster as the rpm goes up)
Old 10-22-2015, 02:09 PM

This just happened to me as well. You likely need to change out your gear oil if you're having shifting issues.

There are a few DIY's floating around the net on how to do this. Both of them say you need 2.5 quarts of gear oil. However, I just did this last week and 2.5 quarts was not enough. I test drove the car and it was grinding gears going into 3rd. I ended up using all 3 quarts of gear oil and my shifting is very smooth. The whining noise has subsided.