Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD exhaust. worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default TRD exhaust. worth the money?

i was wondering if the TRD exhaust is worth how much it cost. i found a place that sells it for 342. is that worth the price? anyone got any sound clip of the exhaust? what hp/tq gains does it have? any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whether or not the TRD exhaust is worth the money depends on what you're expecting out of it. It doesn't provide more than a couple extra horsepower. However, it sounds great - pretty deep tone and noticeable growl without waking up the neighborhood at night. It looks good, especially with the OEM ground effects. If you're looking for some high-end gains, a catback exhaust would be your best bet. Axlebacks, like TRD's, are mainly for sound or looks.But those who have it seem to love it - I know I do!
Old 12-11-2005, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ordered mine from scionpartspeople.com for 370 shipped. It is supposed to be here tomorrow. Here is someone else's clip of the exhaust. Im going to install it myself over christmas.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ght=trd+exaust
Old 12-11-2005, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Is it worth it in terms of performance? No, because it does nothing noticable.
Is it worth it in terms of sound / appearance? Heck yes. It sounds absolutely beautiful. Don't pay for an install either, it's a piece of cake job.

$342 is the best price I could find. I got mine for $370 shipped from scionpartspeople.com. (I assume this is where you're looking at it)

This is a nice representation of the true sound. Not my video, but it is the video that convinced me to buy it.

http://s54.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...Z1N5KEV4AAA78X
Old 12-11-2005, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It makes about 2-3 HP, sounds good. The other catbacks out there only make about 5hp MAX so I doubt you'll notice any difference. But the TRD does make power, and not just a noisemaker.

Dyno of STOCK tC with TRD EXHAUST.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default don't do it!

if you're planning on getting other MODS in the future, the TRD exhaust sucks! It will rasp and sound horrible... heck, right now, don't even get it, get the HKS Hi-Power exhaust. That exhaust is the best, it has a deep sound and is loud (not too loud though). It's a good investment if you get the HKS, cuz even after you add headers and s-pipe, it'll still have a deep sound!
Old 12-12-2005, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or you can stay legal and get a header and custom mid pipe with a high flow cat and resonator. The TRD sounds fine then. 400amonth has that setup I believe.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it doesn't matter about legal matters... no police officer will pull you over as long as you aren't driving like a racer... I've road close to and passed cops before in my car and they never do anything because it doesn't sound loud. It only sounds loud if I pull it to the high RPMs... I'd say you should just go with the HKS exhaust and not make the same mistake I did... buying the TRD exhaust and having to spend hundreds more just for it to sound decent isn't worth it... just remember, if you're gonna race, either make sure no cops are around or do it at a track... it's all up to you though, if you feel that the HKS exhaust will be too much then go ahead and get the TRD exhaust... heck, you want to buy it from me? $280 and you can pick it up...
Old 12-12-2005, 03:18 AM

Not sure if you guys want to pay that much money for an axle back thats barely going to do anything, but right now Precisionmuffler.com is doing a specila on our axle backs that has a quiet sound and has the same HP gain and is cheaper. Check us out here at www.PrecisionMuffler.com and in the sponsored sales section. :D

Old 12-12-2005, 07:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I LOVE MY TRD EXHAUST, it came on the car used when i bought it.....but it sound soooooOOo nice.....it almost has a suby growl to it at low rpms
Old 12-12-2005, 09:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chuynh207
it doesn't matter about legal matters... no police officer will pull you over as long as you aren't driving like a racer... I've road close to and passed cops before in my car and they never do anything because it doesn't sound loud. It only sounds loud if I pull it to the high RPMs... I'd say you should just go with the HKS exhaust and not make the same mistake I did... buying the TRD exhaust and having to spend hundreds more just for it to sound decent isn't worth it... just remember, if you're gonna race, either make sure no cops are around or do it at a track... it's all up to you though, if you feel that the HKS exhaust will be too much then go ahead and get the TRD exhaust... heck, you want to buy it from me? $280 and you can pick it up...
I understand what your saying, but you missed my point. In PA we have to get emission testing every year. No CAT no PASS, Im sure other states do this too... At least in my area its a no go. Im not putting it on and having to remove it later just to get inspected. Especially when it only costs $95 to get highflow cat, resonator, and midpipe welded/installed.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well i was just wondering if it was smog legal to use because i didnt want to take it off and put back the stock one when i needed a smog check and i know that the TRD will pass smog. i was just wondering if the precision or the HKS would also pass smog.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes the TRD will pass. Having a header with not CAT in it, is not gonna flow to well with the state.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ahh do you know if the other ones will pass? and what does the spipe and that stuff do? cause i hear alot of people doing it.. sory U__U kinda new to this stuff
Old 12-12-2005, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand what your saying, but you missed my point. In PA we have to get emission testing every year. No CAT no PASS, Im sure other states do this too... At least in my area its a no go. Im not putting it on and having to remove it later just to get inspected. Especially when it only costs $95 to get highflow cat, resonator, and midpipe welded/installed.[/quote]

wow, every year? that must suck. For new cars in Cali it's five years the first time and then every two years. I know people in the business so they'll pass me no matter what. I still think bolting on and then bolting off isn't that bad of an idea, plus the HKS has no restriction to it, it gives you maximum gains as to how much your ECU will let you have.