Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD intake and TRD High Performance Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Default TRD intake and TRD High Performance Air Filter

Can these both be installed or it can only be one and not the other?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One or the other. The TRD air filter would be a drop in filter (Like a K&N) for the OEM airbox.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One or another. The high flow filter goes in the OEM intake, where the intake is a full replacement.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Damn so both can't be used at the same time??
Old 04-23-2009, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Got it, I'll just get the filer then. A much cheaper alternative.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the TRD intake is a complete cold air intake (which has a "performance" type filter on it) and replaces the OEM airbox entirely. So there's no possible way you would be able to use both. Completely different types of systems.

The TRD intake would be the better of the two for sure... and honestly, I'd say don't even bother with the TRD filter though - you're not going to notice any performance gain from it. There might be one... but it would be minuscule and not noticeable.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go with injen. a lot of people run it on here.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:55 AM
SL Member

no experience at all with the trd but i've got an injen and i tell you its a really awesome product. noticeable gains, amazing sound and the fact that you can use it as a short ram is very convenient especially if you live in colorado where there are huuuge puddles from melted snow just waiting to hydrolock the car. but really its up to you. i nabbed my intake for 200 and i haven't really seen the trd for much cheaper
Old 04-23-2009, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Please don't buy the TRD air filter. It's the most useless thing you can buy for your car. It's hard to clean. Then it's almost impossible to tell if you've oiled enough, or not enough, or too much. Also if you hold it up to the light you can see some pretty sizable holes (for a filter) in the filter media. Just save your money and buy a true cold air intake, or just change the oem filter frequently to maintain performance.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

If I even two take the intake route, I'm sticking with trd. I ain't about to void the warranty.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Originally Posted by SFTifoso
Please don't buy the TRD air filter. It's the most useless thing you can buy for your car. It's hard to clean. Then it's almost impossible to tell if you've oiled enough, or not enough, or too much. Also if you hold it up to the light you can see some pretty sizable holes (for a filter) in the filter media. Just save your money and buy a true cold air intake, or just change the oem filter frequently to maintain performance.
how exactly did you clean yours? lol

use oxi-clean, carbonated water, in a bucket, swirl around, rinse with very low pressure water(if you use any amount of pressure, you will make holes in the filter media) and let airdry, the filter will be white, you are done oiling when its evenly red!

sorry to be off-topic, but that is the most effective way of cleaning oiled filters!

to the OP, i say go Injen if you want a little performance, but the TRD is definitely the best looking CAI in my opinion!
Old 04-24-2009, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just because you get the TRD doesn't mean it won't void your warranty, if you install it yourself and it causes a problem they can void your warranty. That is why you should consider going with an injen or another one that is cheaper because they will have to prove it caused the problem. Unless you are getting the dealer to install it.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

I know peeps at the dealer. 'Nuff said. And for those who replied, thanks again for your time.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chicotunner07
Originally Posted by SFTifoso
how exactly did you clean yours? lol

use oxi-clean, carbonated water, in a bucket, swirl around, rinse with very low pressure water(if you use any amount of pressure, you will make holes in the filter media) and let airdry, the filter will be white, you are done oiling when its evenly red!

sorry to be off-topic, but that is the most effective way of cleaning oiled filters!

to the OP, i say go Injen if you want a little performance, but the TRD is definitely the best looking CAI in my opinion!
I never thought about cleaning it in a bucket. I just followed the instructions on the cleaning kit. I sprayed the solution on the filter, let it sit for a few minutes, then rinsed it out with low pressure water. Still though, I'm sticking with dry filters from now on. There really isn't much difference among oem and performance filters as far as airflow goes.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the TRD CAI and its been great so far. I havent cleaned it once but i'm sure its long overdue for a replacement. Anyways I was looking around and have been seeing people talking about replacing the filter off the TRD CAI and putting a "AEM Dry Flow Air Filters". IF I were to get the same size filter as the TRD CAI filter, would it be better ?
Old 10-23-2009, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tico4csun
If I even two take the intake route, I'm sticking with trd. I ain't about to void the warranty.
installing an intake wont void anything except if something goes wrong with your intake. even if it causes hydrolock, your trd intake wont be covered by warranty even if it is installed by the dealer. theres really nothing else than can possibly go wrong
Old 10-23-2009, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

install it yourself its cheaper