Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Blown Supercharger Numero Deux!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:46 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Default Blown Supercharger Numero Deux!

Ok, back in October of last year I had my S/C replaced through TRD's warranty for a faulty shaft, and once again trouble has arisen and I took my tC to Toyota out here in West Kendall, Miami.

The tech there has told me that I blew the S/C but did not specify what part in itself is wrong.

It is really hard for me to explain the sound that it makes but hopefully someone who has dealt with an issue like this can chip in.

When you partially give some gas you get the NORMAL* Whine from the S/C, but in my case I get the whine, BUT ON TOP OF THE WHINE you hear like a moaning, like a machine going in slow motion, in a sense theres a secondary whine which seems like it is struggling to spin.

I am boosting perfectly fine (5psi on the 110 valve) and according to my gauges my AFR's are fine and so is my oil pressure.

Any insight as to what might be wrong and more importantly, are there any safety issues with running my car like this? (The tech told me that running a blown s/c should have no effect on my motor)

Thanks for the input
Old 07-29-2009, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

5psi? That seems kinda low for even the stock pulley.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:23 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

i've never seen it go above 5 since I stopped using the 9.5 pulley on my 1st s/c.

Suggestions Kik?
Old 07-29-2009, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

running on a damaged supercharger is waiting for something really bad to happen. i've seen some chargers fail and thats all it needed...a new supercharger. in worse case, the charger blows and takes the motor with it due to broken parts making its way into the engine. sounds like something you should get a second opinion on...better safe than sorry!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:56 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

well i'll be honest with you, I think the blower itself is fine because it's not leaking oil nor am I having trouble boosting, i believe it's either a seal or bearing but I wanted people's opinions to see what I should look out for when examining the engine bay.

If it's a bearing or soemthing of the sort I could buy Kik's rebuild kit. Then again I want to examine the problem correctly so Im not out there just wasting money for the hell of it
Old 07-29-2009, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you hear a clicking noise, when you stop...Thats the problem with my s/c its getting fixed on Thursday or Friday....
Old 07-29-2009, 05:16 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

no bro, at idle it's perfectly fine, it's just that weird noise once i give it some gas
Old 07-29-2009, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let me get this straight - the TECH told you that running a blown supercharger should have no effect on your motor and sent you on your merry way? If this is what happened, I concur with the aforementioned and STRONGLY recommend you go to a different dealer and get a second opinion. That guy has probably never even seen a supercharger on a tc. I can't believe that's really what he told you! If something is broken or out of place in there, it may not affect you now, but shortly something else will break due to the first issue, and then you'll have a snowball effect, which will have a good chance of taking your motor down with it. Find another dealer man, especially if it's still under warranty.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I have seen on a persons supercharger the race that holds the ***** together in the bearing explode into alot of little pieces and get sucked through the engine. If he didnt get the blower to me in time I have no doubt that the ***** would have started hopping out. Just some food for thought.....
Old 07-30-2009, 03:40 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if its making a strange sound when u are boosting then ur having compressor contact....get a new one
Old 07-30-2009, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its hard to tell by you describing a "noise" take the shaft off and take a look at the bearings, if lots of metal dust comes out thats no good. If the bearings go they will most likely take the shaft with them, unless you catch it soon, i'm talking within a week.

When my bearings died i was still able to make 6psi of boost.

japanman took some pics of his old shaft when he replaced it, just want you guys to see just how damaged your shaft/bearings can be. This is the worst I have seen so far.

Name:  0709091652.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  25.3 KB

Name:  0709091653-1.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  30.1 KB

Name:  0709091653a-1.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  43.7 KB
Old 07-30-2009, 05:31 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

hmm im going to try to get a video up tomorrow of the noise that this thing is making, hopefully it'll help shine some light or help people diagnose the issue
Old 07-30-2009, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

^^ yes a video!! do that..

and also take it to another dealer.. they are all different!
Old 08-03-2009, 06:38 AM
SL Member

You can still be boosting fine with a bad s/c. I still had all my power when my bearings were screaming.

Do you hear "the whine on top of the whine" when it's at idle? Cause my pulley side bearings sounded horrible from idle to go.

If you got it installed at the dealer in the first place then you should have no trouble gettin a new one. I put mine in my self and still got the Vortech redesigned version via warranty when my old one ____ the bed.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SciMeiji
You can still be boosting fine with a bad s/c. I still had all my power when my bearings were screaming.

Do you hear "the whine on top of the whine" when it's at idle? Cause my pulley side bearings sounded horrible from idle to go.

If you got it installed at the dealer in the first place then you should have no trouble gettin a new one. I put mine in my self and still got the Vortech redesigned version via warranty when my old one ____ the bed.
Then you got lucky, either that or the dealers in your area aren't all scumbags like they are here.