Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Ideas for better cooling

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, one more thing that occurred to me is the big thick intercooler could be holding up air flow. it should be a garrett, but then again, it did come from todd at turbotoytas...so i now wonder about it alittle.

another thing i was thinking i should do while addressing this problem is to do the throttle body coolant bypass.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

how much is you summer btw there in your area.. coz i do notice a difference in coolant temp on a 100 & up weather and an 85-90 F ambient temp..
Old 06-30-2010, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ranges from 80's to 90's, haven't had many 100 degree days yet.

if i put the heater on, i can keep my temps tolerable for the engine.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

oh damn thats what our spring weather is.. do you drive in heavy traffics and lots if idling?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ be glad youre not in DFW, last few weeks weve had 100+ and with heavy humidity the last week
Old 06-30-2010, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ we too hit 100ish already.. bottom texas here, hotter average temps than dfw/houston/san antonio.. tx heat ftl, but thankful not to be in arizona hahaha
Old 06-30-2010, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope. luckily i have a very easy commute around town everyday. but on my road rally last sunday, it was 95 degrees and going at low speeds on the windy narrow up and down hill dirt roads, my water temps were high, and i had to turn the heater on full blast to help keep the car cool.

i was debating this one idea in my head. buy a p-tuning manifold and the necessary plumbing to make it fit the rest of my kit, so i can put the stock radiator and shroud back. but that would be a last choice i think.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

i wouldnt go back to stock radiator if i were you but stock fans/shroud maybe.. oh road rally is always gonna create extra heat especially on hot weather and with your ac condenser and intercooler blocking your radiator.. how hot are your water temps again? using scangauge?
Old 06-30-2010, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

using scangauge i saw temps up to 236 degrees.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

wow.. thats like oh H already..
Old 06-30-2010, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
^^ we too hit 100ish already.. bottom texas here, hotter average temps than dfw/houston/san antonio.. tx heat ftl, but thankful not to be in arizona hahaha
i love texas but damn its hot. yesterday it was raining and 95
Old 06-30-2010, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

i love texas winter! we could track all year long as long as there is no rain
Old 07-01-2010, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so after driving the car, let it idle and examined it with the hood open. both fans come on, they both appear to be pulling air in from outside the engine compartment. and if you put your hand infront of the grill, you can feel the heat from the radiator on the passenger side, you feel heat from the radiator, but if you put your hand on the driverside, you feel cool air.

could it have something to do with the location of the water temperature sensor? like the water going in to the radiator is obviously very hot, but it seems to be cool once it circulates through the radiator.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:02 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

u shouldn't be feeling hot air blowing towards the grill. It should be a vacuum.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

slight possibility it could happen due to tight space and creating turbulence but not much.. but seeing that he has overheating on a setup that should be more than enough, that might be something to look at.. on mine outside the grill i dont feel any air coming out, i feel from the inside grill a lot air turbulence in there
Old 07-01-2010, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Sounds like one side might be pulling and the other is pushing. Sounds like the passengers side is pushing out hot air from inside the engine bay. I could be wrong tho. Try holding a piece of paper in front of the grill/radiator and see where it gets pulled to.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The hot water comes in from the top (being cooled properly by pulling) and exits cool at the bottom of the radiator but it sounds like that fan is blowing hot air at it from the engine bay. Switch the wires around for the passenger side fan and you should be golden.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright, so did some observations just now when i got home from work without letting the car cool off.

while sitting idle in the driveway with the hood shut and no a/c or fans on, but the dial set to max heat, the water temp would get up to 202 degrees, fans would come on and temps would go 204 and then down to 198 where the fan would shut off.

intake air temperatures however would continue to clime from about 15 degrees above ambient (76 degrees) to an astounding 147 degrees!

while the fans were on, i went and looked at the front of the car, my driverside grill is cool to the touch, while my passenger side grill is very hot, almost burning so.

so i popped open the grill, grabbed a long blade of grass and held it up to the fans. the driverside fan is pulling cool air from outside the engine compartment into the car, while the passenger side fan is blowing HOT air from the hotside of the turbo and downpipe through the radiator stupidly heating the coolant back up before going back into the engine. the plugs are one way, so i'm not sure how the polarity could be reversed unless we swap the wires.

anyway, then i let it idle with the hood completely open. water temps got down to 170 or so, never going over 180. and then the intake air temps dropped to 119. which is pretty good since the car was heat soaked. so a better vented hood seems like a good idea since the kaminari hood vent is just right over the radiator, and not the manifold and such.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

where is your fan on the passenger side? is in front of the ac condenser? if so that should be a pusher.. if its behind the radiator then that should be a puller (air blows air away from the rad towards the motor), well im sure you know that already but im just saying.. but your polarity could be reversed if your fans came in as pushers and you used it as a puller or vice versa
Old 07-01-2010, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay, no, i have the mishamoto fan shroud. it has 2 fans, it is between the radiator and the engine. one is on the driver's side, the other is on the passenger side. the one on the driver side is pulling air into the engine compartment, while the one on the passengerside is blowing hot air out of the engine compartment through the radiator, which is effectly undoing the cooling the radiator is trying to do.

Quick Reply: Ideas for better cooling