Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

If you had the option.... (Transmissions and Turbos)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default If you had the option.... (Transmissions and Turbos)

To put a turbo kit on a 5spd tC or an auto tC... which would you get?

For the 5spd, you would need to upgrade the clutch (someone let me know how much this costs, with professional installation)?

For the auto, you would need to put in a transmission cooler and still run the risk of blowing out your tranny (how plausible is this at about 8.5psi (dezod auto kit))?

This is a question of transmission reliability, and cheapest cost over the course of 5 years. (i.e., will the auto tranny die in 5 years... and is the cost of an upgraded clutch cheaper than buying an auto-turbo kit (also considering the price difference of the cars)...

Thanks for your input!
Mike

P.S. - How about stalling during shifts because of the rich mixture when the BOV vents to the atmosphere (is this problem taken care of with the dezod kit???
Old 06-25-2006, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I say go with teh 5spd. You can be certain that you will have NO transmission troubles if you upgrade your clutch and flywheel. With the auto at the moment, you really dont know wtf is gonna happen even if you add a transmission cooler. Its not just about keeping it cool, its about whether or not the internals can handle a lot of stress at any given moment. There are transmission upgrades for the auto but its going to cost more than it would to upgrade a clutch and flywheel on a 5spd. For this reason, I am buying a new 5spd tC early next year...
Old 06-25-2006, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought you shouldnt upgrade the flywheel on a turbo tc if you are using it as a daily driver... can someone verify this?
Old 06-25-2006, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have no clue. Ive never built any of my cars very far so I dont know what is recommended there. I mean I really dont think its necessary to upgrade the flywheel if you arent running a lot of power but maybe it would help some to have it anyways.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: If you had the option.... (Transmissions and Turbos)

Originally Posted by mike6789k
To put a turbo kit on a 5spd tC or an auto tC... which would you get?
5 Speed

For the 5spd, you would need to upgrade the clutch (someone let me know how much this costs, with professional installation)?
It costs between 200-400 on the clutch install depending on who you know, and how much they know about the tC. The ACT Street Clutch costs about $399
http://www.dezod.com/pd_act_street.cfm

For the auto, you would need to put in a transmission cooler and still run the risk of blowing out your tranny (how plausible is this at about 8.5psi (dezod auto kit))?
A cooler is definately mandatory and we ship the kit out at 5.7 psi to keep things safe. If you turn up the boost it's your call. We haven't attempted to up the boost yet because we don't know how much wtq the auto tranny can actually handle. We still push for the manual if you have the option because it's proven to hold much more power.

This is a question of transmission reliability, and cheapest cost over the course of 5 years. (i.e., will the auto tranny die in 5 years... and is the cost of an upgraded clutch cheaper than buying an auto-turbo kit (also considering the price difference of the cars)...
The car is cheaper, it's faster, and it's funner. If you're really looking to make some more power, I just feel more comfortable doing it in an automatic. No one knows what will happen in an auto tranny in 5 years even stock yet so it's hard to say what will happen with it being boosted.

P.S. - How about stalling during shifts because of the rich mixture when the BOV vents to the atmosphere (is this problem taken care of with the dezod kit???
I have the TiAL BOV and it doesn't stall between shifts. The idle is a little rough every once in a while so we decided to switch to the HKS BOV and it does seem to be better. With the HKS you have the option of going with the recirc option which would require welding a small 1" piece of pipe to the intake pipe. I don't think it's totally necessary, but the option is there. My car's still running fine with the TiAL. So I know the HKS would be even better.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought you shouldnt upgrade the flywheel on a turbo tc if you are using it as a daily driver... can someone verify this?
I don't recommend it too much, especially if you daily drive it in a lot of high traffic situations. On higher speed setups (road racing or highway0, I guess it'd be a good upgrade.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What does the lightweight flywheel do actually? I live in an area (New Mexico) where there isnt a whole lot of traffic and many many open roads so Id like to know what Id be missing if I didnt get one on a 5spd.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lighter flywheel will let the engine rev easier and faster, since there is less weight to move. However, this will make stalling a bit easier because of the extra weight loss, or so i've heard about the stalling.
________
MAGIC FLIGHT

Last edited by 06CStC; 02-28-2011 at 05:11 PM.