Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Longevity of a built motor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Longevity of a built motor?

OK...let's say a stock tC motor is good for 300,000 miles.
Boosted, you can cut that in half, so we will say 150,000 on a boosted tC.
I am curiouse if building the bottom ned (piston rods and bearings) will add any longevity to the motor?

Obviously the main reason for building the motor is to up boost and increase power, which would further decrease the longevity of the motor, but I'm wondering how long the motor would last if you built it up and kept the same power levels BEFORE building (say 300-350whp) and only pushed the built motor limits for occasional track days?

any thoughts?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Longevity of a built motor?

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
OK...let's say a stock tC motor is good for 300,000 miles.
Boosted, you can cut that in half, so we will say 150,000 on a boosted tC.
I am curiouse if building the bottom ned (piston rods and bearings) will add any longevity to the motor?

Obviously the main reason for building the motor is to up boost and increase power, which would further decrease the longevity of the motor, but I'm wondering how long the motor would last if you built it up and kept the same power levels BEFORE building (say 300-350whp) and only pushed the built motor limits for occasional track days?

any thoughts?
if you do the work-8 miles
pro-150000 miles
me-990009909.2 miles (yes .2)

seriously
if you build your motor phil you better turn up the boost to like 20 psi! haha
then watch those axles fly
I am curiouse if building the bottom ned
ned doesnt want his bottom messed with
Old 11-06-2007, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all day and the only reply I get is from you
And how the hell would you know WHAT ned wants on his bottom or not?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all day and the only reply I get is from you
And how the hell would you know WHAT ned wants on his bottom or not?
ya i was kinda giggling when i saw that you had no replys.
but hey you do have a thread over 50 pages thats super off topic right?

and ned told me personally.
seriously though, if you start to build that thing, turn the boost up so that you can keep up with me
Old 11-06-2007, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, I will. But I won't keep it there all the time.
And I'm still waiting for you tune, cause as of right now, I can keep up with you when I'm going in reverse!
Old 11-06-2007, 05:06 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HAHA you guys are retarded.

this was kinda like my street tune thread tho huh? out of nowhere people started helping. lol

if i figure out how to tune........good. then ill be hte tuned one of the bunch bwahha
Old 11-06-2007, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what are you talking about? I'm tuned...for the most part.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok well i'll attempt to answer this question as much as my abilities allow, lol. Here goes nothing......................................

Toyota engines last as long as they do, mainly becuase of the fact that Toyota over builds their engines big time. Take a look at what this motor is capable of handling and you will already see that its true. Being able to boost up to 10 psi and yield 300+ whp somewhat safely.... well thats a beefy engine in my book.

To determine the longevity of a motor is damn near impossible with all the variables that go into it. You would nearly have to account for all of the driving conditions, and drivers errors, also maintance, and the degree of how much the driver or owner cares about their car to truly determine how long it will last. Saying the motor will last 300,000 miles is a good sum, it can easily crank out more imo but like I said, depends on the variables.

If Toyota built our motor, knowing that it will be 160 hp (140whp), than the motor should and was built to handle 350-400 hp either at the crank or at the wheel ( now i am not an engineer for toyota so please dont quote me on those numbers lol). That way no matter what kind of variables are thrown at it, the risk behind them is greatly lowered. ( The stock motor is strong enough to even go 30,000+ miles without ever changing the oil... there was a thread on that somewhere here on scionlife.) lol.

If you were to build up the bottom and not boost the motor, odds are the motor could easily last for 500,000 miles. But your question pertains to boost and its applications.

See when boosted it takes a hit on your stock engine, so much that most people experience problems within the first year or year and a half. So mileage cannot be determined. If you build the motor up to handle 600 whp, and you boost only at 300-350 whp then rest assured that your engine will last you a good while, but if your built for 600whp and you have 600 whp then your risk is very high and one small slip up and your engine goes bye-bye.

For most people longevity is measured not in miles but in years, from what i have noticed in this country. So put that into the equation somewhere in there also .

Overall Im not sure if I answered your original question, but i am sure that someone on here can correct me if i said something incorrectly, or add emphasis to what i already wrote. I hope you recieve your answer sir. Best of wishes and have a great day .
Old 11-06-2007, 05:36 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i rest my case.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by polishstud
ok well i'll attempt to answer this question as much as my abilities allow, lol. Here goes nothing......................................

Toyota engines last as long as they do, mainly becuase of the fact that Toyota over builds their engines big time. Take a look at what this motor is capable of handling and you will already see that its true. Being able to boost up to 10 psi and yield 300+ whp somewhat safely.... well thats a beefy engine in my book.

To determine the longevity of a motor is damn near impossible with all the variables that go into it. You would nearly have to account for all of the driving conditions, and drivers errors, also maintance, and the degree of how much the driver or owner cares about their car to truly determine how long it will last. Saying the motor will last 300,000 miles is a good sum, it can easily crank out more imo but like I said, depends on the variables.

If Toyota built our motor, knowing that it will be 160 hp (140whp), than the motor should and was built to handle 350-400 hp either at the crank or at the wheel ( now i am not an engineer for toyota so please dont quote me on those numbers lol). That way no matter what kind of variables are thrown at it, the risk behind them is greatly lowered. ( The stock motor is strong enough to even go 30,000+ miles without ever changing the oil... there was a thread on that somewhere here on scionlife.) lol.

If you were to build up the bottom and not boost the motor, odds are the motor could easily last for 500,000 miles. But your question pertains to boost and its applications.

See when boosted it takes a hit on your stock engine, so much that most people experience problems within the first year or year and a half. So mileage cannot be determined. If you build the motor up to handle 600 whp, and you boost only at 300-350 whp then rest assured that your engine will last you a good while, but if your built for 600whp and you have 600 whp then your risk is very high and one small slip up and your engine goes bye-bye.

For most people longevity is measured not in miles but in years, from what i have noticed in this country. So put that into the equation somewhere in there also .

Overall Im not sure if I answered your original question, but i am sure that someone on here can correct me if i said something incorrectly, or add emphasis to what i already wrote. I hope you recieve your answer sir. Best of wishes and have a great day .
exactly what he said
Old 11-06-2007, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds good to me! Thanks!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I completely disagree with most of what's said here. Seems to happen to me alot......

Anyways, the whole power kills engines thing is just wrong. Bad tuning kills motors. Detonation, over revving, overheating, etc is what will kill your motor. When you start to create more power, you also introduce a much higher chance of detonation. The reason for building your motor is to withstand small amounts of detonation, overrevving etc. so your engine will last longer.

Built motors that fail, usually do so because of really bad detonation or improper assembly / tolerances.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sounds good to.
All I wanna know is if I build my motor, will my car last longer whether I up the boost on the daily or not.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

well i think it should last longer, but dont know how much. And it also depends how much you can build the engine, stock parts of the engine will go first
Old 11-07-2007, 05:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

tcengel Posted: 11/6/07 1:15PM Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I completely disagree with most of what's said here. Seems to happen to me alot......

Anyways, the whole power kills engines thing is just wrong. Bad tuning kills motors. Detonation, over revving, overheating, etc is what will kill your motor. When you start to create more power, you also introduce a much higher chance of detonation. The reason for building your motor is to withstand small amounts of detonation, overrevving etc. so your engine will last longer.

Built motors that fail, usually do so because of really bad detonation or improper assembly / tolerances.
tcengel basically you have just said is the reason behind building your motor is to minimize risk....... with greater power comes greater risk that something can go wrong.....

Mr_Meaty Posted: 11/6/07 2:23PM Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that sounds good to.
All I wanna know is if I build my motor, will my car last longer whether I up the boost on the daily or not.
short answer yes............. it will last longer than a stock engine. If you plan to up to boost under 20 psi, and keep it that high for short periods of time, your engine should last you a good year without major problems, possibly longer. . Hope that helps alittle.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Um...your saying WITH a built motor my engine should last 1 year?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What were saying is a built motor means nothing without a very good tune. Spend your money on an AEM or Hydra and learn to tune it well. Then, build the motor and turn up the boost with confidence.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 11-13-2007, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With proper engine management I have no doubt the stock motor can handle 400 HP every day reliably for just as long as the stock motor or probably 400-500,000 miles kowing Toyota. As for a built motor as long as it is built well (and this being harder to do than you think) I'd say it will last just as long or longer than stock provided you have proper engine management and is tuned properly. By assembling well I mean bearings measured 4 times at different axis's with a proper micromometer to ensure proper clearancing. Rings set up properly for intended application. Piston to wall clearances to what the piston manufacturer recommends and of course proper assembly using top quality torque and angle measurement tools (I prefer Snap On). This and of course all done in a temperature consistent and squeeky clean environment to ensure perfection.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so, it seems like the consensus is that a good tune is more importiant then a built motor for our cars?
Sounds good to me!