Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Looking to purchase a Turbo Kit NewBie Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 04:35 AM

Default Looking to purchase a Turbo Kit NewBie Needs Help

Alright, so to start off. I apologize if I posted in the wrong section but this is my first time on ScionLife.com, second my knowledge on turbo kits is fairly close to zero. So here, I am looking to buy a turbo kit and so far after doing some research Dezod seems like it is the best for me, since it is all bolt on comes with instructions and seems like something that I could handle to do on my own. Here is the turbo kit that I am thinking of buying http://www.dezod.com/pd-dezod-s1-scion.cfm so ya give me ideas of what I should be looking into what do I need to replace on the engine etc. I will post pictures of my scion soon too had some stuff done to it on the outside.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its all in the tune
Old 08-25-2010, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

1. do a good job on install
2. use quality parts
3. find a good tuner

you get those 3 down you got it made pretty much
Old 08-25-2010, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
1. do a good job on install
2. use quality parts
3. find a good tuner

you get those 3 down you got it made pretty much

agreed; tuning is the largest part! it may cost a pretty penny depending on shops in the area, but its worth it! and if you have any other questiosn or what more info, feel free to ask or check the f/i (forced induction) section as it has almost every answer or question out there for turbo'ing a tc.

is your car standard or automatic? if automatic make sure you get a tranny cooler
Old 08-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure what year your model is, but here's a link to our site and the two Turbo's we carry. Descendant and Dezod are both listed. We offer the complete bolt on and go kits as well as the type you will have to tune. All the info is there for you, but please let us know if you have any questions.
http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=3274

Ken
Old 08-25-2010, 04:26 PM

Well I have a Scion TC 2008 Automatic and about the tranny cooler I spoke to a person on the phone how much does that thing run and what are the safe numbers of boosting like how many PSI and how much HP if i were to push the pedal to the metal at what point would something bad happen? Also the tuning part, what exactly is it? Is it just a mechanic going through your engine and checking all the ____ or something more?
Old 08-25-2010, 04:31 PM

@Sparks Scion TRD Parts quick question how come your turbo kit from Dezod is cheaper than the exact same turbo kit that is listed on the actual Dezod.com site?
Old 08-25-2010, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slick1912
Well I have a Scion TC 2008 Automatic and about the tranny cooler I spoke to a person on the phone how much does that thing run and what are the safe numbers of boosting like how many PSI and how much HP if i were to push the pedal to the metal at what point would something bad happen? Also the tuning part, what exactly is it? Is it just a mechanic going through your engine and checking all the ____ or something more?

hmm........ lol... i think u should do a LOT more research before you consider buying a turbo because you won't even know if something is wrong with your turbo...

but to answer your questions

8 PSI is the safe zone for a tC

You won't know how much power it makes because that really depends on the tuner.

For your tuning question, a turbo pretty much forces air into your engine. In order for your car to run, it has to use fuel. and what makes fuel burn is air and fuel combusting in your engine. The amount of fuel is controlled by your computer depending on how you drive your car.

But what if, all of a sudden, a large amount of air comes in to the engine but not enough fuel? (This is where the tuning part comes in)

The tuner pretty much controls the piggyback (AEM FIC/ AEM/ Greddy Blue/ Greddy Ultimate/ Etc.) and tells it to spit more gas out to compensate for the amount of air going in. I wouldn't bring it to like your local handy man shop either, bring it to a shop with a good rep because if it is tuned incorrectly, it has the potential of blowing up your car

My word of advice for you is, if you can't install your own turbo, I would wait and learn how to work on it first because all you will be getting is headaches after headaches if something goes wrong and all you do is keep bringing it back to the shop.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

tranny coolers run about 50-100 depending on where you get it namebrand and what not. i know a lot of the gearheads in my area say they've gotten theirs from summit racing. im not sure if dezod or trdsparks carries them or not, but usually aren't too much and pretty much NEEDED for auto's because tranny's on auto's are no good above like 230hp and start slipping i beleive 230-250 from what i've read. and like dk said 8's about max. i think tina has hers at like 5, i think i'm going to be in the 6-7 when i boost my a/t just to be on the safe side because tranny rebuild kit i think is like 3k; but def do some more research for sure
Old 08-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

@Sparks Scion TRD Parts quick question how come your turbo kit from Dezod is cheaper than the exact same turbo kit that is listed on the actual Dezod.com site?
They buy in volumes and pass the savings on to you!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Best bang for the buc...DESCENDANT Scion tC kit.
Name:  V20SciontCturbokit.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  59.7 KBName:  turbostage2tcad1lores.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  84.0 KB

Last edited by Rob_DESCENDANT; 08-26-2010 at 10:34 PM.