Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

My STOCK S/C tC blew its motor **EDIT: DOWN AGAIN **

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default My STOCK S/C tC blew its motor **EDIT: DOWN AGAIN **

My STOCK S/C tC blew its motor *sad face*

It happened on saturday... and for those who know the area it happened on I-680 South right before the Sunol Grade.

I was going 75 in the fast lane, and all of a sudden heard a clicking type of noise... all of a sudden i hear a pop.... there is white smoke coming out behind me, and my engine is shut off... I then started signaling and got my way over to the shoulder safely... at which point I opened my hood, and noticed what looked like my valve cover had some melting, and also noticed that my supercharger looked like it was leaking oil on it a little..

Anyway I had it towed to the dealer, and only had to pay $56 for over milage for the tow....

They gave me a rental ( 07 Camary V6 ) but I miss my car lol I hope all is covered by the warranty.... being that it is stock and barely over a year ( and the Tracy Toyota did the install work for me ) so it should be covered, and as I said, its stock.

*UPDATE* 1/22/07 4:30PM - Dublin Toyota REFUSES to cover under warranty due to the fact that they say that there was only 1.5qts of oil in it, even though no lights came on until 10 seconds before it seized... They say its neglect because I didnt check every single time I filled up... which I dont know how many of you check at every fill up ( I check like every 4 or so fill ups, and when on trips ) and I called scion customer care and they will have some one look into it, but I dont have much faith.... looks like im going to be stuck with paying for a new motor + install

*UPDATE* 1/22/07 6:00PM - I went down to Dublin Toyota and I just want to clarify why they wouldn't cover the repairs under warranty. From what I was told by the service manager, the regional manager or whatever was stating that since its in the manual that I must check my oil at every fill up that it is neglect that I did not do that. The bad news, as of right now they can not do anything for me, so I must pressure Scion and Toyota Corp to take care of it. Also they had to take back the rental car or else I would have to pay $50 a day.... that I dont really have free for that... The service manager was nice enough to pay for the weekend out of the dealers pocket so that I wouldnt have to. The dealer will work with me though in the event that toyota will not help me so that I can get my motor rebuilt... however I agree with the dealer that I should not have to do that!

*UPDATE* 1/23/07 3:00PM - Got a message from Scion Customer Care to call back. I called them back and at first she didnt quite understand what was wrong so I explained it all, including how I didnt check my oil at every fill up but that I did check it quite often. She wanted to ensure that I have had the work done at the dealer... Which I have, and she said that she would pull all the information and that she may have to have a factory tech look at it.

*UPDATE* 1/25/07 2:00PM - Got a call from Scion Customer Care, basically repeating what I already know... that due to the lack of oil in my car, they wont fix it, and that its my fault even if I checked the oil and it was fine, it is still my fault. The only suggestion they have for me is that I have it towed to a different dealer which would cost me quite a bit being that I only have the 5 mile tow from AAA. Also due to my current financial state I can not afford to pay for a rental car for the amount of time needed.

*UPDATE* 2/4/07 2:30PM - Currently the only update I have is I have authorized them to tear down the motor in the hopes they will find a failure due to a part and warranty..... but on the plus side, I have also been contacted by the department of consumer affairs - mediation and they are starting to work with me to help me out.

*UPDATE* 2/6/07 5:00PM - They tore down the motor and found that 2 rods have gone through the block and 3 valves have been bent. As it stands they want $16,000 for a new motor + install.... Also if I went with a ZPI longblock, I would be looking close to $10,000 for a motor from them, including whatever install.. However I have recently discovered a slight ray of hope.... I forgot that I have GAP insurance.... and being that the repairs are so much, ill just total the car out and get another car.... and due to my recent experience, it wont be a car in the toyota family, nor do I think I will ever get another toyota/scion/lexus because of how I was treated. As I will also recommend no one else to get one as well.

*Update 3/8/07* Looking for a "new" motor https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=165235

**Now for my request: The dealer has asked me to find any information of anyone who has had this happen (the engine problem like mine) regardless of what was modified on the car (if it was done by toyota or not) and to describe what was done to fix, as the dealer states that he will use it to fight with toyota. If you can post it, or send it to me in a PM id appreciate it and it would help me out a lot!**

*UPDATE 6/26/07* Motor is now in my car, and soon will be running! THANK YOU SO MUCH to dave for helping me out! You rule man!

Only a matter of time till im driving her again!

I will keep you guys posted... never thought this would happen to me!

9/4/07 - New pics of belt problem posted on page 12
Old 01-22-2007, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

How many miles have you put on the car with the s/c installed?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

oh forgot to put that in, I have 29xxx miles, the supercharger was installed after I broke in the motor
Old 01-22-2007, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW! Sorry to about that! Now I'm really starting to second guess getting my s/c installed. I've heard alot of people having problems with the TRD s/c. Pretty discouraging if you ask me. good luck!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

thanks, the sad thing is I was about to buy an intake... glad I didnt...... could've been really bad!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sucks to hear that. but i must say, i'm not surprised.

imo the stock 2az wasn't designed with boosting in mind. this is the camry motor people. a "people mover/family commuter car"

the long stroke and compression ratio don't bode well for forced induction.

if it makes you feel anybetter, i'm sure you're not the only one with a blown motor via FI.

hence why i'm staying NA. for a DD, reliability is key.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by 1SXETC
imo the stock 2az wasn't designed with boosting in mind. this is the camry motor people. a "people mover/family commuter car"

the long stroke and compression ratio don't bode well for forced induction.
I wouldn't say the whole 2AZFE is bad. I have spoken with racers and engine builders recently and they've all said to a letter that rods are toothpicks, but everything else is pretty stout.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Of course the engine wasn't designed for boosting. Had it have been, the internals would have been forged and the compression ratio would have been opened up a little more. Having said that, it's not a BAD engine to boost. A lot of guys on here have gotten away with a lot with good tuning.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well I could understand if I had changed the pulley or other parts thus putting more stress, but on one that is totally stock... makes me wonder if i should even bother trying to put money into pulley, etc.... If I ever do that, I will have to rebuild my motor... not really wanting to do that..
Old 01-22-2007, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to hear that bout your car but IMO people understimate the power or the camry motor i mean i have nitrous and the car seems to handle just fine and im runnig a 75 wet shot and im already im my 4th bottle and im trigger happy so i spray it everyday and its just fine even tho i do check everything everyday it goes through my inspection and it passes lol
Old 01-22-2007, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Just scares me hat its going to happen with my car after I reach 50k+ miles >_<
Old 01-22-2007, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn that sucks.
Hows the Camry?
Old 01-22-2007, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dunno man i think 9.5 to 1 compression is good for boost myself.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:50 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

*Updated info above*
Old 01-22-2007, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed, 9.5:1 compression is good for boost. Hell, some honda guys are running boost with 11:1 compression. It's a gambling game. ANY motor you boost will have problems, so it doesn't matter which one you have, or what you do to it, it may provide it to last longer, but it won't last as long as if it wasn't boosted, unless its from the factory boosted, which means less problems. Simple as that.

By the way, sorry to get off topic. Sorry to hear about your ride. Hope everything gets fixed smoothly, and maybe look at upgrading some internals. Also, stress the importance of finding out EXACTLY what happened and why. That will assist you with figuring out what you need to do in the future to avoid this.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

only problems with mine were self inflicted and low end rpm tuning. black box will fix that. the motor is not made for boost on 1.5quarts of oil though. Checking every fill up should not be necessary. I usually check once every 2 weeks or so.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by pollup
Checking every fill up should not be necessary. I usually check once every 2 weeks or so.
yeah thats what I said..... what do you guys think is the likelihood that scion customer care will actually fix this for me?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well that's one good thing why you bought the TRD product, is to make sure you are covered under warranty. How long have you had it and how many miles. I believe the TRD supercharge only offers 1 year, unlimited miles, at least they did for my 03 corolla supercharger. I would definitely get on the phone with them and talk to someone to make sure you don't get unpleasantly surprised.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:18 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by bcnu_702
Well that's one good thing why you bought the TRD product, is to make sure you are covered under warranty. How long have you had it and how many miles. I believe the TRD supercharge only offers 1 year, unlimited miles, at least they did for my 03 corolla supercharger. I would definitely get on the phone with them and talk to someone to make sure you don't get unpleasantly surprised.
well for mine its covered under the factory warranty and my extended warranty because I got it installed by toyota.... otherwise it wouldve only been 1 year... the thing is they say its no way related (however id like to point out that my oil pan had leaked before and they saw that when doing an oil change and i made an appointment the next day for it) and I have had problems with the tranny since I got it... toyota better fix my car up right!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm sure they will take care of you. If the oil pan was leaking then that was from them when they installed the kit.

Whats wrong with the tranny? Did I miss that?

Quick Reply: My STOCK S/C tC blew its motor **EDIT: DOWN AGAIN **