Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

New fuel control option OPEN-LOOP 3

Old 12-09-2006, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Nice read
Old 12-09-2006, 11:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i havent had the time to try this on my car just yet, due to work sent me over to germany, switzerland, and austria... also, my car is still on stock form and it will be on stock form for quite sometime...

if anyone wants help on this, just PM me and i can guide them through the steps... as long as you have the necessary materials on hand. other than that, nothing yet... oh yeah, those graphs were from my old car (spec v).
Old 12-09-2006, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

make me a nice detailed write up when you get a chance and ill try it. BTW is the ecu getting the CEL from the o2 signal not present or the sensor heater not detected?
Old 12-10-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aight... ill make a write up on how to do this... as for CEL... yes it will pop a CEL due to both o2 sensors disconnected... other than that... nothing else. will post write up soon.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used a slightly different method to accomplish the same thing.

I used the air correction table to take away fuel when not in boost. i took away so much that my long term fuel trim is +25 so the ecu adds the fuel needed to get back to 14.7 AFR when not in boost and while I get into boost it fights alot less because its already in the mode of adding fuel.

the long term fuel trim is also so far out that it set the code p2238 "afr sensor low pumping current" which occurs if there is a problem with the afr sensor or if the car is too rich or lean. so now the computer doesnt pay attention to the afr sensor and is more receptive to what im doing on the emange. you will notice with the scan tool that AFR always read 14.6 once this code is on. (it substitutes this value)

To do this:
you need a scan tool that can monitor long term fuel trims. (i train for snapon so i have a modis at my disposal... graphing makes it much easier)

a wideband
and some sort of piggyback tuner

just take away fuel when not in boost about -5% at a time to make it gradual and watch the fuel trim go up. once its pegged at +25 it should work
Old 01-26-2007, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

bump cause this is good info.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so has anyone tried a similar setup on the 1nzfe? Essentially this seems like it would work. Also, does anyone kow if i can use my reflash module for my tc supercharger on my xa?
Old 01-26-2007, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by bfurches
so has anyone tried a similar setup on the 1nzfe? Essentially this seems like it would work. Also, does anyone kow if i can use my reflash module for my tc supercharger on my xa?
About the reflash: No cause it's not the same maps. U can't use the same fuel curve map for the xA. Totally different setups and hardware.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im sorry.,..let me reiterate.
I understand that i wouldnt be able to use the same map, but the way i see things, is there is no way that little reflash could be anywhere neer as encrypted as the ecu, som why not try tocrack this little box and use it to write our own maps?
Old 01-27-2007, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well Good luck trying to find a flash reader, also good luck trying the encryption. I don't think anyone would bother. If you could actually decrypt the reflash, then u could write your own reflash also, thus u can flash your ECu also. So... I don't think so.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your missing the point. writing a reflash is not the issue in these cars, its being able to break the encryption of the ecu.

what im saying is, i highly doubt that the "reflash" for the tC is as well encrypted as the ecu in the vehicle.

THEREFORE, if you could crack the reflash unit, you would be able to load your own map via this tool which would essentially act as a key (...since the ecu gives this unit permission to load)

Im not saying crack the ecu, im saying crack the reflash.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In all honesty no one has tried to do this to my knowledge but in my opninion I think the reflash is just as encrypted as the regular ECU code. Also alot of us already have piggy back ECU control and are probably not willing to try a reflash... atleast not yet.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^i dont understand your logic. If you could runn a reflash which was more reliable and predictable than a piggy back without a CEL, why wouldnt a lot of people be willing to?
Old 01-28-2007, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you just spent 500+ dollars on a piggy back and harness then most of us are not willing to buy something else as of yet. Also nothing says it will be more reliable and predictable.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well actualy it def. would be more predictable...
you are writing your own fuel maps which to the ecu, not simply altering signals the ecu sees or playing tricks by locking the car into open loop.
but just my 02
if i can get this to work and post results, anyone interested can pm me
Old 01-29-2007, 11:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

your missing the point. writing a reflash is not the issue in these cars, its being able to break the encryption of the ecu.

what im saying is, i highly doubt that the "reflash" for the tC is as well encrypted as the ecu in the vehicle.

THEREFORE, if you could crack the reflash unit, you would be able to load your own map via this tool which would essentially act as a key (...since the ecu gives this unit permission to load)

Im not saying crack the ecu, im saying crack the reflash.
Did u know the -reflash tool gets to connect to TOYOTAs Computers before flashing the ECU? second, no, No one even cares to try to decrypt the flash, cause it's compatible to the encryption on the ECU, so no go there. 3rd, I think that with the S/C on the market for more than a year, someone may have already tried somewhere, and if nothing is told, then he might have failed. Do you know what kind of decryption tools u would need to do this kind of job, maybe even more than $200 in hardware. Get my drift?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, im not here to play bashing games with you people. Im presenting a very real life tool which may yield very real results, something along the lines of Hondata.

For your information, I am very well aware of how the reflash unit works, i have installed multiple TRD superchargers, they are nothing new to me. As far as your comment on the reflash:

"No one even cares to try to decrypt the flash, cause it's compatible to the encryption on the ECU"

...umm right.
I guarentee if you gave any novice tuner, someone who has limmited fuel tunning abilities, or anyone who doesent want to run a CEL for that mater a true reflash, im pretty sure that they would choose that route.

Are there going to be people who want a piggy back? absolutely.
Would a reflash that works sell? sure would.

As far as code readers which are compatible with the reflash, yes i have someone who has the hardware, and please allow me to assure you its much more than 200.00 worth of crap.

I never said this was an easy process or that it was even going to work, im simply presenting a very real life option for anyone interested. As for the encryption beingm"compatible," once again you are wrong. The tool loads the propper passwords required in order to open the ecu for reflash. It acts as a key. I have someone working very dillegantly on making this work.

Its completely fine if people on here dont want to believe me, or feel that i dont have the resources to make this work. Im not here to beg you all to believe me, im posting a new idea which has been aparently overlooked.

...and btw, just because the supercharger has been out for a while doesent meen that evryone has already thought of evrything. I know for a fact a very reputable company is using this reflash on there turbo kit to have "oem" fuel management on there tC.

Regardless, i will keep those interested posted.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ok, im not here to play bashing games with you people. Im presenting a very real life tool which may yield very real results, something along the lines of Hondata.

For your information, I am very well aware of how the reflash unit works, i have installed multiple TRD superchargers, they are nothing new to me. As far as your comment on the reflash:

"No one even cares to try to decrypt the flash, cause it's compatible to the encryption on the ECU"

...umm right.
I guarentee if you gave any novice tuner, someone who has limmited fuel tunning abilities, or anyone who doesent want to run a CEL for that mater a true reflash, im pretty sure that they would choose that route.

Are there going to be people who want a piggy back? absolutely.
Would a reflash that works sell? sure would.

As far as code readers which are compatible with the reflash, yes i have someone who has the hardware, and please allow me to assure you its much more than 200.00 worth of crap.

I never said this was an easy process or that it was even going to work, im simply presenting a very real life option for anyone interested. As for the encryption beingm"compatible," once again you are wrong. The tool loads the propper passwords required in order to open the ecu for reflash. It acts as a key. I have someone working very dillegantly on making this work.

Its completely fine if people on here dont want to believe me, or feel that i dont have the resources to make this work. Im not here to beg you all to believe me, im posting a new idea which has been aparently overlooked.

...and btw, just because the supercharger has been out for a while doesent meen that evryone has already thought of evrything. I know for a fact a very reputable company is using this reflash on there turbo kit to have "oem" fuel management on there tC.

Regardless, i will keep those interested posted.
Okay, if u have acces to a flash then try it. Also, why use a flash over a piggyback when EVERYTIME u change something on the car, let's say add an intake AFTER the flash, u would have to flash the ECU all over again, cause the fuel map would change. This happens also with Mitsu y Hondas, and don't tell me I down't know that for a fact cause I do. I have seen it. It's not that I don't want to believe you, I'm just saying it would be HARD AS HELL. Also all other cars who get a flash for tuning, are cars which ECUs are prone to be able to change the internal memory chip that stores the fuel maps. I'm just saying, that u won't be able to do it with a Scion. Why? CAUSE NO ONE HAS EVER DECRYPTED A TYCO ECU. And if they did, No one is talking. I'm not bashing u, I'm just trying to help u understand, that is not as easy as it seems, and even if someone can do it. Do you know how much would they charge for that service... let me give u an example with a known car. They charge over $350, for a performance flash for an EVO. Just imagine with a car that is not so common to flash, if it could be done. It economics, that would be over $400, because of R&D and because it's so new.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok... back to topic before it gets locked.

as for the reflash being "hacked"... it can be done... it just takes too much time and R&D... im sure the reflash for the TRD tc can be reprogramed for other cars... ie xa or xb... but would it be usefull since they dont have a supercharger? prolly not. anyways... as for the write up... i have 2 peeps requesting them... i will write them up as soon as possible. just hold on.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

kay, sorry.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New fuel control option OPEN-LOOP 3