Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Oil cooler in-line with turbo oil feed line?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry not what I meant I have an Idea for that one But I am talking bout the oil lines. after or before the turbo ? could I make it go from the turbo to the oil cooler to the oil pan ? or what ? I found a deal on a good kit here in town so I am thinking bout it. comes with a power steering cooler too. so let me know.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I wouldnt run it that way personally. I would run the cooler as a full flow, so it cools ALL the oil, and tap your turbo supply off the return line and just drain it all back to the pan. Running the cooler after the turbo can cause the turbo seals to leak or blow if the cooler causes enough restriction to build pressure on the drain side of the oiling system.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Agree, you wouldn't want to mount a cooler after or it will reduce flow and cause the turbo not to drain properly, blowing a seal. If you're running partial-flow, do it on the feed line, and make sure there is a thermostat to bypass the cooler when the oil is still warming up, otherwise you may not get sufficient flow through the cooler to lubricate the turbo bearings properly.

Personally, I will probably be going with a full-flow cooler, feeding the turbo off of the return line like Windu said. The oil cooler is 1/2" NPT and the turbo feed 1/8", so I don't think I'd get adequate flow through the cooler to do too much otherwise on a partial flow setup. I'd still like to do a top-mount oil cooler though. My grill is crowded enough with the intercooler and transmission cooler. I'd install a functional scoop over the oil cooler and mount the cooler on a fabricated bracket over the engine. The plastic engine cover is thermally insulated pretty well so I don't think I'd need to worry too much about heat soak from the block.