Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ok need answers quick!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ok need answers quick!

ok so low and behold i walked a wrx sti old school style.... so i miss shifted 4th gear slammed rev limiter ...i get back to a friends house get out of the car and I have ticking noise it sounds like its on top of the head like a valve or something ... any ideas on what it could be and how much it would be to get it fixed

wont be under warranty since its turboed ...i was only running 5.5 lbs but its the miss shift that screwed me

ideas and suggestions
Old 05-26-2007, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whoa. u missed 4th gear while street racing which means you were going about 80-85 and you hit the rev limit.
just checking.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Banned
SL Member

Probably nothing, but try to find another tC to listen to them side by side. The tC has loud "ticking" stock, and now that you are listening for it, it sounds bad.

Good luck.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my evap isnt hooked up we unhooked it cause its not really needed ... but taking a screwdriver to the head ...old school trick it sounds like its the second cylinder from the right ...

but we think that it might be the spark plugs too ...its a list of things i have to get into it and take it apart

and if i have to take the head off im parking the car and upgrading valve springs and seats and everything im not even going to bother fixing stock ____ ...whats the point im turboed
Old 05-26-2007, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your car is most likely fine. the rev limit is there for your motor's safety. its not good to hit it a whole lot but the chances you messed anything up are slim to none.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its completely not fine lol...you hear a distinct tick coming from the top of the 2nd cylinder from the right .... my dad thinks i bent a rocker arm and yea your rev limiter is there for the motors safety...but what happens with air being rushed into the motor ....yea theres really no safety to mechanical screw up
Old 05-26-2007, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by turbotc06
its completely not fine lol...you hear a distinct tick coming from the top of the 2nd cylinder from the right .... my dad thinks i bent a rocker arm and yea your rev limiter is there for the motors safety...but what happens with air being rushed into the motor ....yea theres really no safety to mechanical screw up
correct for that split second your car goes crazy lean, and its very possible you bent a rocker arm. inspect it or take it to a mechanic before you end up blowing the motor. but like the other guy was saying there is a ticking noise that comes from all cylinders and thats normal.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup welp its coming apart tomorrow morning does anyone know where i can buy better or new stock rocker arms besides a stealership

my dad really thinks thats what it is so tomorrow bright and early im taking her apart and getting new rocker arms and i need to find at least 440 cc injectors because the stock ones are the reason all of this would have came down to grenading the motor eventually so now the car is going to stay parked until i build up my motor thank god work is a 5 minute walk im going to love this summer lol
Old 05-27-2007, 02:50 AM
SL Member

i highly suggest that you also get a compresion check as well. i dont think that they cost that much.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i pulled the valve cover tonight about an hour ago

i cant really tell if the cam gear towards the back of the motor is damaged but it looks like
over the piston that is causing the tapping is knocked out of place tomorrow is a new day and im going to adjust the cam so that it sits in the spot again

it looks like the cam taps on the top of the block and then goes and opens the valve ...eyeing up the cam to the valve it looks like its just a tad off and it is rubbing the head and then proceding to open the valve but i need daylight to really get into it
Old 05-27-2007, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so now i put the car back together it ran fine for about 5 minutes no obnoxoius ticking just the injectors .... after that the ticking came back ... but then i took it for a spin ... it was ticking and then it stopped ...and then it started again and then i came home parked it and its ticking again ...i dunno any ideas or suggestions before i have a shop tear the motor apart?