Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

PTuning Equipped tC's turn heads @ track

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Default PTuning Equipped tC's turn heads @ track

Another successful track day at Nashville Super Speedway. Brian (Jester) and myself were laying down the rubber and taking names with our 3xxwhp tC's against Porsche Cayman S, Porsche 911 turbos, open wheeled race cars...etc. We have some new track stories to share and more importantly....VIDEOS!!!!! I will work on getting mine compiled and I'm sure he will chime in with some of his own as well as share the tale of making new friends with the 600hp and 700hp equipped 911 turbo guys.

Ones I enjoyed chasing down were a Lancer Evo VI (very nice, looked like it came out of GT5). And the Porsche Cayman S with about an additional $20k worth of mods in it.

I looked up the specs for the Cayman S and they are:

320 hp @ 7,200 rpm
0-60 mph: 4.9 s
Top Track Speed: 172 mph
Consumption (Highway): 26 mpg (Manual)
MSRP $ 62,100.00

Like I said, it had $20k worth of mods already done to it when he bought it off another guy. He mentioned it was chipped (so more power than stock), brake package upgrade, adjustable suspension upgrade, sway bar upgrade, intake filter also.

We were evenly matched on the straights and I was stuck to his bumper in the corners and out cornering him. Got the pass going onto the front straight and then pulled away from him through the corners (Brian was corner working at the time and I only hope he got external video of this little battle, cause I did not record this one).

They also had an AutoX start/stop competition. We were to line on Pit lane and start from a dig and when we passed the start/finish line on the actual track, they would stop time.

They placed me in what they called Group 4 (not a race car but a modified one). Also in Group 4 was a Mustang with a non-stock V8, slicks, Lexan Glass on all windows/windshield, Roll Cage, gutted, race seat, removable steering wheel, non-factory dash AND it was trailered into the event! THAT was in my freaking group!!! Really? That's a damn race car. Anyhow, I had a passenger with me and this Mustang from a dig off the grid, beat my time by 2secs. I did a 1:22xx and he did a 1:20xx. So, he won Group 4 and I was runner up, with my passenger equipped Street car...

Anyhow, videos to come of some good action and you will get to see the Open Wheeled car that was 1275lbs and 15xxlbs with driver in it! Had a Motorcycle 4banger, no bushings what so ever so it was on rails, Hoosier slicks. Would catch me in the corners, but only had 115hp to muster down the straights. So, when I give him the point-by, he immediately points me back by because we were entering the front straight and I was pedaling the throttle behind him.

The thread title is fitting because it's awesome to go to the track and have guys in $60-160k dollar cars coming over to US in the Scions to figure out how WE are that fast.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good to see you still on track with your set up.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Was wondering where u was. Good to hear u have fun at the track

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2011, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Oh yeah for sure. That's why I went with this setup. It performs, that's about as simple as it gets. I drove from my house to the track, whooped up on it, and drove home.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is a prime example why it is more enjoyable to build a car to be quick and trackworthy, rather than going to the dealership and drop $70k. That is what I like. Did Brian enjoy being 100% again ?

Looking forward to next weekend, let's make it a PTUNING sweep.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
This is a prime example why it is more enjoyable to build a car to be quick and trackworthy, rather than going to the dealership and drop $70k. That is what I like. Did Brian enjoy being 100% again ?

Yes it was....car ran flawlessly! You know you are doing something right when the 700whp twin turbo Porsche guys come over after the session and are asking
why they cant seem to get away from us on the track!!

Plenty of videos to come!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa

Oh I'm sure he was having a blast... He's up, sending him the link to the thread now so he can chime in.

And you will have to make the PTuning Sweep without me . No funds to make the trip, back on the job market after last contract expired.

**edit...there he is...lol
Old 09-11-2011, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

You know what's really fun.....Telling people it's on a stock motor and low boost! That is a Mouth dropper there..Have them wondering if their car was broken or something like Brian was saying....lol.

When I was corner working, I forgot my cam back in the paddock, so I didn't get the external vids of Brian passing the GT500 Mustang Vert.

Did you get that on the GoPro B?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How is it that you can pull on cars with better weight distribution and more horsepower & torque?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by trd07tc
How is it that you can pull on cars with better weight distribution and more horsepower & torque?
Easy...

One
it's not a drag strip

and two
the cars are not driven by pre-programmed robots.

We run in the Expert/Instructors grouping. Everyone in our grouping are also in the Expert/Instructors run group, so it's not like a couple of Expert drivers running against Novices.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who said anything about a drag strip?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrtas guys glad to hear you guys are tearing it up on the track
Old 09-11-2011, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Who said anything about a drag strip?
No one, it was to simply convey that power is more of a secondary requirement to turning fast lap times at a race track.

That's why I love the Road Course

I'm sure my P-to-W ratio was about equal to the Cayman S that I was running behind and finally passed. Through the corners I put my car in all the right places to maintain speed and momentum and I was stuck to him like glue. He wasn't going to just "let" me pass, cause I had to kick it up a notch to actually get the pass on him.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

When I was corner working, I forgot my cam back in the paddock, so I didn't get the external vids of Brian passing the GT500 Mustang Vert.

Did you get that on the GoPro B?
yes I did!

Also got data logs from all sessions, the datalogger setup I have now is just way bad A$$(AIM Solo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2011, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Old 09-12-2011, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Pics FTW!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:07 PM
SL Member

More Pics and some videos please!!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

travis you do all this on stock rims?*jaw on floor*
Old 09-12-2011, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

it's about power delivery. travis doesnt have to be in the top end of his powerband to have huge power.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Syldrin
travis you do all this on stock rims?*jaw on floor*

Yeah 225/45/17. That's about to change though. My street wheels are going to be 18x9.75 that I will probably double up as some track wheels until I can afford my track wheels, which will probably be 17x10's.

Car definitely still has a LOT more left in it. I don't have suspension bushings, no cage for extra stiffness and safety, stock wheels like you said, running EBC yellow stuff brake pads and a stock motor. I still have another 40-100lbs to shed off the car when I replace the roof and hatch.

Originally Posted by Syldrin
it's about power delivery. travis doesnt have to be in the top end of his powerband to have huge power.
And the cool thing is, I can put it all down to the ground. I don't spin tires all over the place like people do with decently powered FWD cars or people tend to think of when they think of FWD and power. I heard a good quote or read it somewhere that said....."If you want to maintain traction, then stay above peak torque". And it makes total sense, cause if you are below that in our cars, you are going to spin them in the lower gears (1-3rd).

Last edited by rhythmnsmoke; 09-12-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: PTuning Equipped tC's turn heads @ track