Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Rattling sound when over 3500 - 4000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The dealer has had my car for 6 days in the past two weeks and still is making more rattles squeaks and creaks than the space shuttle on re-entry. (my car makes every noise ever discussed here)

I have gone thru the Scion Customer Care rigmarole and they are sending out a master tech to take a look at it. I'll let everyone know how that turns out.

For what it's worth, I think it's the engine cover vibrating, but I have yet to get around to taking it off and seeing if the noise stops.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just back from a 3000 mile round trip in my tC. Havn't seen the board in a while and was wondering about this thread. As far as noises go, now with 4700 miles on my car -- wow my A/C compressor is noisy. It sounds like an old GM compressor with 140,000 miles on it. Is that normal for Toyota compressors? It seemed louder after long cruises at 80+mph in the 95 degree florida sun.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member

Just got off the phone with my service guy... according to him i have to wait till end of AUG for the "master" tech to come take a look at my car... END OF AUGUST!!! you gotta be kidding me!

Anyone else has any other updates?
Old 09-02-2006, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any info? its already sept.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hello im cmcpride and I'm a toyota tech . this post is old but i'll still post , I believe all of you guys are having problems with your serpentine Belt tensioner , its hydraulic and will loose tension (even if no leaks at visual) and it will be most noticable in manual trans because of stronger rpms and no slack as with auto . if that makes any sence. Replace belt tensioner is no easy task need to ether lower or raise engine ,unable to remove duo to long bolt . try this ,it may solve your problem or not but its a start..
Old 12-21-2006, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cmcpride
hello im cmcpride and I'm a toyota tech . this post is old but i'll still post , I believe all of you guys are having problems with your serpentine Belt tensioner , its hydraulic and will loose tension (even if no leaks at visual) and it will be most noticable in manual trans because of stronger rpms and no slack as with auto . if that makes any sence. Replace belt tensioner is no easy task need to ether lower or raise engine ,unable to remove duo to long bolt . try this ,it may solve your problem or not but its a start..
That may be the case, but trying to get the toyota dealer to check that out and cover it under warranty is an entirely different issue. I will admit though it's been awhile, i have always noticed a burning rubber smell coming from the engine, since day 1. I had toyota check it out and they did mention my Serpantine belt was rubbing against the Tensioner, but they said it will align itself after awhile or some BS. I havent checked the belt since, this was about a year ago..maybe i should give it another looksie.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will have to check on our heat shields for the exhaust manifolds. A common problem for the honda guys. My integra would have the same symptoms. Turns out it was a heatshield. 2 of them to be exact. One was the metal piece behind our header. Since there are 2 shields, at certain RPM's they would rattle. Another is the heatshield underneath the cat. It comes loose overtime. It's more common in the northern states, due to rusting from the salt on the ground during winter months.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member

Default your noise

what is done to your tc and performance parts done to the motor
Old 12-21-2006, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MisterKe
I will have to check on our heat shields for the exhaust manifolds. A common problem for the honda guys. My integra would have the same symptoms. Turns out it was a heatshield. 2 of them to be exact. One was the metal piece behind our header. Since there are 2 shields, at certain RPM's they would rattle. Another is the heatshield underneath the cat. It comes loose overtime. It's more common in the northern states, due to rusting from the salt on the ground during winter months.
This is the problem I had. Mine had a bolt break that holds the manifold heat shield.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scoobyroo2002
I will admit though it's been awhile, i have always noticed a burning rubber smell coming from the engine, since day 1.
Same here. Lately, I've been noticing some type of burning smell coming from the hood area after I've been driving around for a while. It's more pronounced if I drove hard once or twice in my trip, but I didn't think I needed to be concerned. Nothing's wrong with my car thus far...
Old 12-23-2006, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it seems like rattles is a feature scion installed on this car
Old 12-23-2006, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get and engine damper to cover up all the noises with some new noises!
Old 12-24-2006, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i have a 07 and i herd it the first 2000 miles only happens when excelerating
Old 03-07-2007, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same ticking/rattle noise. it's only on acceleration and only above 3k rpm. and mostly noticible in 3-5th gear. it comes from the passanger side of the engine compartment, near the pulleys i guess.

I have a 5sp w/ about 38k miles. i have the C.C. short shifter and a lightened flywheel. i first noticed the noise a few months after having the flywheel put on. but i don't necessarily think it was from the flywheel because i usually have the music too loud to hear it. i could have had the noise for a long time w/o ever noticing it.

the noise comes and goes. i tried taking off the valve cover thing, but that didn't help.
i've had the noise for about a year. it's never gotten any louder or more frequent.
i've pretty much given up any hope of figuring out what it is.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm getting the same noise as you all have mentioned on this post, but I also get a thump typed rattle when I quickly press the gas in first gear and release it. I have the other rattles that occur in the 3000 RPM range that sound like they're coming from behind the dash, but the thump type sound comes from that area also when I get on the gas from a stop it is a quick almost bang type rattle. I have also noticed lately annoying rattles coming from the hand holder things you can pull down with your hand above the doors especially drivers one, makes all kinds of creeks and rattles etc. I think as someone else said, the scion comes standard with these rattles. This is not to mention the sunroof rattles, hatchback rattles and other such noises I hear. Oh well, guess I'll have to deal with it because I still love my tc even with all these damn noises.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just have to say the tC just rattles like crazy!!! I'm so frustrated on all the new rattles that have come to life that I want to get another car that is rattle free. I've had my car for about 2 1/2 years now and the first 2 years no rattles but now all these rattles are appearing and I can't seem to pin point them.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I really spent some time today trying to examine the loud rattle I get when I release the clutch and get on the gas in first gear, it only apprears for about a second or so once I release the clutch and the car kicks into gear (the jolt of the car) the loud rattle sound happens, it's so loud it sounds like it is right inside the dashboard right in middle of it actually. I just can't figure out what it is, I checked under the car, probed around under the hood etc., I really have no clue what this latest rattle is but it is very loud and making me nervous. I don't think it's the engine because it only happens for a second and it's the jolting of the car that causes it, if I release the clutch and give minimal gas it won't happen, only when I get on it for that first second the rattle happens. Anyone have this rattle occur on their car??
Old 03-28-2007, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

probably has nothing to do with the noises, but I'll throw it out there:

http://www.jasperengines.com/pdf/Toy...ineNoiseTB.pdf

Maybe the TC airbox acts in some mysterious way with the intake manifold?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine too is rattling around 3500 to 3900 RPM anything above and below that seems fine. Anybody find out the cause of this beside the possible serpentine belt?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am pretty sure this rattle is the heatshield. I hear it too but not to the point where its unbearable, you really have to listen to it.

Quick Reply: Rattling sound when over 3500 - 4000 RPM