Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Rattling sound when over 3500 - 4000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 10:13 PM

I have an 06 Superchargerd 5sp tC.
In any gear, when I hit about 3200rpm, i get a fluctuation sound that is actually really loud and annoying.
At the same time, I get a rattle within my steering column and the center area of the dash (kinda sounds like it's behind the radio).

I've taken it to 2 different dealerships, in which the first one said they couldn't do anything to the car since the S/C wasn't installed at that dealership.
I complained very angrily so they ended up looking at it anyways.
After an entire day of having my car, they called to tell me that they could not re-create the problem.

So looking back at where the S/C was originally installed, I took it back to that dealership, and has the Assistant Service Manager ride with me so I could recreate the problem for them.
He agreed that something was wrong, had my car for the day, and called to tell me that the noise was being caused by the bearings going out in the supercharger.
Finally!! Someone who actually did something!

Wait... there's bad news...

Toyota marked in their records that they would not be replacing the S/C on this car again since this was, not 1... not 2... but the third that was already put on this care!
Keep in mind that there is still a factory warranty on this car, and the current S/C was installed on 4 months ago!
Design flaw perhaps?
Now I had to open a case with Scion Customer Service, in which they will be calling me back on Monday to tell me what there final disposition is on the replacement of the S/C.

I'll update more then...

If they deny this, I will be calling the district mgr, then regional mgr, and if need be, then Corporate.
It's bs for them to deny their own factory warranty!
Old 07-03-2007, 01:28 PM

Ok, so talked to the Scion Customer Service yesterday around lunch time, and wow... no help at all!
The guy who called me, Joel, said he had no idea what was going on, didn't understand why the dealership would not replace my warrantied S/C, and it would take him a few days to figure this information out.
I don't see where the problem lies here...
The current S/C was installed less than 6 months ago, has a warranty, and now the bearings are going out. Replace the thing!
Anyways, has anyone else had these kind of issues while dealing with Scion/Toyota?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the rattle in my 07!
it drives me NUTS!!!
im also getting a grind when i push on the breaks a litle harder then normal...but not slamming!
my hatch rattles to!!!
and something under my hood ticks!
sooo annoyed...
gunna take it into toyota/scion this week!
Old 07-05-2007, 08:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JaCqEeZ
I am pretty sure this rattle is the heatshield. I hear it too but not to the point where its unbearable, you really have to listen to it.
I've had similar rattling issues. Occasionally when I shift I hear a rattling sound. I assumed it was the heat shield. Well, once I get an aftermarket header and get rid of that heat shield then we'll see if the rattling stops. Now if only I could do something about my damned clutch squeak
Old 07-05-2007, 09:21 PM

ITS THE VVTi at work
Old 07-24-2007, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My S/C bracket broke on the pulley side. It was replaced under warranty and the rattle is now gone. I have no idea how long the bracket was broken because the dealer never noticed when I asked them to check the rattle and neither did I. The crack was right behind the S/C shaft and difficult to see. The only reason I found it was I blew another radiator and was filling it so I could make it to the dealer with coolant. I set the radiator cap on top of the engine and it slide down between the S/C shaft and the engine. Dumb luck but there was the cracked bracket.

I thought it was the heat shield for the longest time.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:37 PM

has anyone figured this out yet? i posted 2 posts ^ that it was vvti....which i heard from a friend that has a tC but, i'm starting to think that's not the case.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jconner
has anyone figured this out yet? i posted 2 posts ^ that it was vvti....which i heard from a friend that has a tC but, i'm starting to think that's not the case.
So far the rattle on mine is still gone. Mine was a broken bracket on the pulley side. I have no idea how long it was broken because it was right behind the shaft and sorta hard to see unless you look real close.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok i have had the same problem come up with my 05 scion tc manual that is not supercharged. i get a rattle noise when ever i am at 2500 rpm or higher in any gear. when i take my foor off the gas it gets quieter but if i am holding a speed it gets louder and stays but when i accelerate it goes away. also some times when i have my clucth fully engaged it will not want to go into gear or will grind. going to dealer in a bit to find out what it is.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

dang i got this rattle problem now too. it sounds like its coming from the left side vent area when cruising at 80 or above. its really annoying.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine comes from straight on, look at my post about it tht i made tonight and you will see an update
Old 01-25-2008, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it was established long ago that these cars rattle, can we get over it?
Old 02-12-2008, 05:30 PM

Nope, I'm not over it yet I spent good money on this car and expected Toyota's reputation for quality. I'm still surprised they are tarnishing their brand by selling a vehicle with these problems.

My '05 manual trans tC developed this same rattle.

Description:
at 3K RPM, doesn't matter what gear, even in neutral, I get the rattle. Sounds like a baseball card on bicycle wheel spokes, but faster. The sound's magnitude is linked to the accelerator/strain on the engine, and also occurs during engine braking around the same RPM. Happens when the car is warmed up mostly - did a ride with a Toyota tech for them to be able to hear it (they couldn't find it on their own). They worked a couple days on the car, but ended up just putting in noise dampening foam. Problem is still there. Crappy design, apparently. (edit: FYI: this is a stock vehicle - no supercharger)

_____ing:
The car looks like a Lexus, but is built like a Corolla - hard to deny it. Scion is smoke and mirrors. Driving on the highway at 65 in 5th is right at 3K RPM, so whenever I'm on the highway at speed, I get to enjoy the sound. I drop out of warranty in a few days....
Old 02-12-2008, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have it too. No supercharger, just an intake here. It's like a buzzing sound from the dash area, and it only happens under heavy acceleration. I hear it every time I'm gassing it on the freeway onramp.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:39 AM

i have the same rattle when i hit the gas hard. it sounds like its coming from the inside by the ac vents near the windshield near the middle. When i hit the gas to the high rmps for acceleration it sounds like a tick tick knock knock like if there was a pebble stuck inside the plastic between the windshield and windsheild wipers. has anyone fixed this yet?
Old 08-05-2017, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by BOOBOY
Mine too is rattling around 3500 to 3900 RPM anything above and below that seems fine. Anybody find out the cause of this beside the possible serpentine belt?

i have been having the same issues and a mechanic told me it was the slave cylinder rattling where the bearing pushes the friction disc. Could this be the issue I don't want to do a clutch kit to fix it and it not be the issue