Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Rubbing/Growling noise b/w 3k~3500 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rubbing/Growling noise b/w 3k~3500 rpm

Hi all. I've got an '08 tC, ~89k miles, Dezod s1 kit (on for about 3100 miles), Exedy Stage 1 clutch (soon to be swapped out). Just installed the kit about 1 1/2 months ago, but recently started hearing this rubbing/growling (sry, don't know how to explain it any better) sound from the front of the car. Not sure if it is coming from the turbo, from the trans, from the engine or somewhere else. Tried to take a video of the sound, but didn't get great quality sound. Weird thing is that it only happens between 3000~3500 rpm. Below this range, it sounds normal. Above this range, it sounds normal (really the engine + turbo drowns out most other noise). Has anyone else encountered this or have any ideas as to what it could be?

Plan to take the kit off this weekend and go back to N/A to see if the sound is still there. It'll also give me a chance to look at the turbo a bit better. Checked the compressor side wheel and verified that it isn't hitting the housing, so still want to check the turbine side (plus it would allow me to eliminate the turbo if the sound is still there with it off). Also contacted Paul @ Dezod and showed him how much shaft play it had. He said it looked normal. Since I've isolated the sound to the above rpm range (happens in all gears and neutral), I am suspecting one of the below:
- turbo
- drive shaft
- serpentine belt
- pulley/bearings (really hope it's as simple as this one)

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old 09-25-2012, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default **UPDATE**

Took her for a test run a little while ago and noticed the sound was more like a vibration. Could be an IC pipe or downpipe/s-pipe rubbing on something? Sound is more pronounced at low load coasting and decel (still 3000~3500 rpm range) than it is during accel.