Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Toyota and TRD strike again!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Any aftermarket part (performance or otherwise) lowers the resale value. Performance parts also have the wonderful stigmata of giving people the impression that you beat on the car before you traded it in.

Don't buy a car for its resale value Buy a car for the fun you can have with it.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This morning My car 's engine shut off when I was driving on the highway. I still had power to the radio and other stuff. So I have to let the car roll to the side. I try to turn back on twice and it stay on for not even second. then I check the engine and did see anything wrong. on the 3rd or the 4th time it turn back on. I called the dealership that ts close to me so I won't have to travel to far just in case it shut off again when i called the dealership that was close to me and they said wait to see if it happen again. I'm like yeah right in my head, I not waiting. I'm about to call the Dealership where I got my car from and had my supercharger installed
Old 11-08-2006, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

sounds like you're losing Vaccum somewhere.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thats what I was just saying...go look at where your bypass valve is and see if any of the vac hoses slipped off the T that they use...I had it happen a couple of times.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok I will check it out. I should just take out my boost gauge also since it's hooked up to the Vaccum tube?
Old 11-08-2006, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

you don't need to, but I would also check that tube end-to-end to make sure there's no leaks.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah i had that problem when my intake pipe disconnected at the throttle body.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That scenario sounds a lot like the one I had with my car two weeks ago when my engine stalled out. It didn't lock, I just couldn't get it to turn over. Turned out the internals were fried. Then again, I assume your S/C is in good working order (no bearing problems etc), anything that would send metal shavings into the engine.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well just got word from the dealership. The talked to TRD a few more times and there is a new supercharger unit arriving at the dealership today for installation. FINALLY more than a week later! Of course they don't know when they are going to finish installing it.

the wait is almost over ... maybe.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Glad everything worked out for you bro. Way to stay calm and stick it out.

Also, props to everyone that owns/ed a GM and said they never had problem with their dealers. I have a 97z24 and a common problem presented itself and the engine blew. The local dealer tried to void my warranty because I had changed out the muffler. I went over one day to talk to them about it, they said since I had changed the muffler they couldn't cover te repair under warranty (28k miles at the time), and that I would be responsible for the $2,800 repair. I went out to get my garage door opener from the car and left a copy of the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act on the passenger seat. Within 4 hours, the service manager called, said all new parts were ordered and they would have the car back within a week, all covered by warranty.

Cliff notes: dealers, in my dealings, will try to bully you to get your money for warranty repairs.

Luckily, my Scion dealer has never given me any problems that weren't quickly resolved.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^ lemme guess. #4 rod bearing??
Old 11-09-2006, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Robs_tc
That scenario sounds a lot like the one I had with my car two weeks ago when my engine stalled out. It didn't lock, I just couldn't get it to turn over. Turned out the internals were fried. Then again, I assume your S/C is in good working order (no bearing problems etc), anything that would send metal shavings into the engine.
I check my S/C I couldn't find anything wrong with it. My car only stalled out once yesterday, and I was going about 50 mph when the engine stalled. it took me four times to get it to turn back on, Yesterdaty I went to the Dealership that's like 3 miles from my office. they really didn't do anything but check the Air box because I was on my one hour lunch break and I didn't have much time .they said it doesn't look like anything is wrong. They wanted me to leave the car but i didn't have a ride back. They never installed a supercharger before. So I'm taking it the dealer where I got my S/C installed on Saturday.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion05BOPxB
Glad everything worked out for you bro. Way to stay calm and stick it out.

Also, props to everyone that owns/ed a GM and said they never had problem with their dealers. I have a 97z24 and a common problem presented itself and the engine blew. The local dealer tried to void my warranty because I had changed out the muffler. I went over one day to talk to them about it, they said since I had changed the muffler they couldn't cover te repair under warranty (28k miles at the time), and that I would be responsible for the $2,800 repair. I went out to get my garage door opener from the car and left a copy of the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act on the passenger seat. Within 4 hours, the service manager called, said all new parts were ordered and they would have the car back within a week, all covered by warranty.

Cliff notes: dealers, in my dealings, will try to bully you to get your money for warranty repairs.

Luckily, my Scion dealer has never given me any problems that weren't quickly resolved.
Yes, unfortunately the dealers are individual entities, not part of the manufacturer, so they all do thier own things.. many times in a bad way.

My GM's were all good to me for the most part. I had an 85 cavalier once that was great.. then started having some major crank walk issues at about 200k... but at that mileage anything could happen. Turns out the damper was covered in oil from a previous front seal failure and was in pretty bad shape. That is the only thing that me, my father (a mechanic) and a machine shop could attribute to the failure.. but of course there was not 100% way to tell for sure. The car was old and dead so we didnt put too much troubleshooting into it. My saturn is still my commuter/winter car at 170k with no issues other than normal wear and tear.. and that was after 120k. So I have never seen a dealership with mine Glad you got yours fixed.. and glad your Scion dealer is treating you well.

To the OP, glad to hear you were taken care of!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just check my Air box again and I realize, I have one question. This might be a dumb quesiton. The stock Air filter for the supercharger is an Air filter 17801-03010 and it has TRD-HC filter/trap right? The reason why I'm asking this because the Air filter looks different from the First supercharger pictures and the trd parts catalog. Did they change the Design of the Air filter from the first one set up or what
Old 11-14-2006, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Well I finally pick it up tonight. The tech installed it via conference call with Bob Garner at TRD. Apparently there are a lot of tolerances and exact measurements that must be abided by, because they had to add a bunch of shims to get it within spec. Man, I hope I don't have this problem again, it took 2 weeks to get the repair approved and re-installed.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How did you get around with no car for 2 weeks? Did they give you a loaner car?
Old 11-14-2006, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The dealer was great with me and gave me a loaner under warrenty for the two weeks I had my car in. They worked with me every step of the way while TRD dragged out what they were going to do.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

no they didn't even offer and I didn't ask. I used my girlfriend's car and my motorcycle.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't mention it was the new Camry v6, NICE That thing has got some power.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

so the CEL came on this morning now too. Same code as I had 3 weeks ago the first time I took it in. P0420. They had changed the O2 sensor and all was well, but it's back. I wonder if my primary cat is bad?

hmmm. Oh well, back to the dealer we go again.

Quick Reply: Toyota and TRD strike again!!