Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Zpi stage 1 vs turbonetics kit.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member

Default Zpi stage 1 vs turbonetics kit.

I did a search and couldn't find the exact information I was looking for. What is it about the zpi stage 1 that helps it make 50+ more whp than the turbonetics? Everone says the bb that comes with the turbonetics is a better turbo so why does the zpi make so much more power? Is it the tuning? emanage vs the unichip? I see that turbonetics is 8 psi and zpi is 9-10 but 2psi will not make up that 50+whp.

Zpi and turbonetics guys please chime in.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

these are suck stupid threads
Old 01-19-2006, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i would actually like to know the difference myself
Old 01-19-2006, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The majority of it is in tuning. Yes that two PSI will make a difference. For instance at 8 PSI my car makes 380 RWHP at 9 PSI it makes 392 but theres a lot more in tuning. Turbonetics sets their kits up to be EXTREMELY safe out of box and tuned VERY rich at 8 PSI. This is done to ensure you have a good safe tune you can drive on or you can take the car to your local trusted tuner and tune in some more power. The turbo in the Turbonetics kit is capable of 480 HP worth of air but Turbonetics intentionally keeps it at a safe rich tune to make sure you don't lose your motor on the first drive.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by metalranger33
these are suck stupid threads
and that makes no sense what so ever.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't forget the turbonetics dyno still used the full stock exhaust system
Old 01-19-2006, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

True I still dont know what to pick.. I need to get money first... or go back down the sponsorship road again...
Old 01-19-2006, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
That is absolutely correct. The Turbonetics dynos to date have been with a COMPLETELY stock car and BONE STOCK exhaust setup. All of this on 91 pump gas...:D An exhaust system on a boosted car can make HUGE gains over a stock restrictive unit. A lot of factory boosted cars have seen gains as high as 20 WHP just by opening up the exhaust path...:D
Old 01-19-2006, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

I'm a big fan of t3/4 hybrid turbos. But I am curious as to the Greddy kit and its numbers from the 18g mitsu turbo they are using in thier kit.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not sure but did the zpi dyno use 91 or 93 octane? A 93 octane tune can use more agressive ignition timing. It may not be a huge difference in and of itself but all these factors add up.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
That is absolutely correct. The Turbonetics dynos to date have been with a COMPLETELY stock car and BONE STOCK exhaust setup. All of this on 91 pump gas...:D An exhaust system on a boosted car can make HUGE gains over a stock restrictive unit. A lot of factory boosted cars have seen gains as high as 20 WHP just by opening up the exhaust path...:D
The overall potental of the T3/T4 ball bearing turbo alone with the Unichip, downpipe with a cat built in, and the sexy a$$ black chrome pipping should be enough to sway anyones vote. They is alot of power left in this turbo kit.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

not sure but did the zpi dyno use 91 or 93 octane? A 93 octane tune can use more agressive ignition timing. It may not be a huge difference in and of itself but all these factors add up.
Actually on modern cars timing advance makes for HUGE power increases. The difference between a 380 HP car and 410 HP can be found in timing alone. The 91 octance gas Turbonetics used for this dyno was straight from the local Exxon and let me tell you...living in Cali myself, the gas is CRAP. You have to be VERY careful with tuning to make sure the car does not detonate. On 93 octane gas with a little more timing dialed in you could EASILY see another 15-20 WHP if your tuner is good enough.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I miss my Sunoco 94
Old 01-19-2006, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TimmyT
I'm a big fan of t3/4 hybrid turbos. But I am curious as to the Greddy kit and its numbers from the 18g mitsu turbo they are using in thier kit.
One of the draw backs I see to using the 18G turbo is unless something has changed Greddy uses conventional sleeve bearing turbos. Typically the boost threshold time on this turbos is higher then with a ball bearing design. This basically means full boost later and depending on how they have it setup could be less of a linear power delivery. No one likes boost lag and if you have lag AND your tires break loose as soon as it hits its not very effective. I'm not going to say for sure thats what the Greddy kit will do as I have not had the chance to look at it, but I can tell you the Unichip EMS included in the Turbonetics kit is lightyears ahead of the Emanage. With the Emanage you would be required to add your own boost controller, and other aux equipment to do what the Unichip can do out of box. Just some of the things available on the Unichip:

Precise mapping for fuel and timing
Closed loop boost control
Mutlimap storage and switch over via an external switch- what this means is you can program two maps into the Unichip including two boost curves and with the flick of a switch mounted anywhere you want you can change over to a higher boost map and tune all at once.
Provisions for an intercooler sprayer controller that can be activated based on user defined settings
Bluetooth access to the EMS to check real time correction factors, alter them, or upload an entirely new map via your PDA or laptop- whats nice about this is you can have you tuner make a map for cold weather, warm weather, daily boost, race gas boost, drag boost curve, autocross boost curve, road race tuning, etc and store them on your laptop or PDA. You Bluetooth into the EMS, upload your new map and away you go. No trying to dig and find the interface port.
There are many more features that only a tuner would use that are also in the Unichip but suffice to say it far exceeds the Emanage in included options.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Unichip is a fine product, I'm really itching to purchase this kit. Sounds like butter to me, but its that entire carb thing thats holding me back.

Honestly, the carb certification alone on the greddy kit is worth holding off purchasing any turbo kit.

The turbonetics kits is a fine piece of machinery regardless of certification and more so if it does get certified, but Greddy if/when it releases thier kit. It will be 50 state legal.

If you life in california and are into tuning; you know that carb numbers are gold.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

im really considering buy this turbo kit as well but have to save some money since i found out that i am going to owe money for taxes instead of getting money back...oh well
Old 01-19-2006, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

you can have you tuner make a map for cold weather, warm weather, daily boost, race gas boost, drag boost curve, autocross boost curve, road race tuning, etc and store them on your laptop or PDA. You Bluetooth into the EMS, upload your new map and away you go. No trying to dig and find the interface port.
There are many more features that only a tuner would use that are also in the Unichip but suffice to say it far exceeds the Emanage in included options.

How much dyno time is that to program that many maps?
Old 01-19-2006, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bah we dont have 91 here in houston we only have 93
Old 01-19-2006, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TimmyT
Unichip is a fine product, I'm really itching to purchase this kit. Sounds like butter to me, but its that entire carb thing thats holding me back.

Honestly, the carb certification alone on the greddy kit is worth holding off purchasing any turbo kit.

The turbonetics kits is a fine piece of machinery regardless of certification and more so if it does get certified, but Greddy if/when it releases thier kit. It will be 50 state legal.

If you life in california and are into tuning; you know that carb numbers are gold.
Has Greddy said for sure it will be CARB legal. Greddy has only just recently finalized CARB for their 350Z kit although its been out for almost 2 years. They only started the process last November..
Old 01-19-2006, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
you can have you tuner make a map for cold weather, warm weather, daily boost, race gas boost, drag boost curve, autocross boost curve, road race tuning, etc and store them on your laptop or PDA. You Bluetooth into the EMS, upload your new map and away you go. No trying to dig and find the interface port.

How much dyno time is that to program that many maps?
That would be quite a bit of dyno time. Figure 1-2 hour to fine tune your base map. Then maybe on hour of playing with boost response and tune for each map...

Quick Reply: Zpi stage 1 vs turbonetics kit.