Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Bass Boost. Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Bass Boost. Yes or No?

So i've never been a fan of bass boost circuitry. I think it can be too "boomy" and can cause your subs to overpower the rest of the system.

However, just a few days ago, i was listening to some Grateful Dead or Phish (as opposed to sublime or hip hop) and wanted a little more bass, so i fiddled with the bass boost ****. ONly turned it up to about +9 db's, and i was really impressed by the output at my desired boost frequency 45hz.

I think i'm going to retune my amp with the bass boost, but i don't want the subs to distort so i only want to use the smallest amount of bass boost i can.

The gain on the amp is set at about 1/2 (i'm hoping the bass boost will allow me to turn the gain down a bit) running in mono at 1.5 ohms (don't think its stable, but oh well! ).

Just wondering what other people's experience/recommendations would be as far as using bass boost circuitry.

Btw, the amp is an audiobahn Ax200q Hi current digital rack mount style.

Late
Old 05-25-2006, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've never liked bass boosts of any kind.... like you said, it bumps up certain frequencies and I would rather keep the sound flat as possible.... EQ'ing with a RTA on the other hand would be pure bliss... too bad I don't have access to a RTA... so I just run all my EQ frequencies flat and keep boosts and louds off...
Old 05-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Come to the meet in June...RTA will be there

I'm w/ SCI_TC_GUY on this one though...I don't like extra processing. Some music though, a bass boost will actually sound good, like mentioned above...it's just a matter of the music really. I wouldn't set my gains any differently just to be able to use the bass boost though.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by mandos
Come to the meet in June...RTA will be there

I'm w/ SCI_TC_GUY on this one though...I don't like extra processing. Some music though, a bass boost will actually sound good, like mentioned above...it's just a matter of the music really. I wouldn't set my gains any differently just to be able to use the bass boost though.
yeah, this is my feeling too. With some music (especially older recorded classic rock albums and such) i'm gonna use a little bass boost, but with modern recording levels and hip hop etc... i really don't need it. Maybe just a couple db's.

When i drive around with my rear seat down i have access to my amp, so i can adjust the bass boost, but when i drive with the seat up, ie. when my daughter's back there, i'll just leave the bass boost set low and adjust the subwoofer level from my HU if need be.

Just wanted some other audiophile opinions on bass boost. That has always been my feeling too, and my other car audio buddy agrees as well.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 3 way crossover has bass boost circuitry and came with a remote pot(****). Its mounted near my shifter. I find I adjust it for just about every song. It's nice to be able to control exactly how the subs hit, most recording engineers don't have the same taste as I do so thumbs up to bass boost. Nice to be able to up the bass after the signal is processed by the crossover, because when you turn up the bass on the head unit to get to where you want to be your mids will be bottoming out. In the past I would have to turn down the gain on my highs and mids to up the bass. I always mount my crossovers where I can reach them while driving for fine tuning.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I need help... My stock stereo is hooked up to my 2 10" JBL subs with 1200wat amp. all installed by cartoys. When am sitting it sounds fine and when i start moving the bass gets a lot louder and doesnt sound too good. but if am sitting and hit the gas in park or neutral the bass doesnt change so i thought it might be a power problem but am not sure now. I need help on what is going on. Does Scion stock stereo have a road noise inside the stereo or is it the battery, alternator, not enough power or what???? Someone help....
Old 09-09-2006, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yet you're a busy bee being here too... lol, anyways bass bost works well if used right.