Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help, please; HID "noise" coming through amp'd spe

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:55 AM

Default Help, please; HID "noise" coming through amp'd spe

Ok, currently I have a Kenwood 2 channel amp (built in fan) powering my polk components. The amp is grounded under the seat using the bolt already there

The problem is when I go to turn on my HID's. When the HID's are fully "light", there is a crackling noise coming through my front speakers; the amp'd components. What's going on??

Right now I have the power for my amps, and the power for my HID's, running off/from the battery. The HIDs are grounded at the battery, and the amps (also have an amp for my sub) are grounded under my back seat. Do I need to ground my HID's elsewhere?? Or do I need it all on one ground point?? Please help...

I really dont want to get rid of my HID's or either my amps; wanting to keep both.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like you have a ground loop somewhere. Have you tried moving either ground yet? Not sure if it'll help, but would be worth a try if it isn't too difficult to try another point.

Or you could look into a Ground Loop Isolator.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:36 AM

I guess you guys can delete this thread; believe I found something in another thread kinda related to my problem, and hopefully a solution. Sorry for the post; I swear I tried searching first lol. Guess it comes up after I post something

...found thsis thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ight=hid+noise

^^^thanks for the response though ack154
Old 07-28-2009, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ When I click that link, I get this;

nodsetse, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
WTH? :?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont know if you resolved your issue bc i cant get that link to wrk either.

but you shouldn't have any added grounds to your battery except maybe a grounding kit. ground the hid's to the chasis.

also, the seat bolt ground is not a great ground. you need to make your own. sometimes the metal in the bolt isnt highly conductive and could lead to a ground loop. also failing to scrap off the paint from your ground point could add to your problems.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:45 AM

^^^Thanks for the reply, man.

I took your advice and re-grounded the ground for the HID's to the chassis. It elliminated it about 90% And yes, the amp has a good ground now. With a better shield for my RCA cords (getting in tomorrow in the mail

It's funny because the seller on clubsciontc said to ground it to the battery. Then I look at the seller on this site to ground to the chassis. I was just confused on the right way to do it, and to elliminate the noise.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!