Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help on plexiglass for amp Rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Help on plexiglass for amp Rack

Alright guys i've been looking online for the week and found nothing helpful. I plan on doing this myself. I have a 12'' sub that will be going on the next to the spare tire RMS 450 Watts 900 in a custom box out of MDF 3/4. Now i have 2 amps that i need to place somewhere but plan to have them in Plexiglass depending on design with/without fans. I plan on making the bottom of the rack out of 3/4 MDF and place plexi on top.

Question is What is the correct THICKNESS to have for the PLEXIGLASS? now i dont want it to crack or break onto the amps if need to place items on top of them.

Using XA1000 and EA4000 eclipse amps so they arent so big.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Shorty, I'm kind of planning on doing the same thing. I just got a 2 & 4 channel kenwood amps and I plan on making a amp rack in that right storage area in hatch to hold the 4 channel and cap. Right now I have my 2 channel amp on top of the spare tire. I just removed that black foam and it fits pretty good. I want to build box out of MDF and then have cut outs windows made of Plexigass to show off the two amps and cap.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yea i've been planning how to install and setup the back to where i use the littlest space that's in the back. and keeping the spare incase of a road trip all i Need is help on the thickness to start the install..

i'll post pics after im done maybe to give you an idea.

Guys can anyone help me out here!
Old 03-27-2006, 12:22 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

How big of an opening are you going to have? Like solid sheet w/o support under it?
Old 03-27-2006, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey Mandos Thanks by the way for the walk through of gutting a tC it helped alot! When i installed my audio it came in handy Really Well.

Well What i plan on doing is installing a custom box next to the spare like others have done to use lil space as possible and then for my 2 amps place them on top of the spare making a amp rack out of 3/4 or 1/2 MDF and the top cover out of plexiglass with vents depending on design (any ideas) to show the amps with leds lighting......But installing 2 hinges on the plexiglass to be able to lift up the entire amp rack IF needed to change a tire.

So therefore theres my big problem dont want to use little or to thick plexiglass incase i place items on top of the amps and dont want it to break or vibrate using the 12'' sub.

CAN ANYONE HELP?
Old 03-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

So the cover would be the size of the 2 amps? Like 15x20" or so?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Okay well between both amps the area is about 22" X 14" leaving a little space for the connections. Now the only thing is the thickness of the plexiglass? (the plexiglass is only the face cover for the amps not the other part of the whole cover for the tire. )

Also what is also the thickness for MDF recommend for the rack?
Old 03-28-2006, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1/8" is a good thickness for Acrylic (Plexiglass), Polycarbonate (Lexan) would be better in terms of strength but it comes at a premium.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I like to just stick w/ 3/4 for the MDF and 3/4 for the acrylic.

You can pick it up at mcmaster.com...for not too expensive. Like $50 for a sheet that would work for you.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i have 1/4 inch on mine an covers my 3 amps-- but I dont put anything on it cause I dont want it scratched-- I put my car in shows-- I have 2-3 more HINS to put my car in then I am changing up my system--

Old 04-04-2006, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Everything you ever wanted to know about plexiglass.....
Ok, hi everybody wondering. I was in the same situation you were in about four months ago. First thing that I have to make clear is that you have to know what you want FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, now there are about a million different kinds of plexiglass.....

Plexiglass is one of them.
Lexan is another.

Plexiglass is a generic term.

If your looking for price, SOME of them are SUPER expensive, but others are fairly inexpensive. Some are temprature sensative, while others aren't. Some are chemical or scratch resistant, others...not so much. Some can be colored, etched, sandblasted, sanded, painted, and so on.

Ok, best thing I can say, is to look around. I was looking for a four foot by eight foot sheet of one quarter inch clear polyvinylchloride. It was a little expensive for my tastes. Really expensive.

Just so you know......I ended up going out, and buying a sheet of plexiglass....the cheap lexan stuff you can find at home depot, and to keep it from getting scratched, I used glass regular sheet glass right on top of it. it's been about three months now, and no problems. Hope this helps. Good luck.