Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

My rant for the year - Service Dept.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:58 PM

Default My rant for the year - Service Dept.

I'm usually a quiet person, but this got me a little riled up the other day.

Long story short my XM radio has been going in and out constantly for some 5-10 second spans. Now I dealt with it for a while because hey I never had satellite radio and thought it was awesome just getting music without any commercials. Just recently though my friend tells me that there is something wrong and should get it checked because I shouldn't be getting this many outages with XM radio.

Soooo I go to the service dept, wait there for 3 hours only for them to tell me there is nothing wrong with the radio??? They drove it up and down the street with no interruptions. Of course I knew better and decided to do a little research on this forum. I found out from here that your antenna works much better outside than it does on the inside. Now you think the service dept. would mention this, lol.

I finally decide to take matters into my own hands and take apart the console and dash to find the extra 20ft of antenna wire so neatly tucked away behind my radio. I then snake it to the back quarter panel of my car and PRESTO! No more outages what so ever.

Well that's my little rant about service dept.'s. Not a huge deal, but you would think they have some knowledge about antennas and where they should be placed.

For now on I get all my advice here in this forum and nowhere else.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did the same with my Sirius antenna. I've never had any interruptions either with
the antenna outside. Mine is near the outside antenna for the HU. Where did you put yours?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The shop that put my XM in, put the receiver under the dash too, lazy _____es. Now I get cut outs all the damn time.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really hope that wasn't a factory installed XM and that was the dealership you went to because here's the official install procedure all factory-installed xm units for the tC are supposed to be installed by: http://trdsparks.com/install/PT546-21050inst.pdf

clearly shows the antenna on the right rear exterior panel right next to the FM Antenna......