Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Nav system recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Nav system recommendations?

Since I'm not even certain what is out there as a possible brand, let alone model, I thought I'd ask you all if you have any recommendations for a nav system for the car?

Requirements are that I must be able to close my radio cover, it must fill the entire area when removing the current radio (ie: no single deck since I believe stock is double deck, but that shouldn't be an issue with a nav system anyways), sound quality doesn't get worse on my stock speakers (no sub or amp either and the way my system sounds now, I don't feel I need them either), be able to play MP3 CDs and have iPod control; specifically with the steering wheel controls and even display what song is playing on the screen. (Basically, the iPod control should be like it is if I had the stock radio with iPod controls... if that makes sense).

I'm not really looking to get one within a certain price range, I'm more concerned with features (and of course, looking somewhat decent at the same time). I'm very much not concerned with dvd playing capabilities, since I have no need for it (no passengers except on rare occasions and driving while watching is a big no-no, plus commute is very very short).

I'm also a novice when it comes to installing things, so more than likely, I'd be going to a shop to get it done, instead of trying to do it myself. I have looked at possibly getting the Scion Nav system, but I'm not terribly fond of their pushing of the color blue with it, much as blue actually is my fave color (especially since I have the stock dash lights and got the cupholder/footwell illuminations in the same amber).

I can't think of anything else that might help you guys give recs, but feel free to ask further questions

Also, I'm back to lurking again, maybe, kinda sorta
Old 10-06-2007, 11:56 PM
SL Member

I guess crutchfield would let you check some out, most of them do the ipod with an add on cable, all will sound descent, most all have mp3. most accepts the another add on stering wheel PAC converter so you keep the controlls.
I have the alpine mostly becouse I realllly wanted HD radio, and no one else had it avl, or instock, my 2nd choice would have been kenwood.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Seven City Scions
SL Member

i like the pioneer AVIC-D3 personally.......here is a link if you want to look at it
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...264980,00.html
Old 10-07-2007, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you need to use the search button. In my opin, the one on top doesnt work well, but if you hit the red search button, and type in scion tc navigation---- you will get pages on pages of info on them...and every question your going to ask...good luck buying one... i think there for ballers :-p
Old 10-07-2007, 02:06 AM
SL Member

this has been talkked about a lot a search would definitly help but it sounds like you would do well to get an eclipse hu. I have the eclipse avn5510 and I love it. The steering wheel controls are plug and play and sound quality is great. Also It can do everything else you want it to do. Picture is great on dvds Ipod control is awesome.