Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Parking lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 02:57 AM

Thumbs down Parking lights not working

I have an 05 TC. My parking lights all of a sudden just stopped working. I have already checked the fuse. It's fine. However, they do flash when I arm / disarm my Code Alarm. I was thinking it may possibly be a relay. Any ideas???
Old 08-30-2011, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what do you mean by parking lights? the rear lights? the front "in-house" parking bulbs? or... when u press on the brake? more details plz.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:44 PM

None of the outer parking lights. When you place the light switch in the first selection. The front or back do not work. All other lights work. Tail lights are OEM. Headlights are dual halo projectors. The parking lights worked even after these were installed. They just randomly stopped working. If this isn't enough info, e-mail me at b.boland51@gmail.com
Old 08-30-2011, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You said you checked the fuses, I only see one fuse located in the lower kicker panel on driver side, 10amp fuse label "TAIL". check that one if you haven't. if you haven't touched your rear tail lights and they are OEM... check the bulbs too after you check that fuse.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you check fuse and bulbs and they are fine, check if there is current flowing through to positive terminal on the tail light sockets using a voltmeter or just a simple electric current checker tool. if there is no current, u know its gonna be somewhere in the wiring or your first guess, the relay.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:55 PM
SL Member

I know this might not be of help but I have had an older car that did the same exact thing and I took the cover off the light and flicked the bulb and amazingly all the lights started working again and has never gone back out! LOL...... true story cut short this car was a 94 and after time cars develop shorts in the electrical system that can't be avoided and are often expensive to fix. Try what I did and if that don't work then go buy a new bulb (very cheap) and test it in one of the lights and see what happens. It could be possible that all the bulbs just burnt out at around nearly the same time and you just never took notice until all the bulbs where out.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:08 PM

Bulbs are fine. They flash when I arm / disarm the alarm.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 PM
SL Member

Could be a bad ground, sliced wire, or what I'm thinking is a faulty switch which (lol say that 10x fast) is common on all cars that sit outside and just happens eventually. Not an expensive fix..... I think, but you said your lights work when you lock the doors so that could be the only thing left..... a faulty switch. Let us know what happens.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:31 PM

Talking

Will do. At least I have enough purple LED's / neons on and under the car to make it visible. I'll just have some fun and see how many hicks think I'm some kind of alien. If my car makes the evening news, I'll surely post it..... >
Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 PM
SL Member

Do you run HID's by any chance cause if you do then I know for a fact it's your switch starting to go..... slowly.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@Ometta - I've been running a cheap HID PnP kit for 2 years now, my switch has been fine... now I run that same kit + a new HID kit, no relay harnesses... all lights been fine even after 7-8 hour drives.. lol
Old 08-30-2011, 09:58 PM
SL Member

Yeah but he may use his lights more often than us. I run HID's as well but I know the risks that are involved with running them. When you run HID's your putting twice the strain on your relay switch. If you don't believe me then google it. I was checking on prices for the part and it's a little over a hundred dollars. If I where you I wouldn't worry about it yet and I may not be correct but it does sound like your relay switch is starting to go. I'm no mechanic by any means but I'm almost positive it's your relay switch.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:04 AM

Xenon bulbs. No HID's as of yet. Thanks for the heads up. I will just put my headlights on a heavy duty toggle. Unless someone has another suggestion that would work better.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Technically, when you are using a PNP HID kit, most people usually run 35w bulbs, which burns at lower wattage than our OEMs (55w low beams). The stock wiring is 12gauge (or 14 i forget) . When you fire up the hid kits, the voltage may be higher to ignite, but once it's been burned, the wattage will remain at or near 35w. So really, the strain is for such a small amount of time, it would take lots of flickering on / off to really mess up ur switches and relays (don't forget there are fuses in place to break the load for safety too prior to hitting the stock 4-pin relay.)
Old 09-01-2011, 12:25 PM
SL Member

You are right but it could of been a possibility if he was running HID's.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by redlinematrix
Bulbs are fine. They flash when I arm / disarm the alarm.
They are dual filament bulbs. When you hit the lock button or hit the brakes, the bright filaments come on, you could have some how got a crazy surge and popped the low light filaments, remove the bulbs and look at them under a light
Old 09-01-2011, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

At least the tails are dials, I'm not sure about the fronts, I don't have my 05 anymore.