Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

problem with my cap...

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Default problem with my cap...

so I uninstalled my stereo a while ago. I decided to put it back in tonight. Rerouted everything tonight just like it was before. Hooked up the amp and ran it to the sub. I have a one farad cap I use, simply because the lights flicker otherwise.

I ran the battery power into the cap. I ran a negative from cap to chassis(solid seat belt bolt connection that I used previously). I then ran a power from cap to amp, as well as negative from cap to amp.

Cap doesn't turn on. I then lock and unlock the doors and the cap lights up flashing 0's eventually turning off. I tried running the resistor light to positive negative until the light turned out, but it simply drained the cap as opposed to charging it.

So right now, the amp powers on, but the cap does not.

Why does this happen, and what can I do to fix the problem. I've installed about 6 of these things and have never had this problem before. The cap WAS drained after I took the system out a few months ago.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did u charge the cap 1st? I know my on my tsunami you have to go thru a charging procedure when you first install it or it wont do anything.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: problem with my cap...

Originally Posted by ih8civx
Cap doesn't turn on.
Please help me understand this. What kind of cap do you have? I've never used one that turns on or off, they're either charged or not, and always 'on'. Do you have a multimeter to check the cap's charge voltage?
Old 02-29-2008, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Default Re: problem with my cap...

Originally Posted by nodsetse
Originally Posted by ih8civx
Cap doesn't turn on.
Please help me understand this. What kind of cap do you have? I've never used one that turns on or off, they're either charged or not, and always 'on'. Do you have a multimeter to check the cap's charge voltage?
cap is charged.. but does not hold the charge and shuts down after only a few miuntes.

I fried a resistor.. problem has been resolved.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, but I'd still like to know what kind of cap you have. That might help me understand what the issue was, such that I could resolve it if I ever encounter it with that type of cap. Your explanation of the solution has me baffled too, as once I charge a cap there aren't any resistors to worry about, but your cap must be different. Got a link, or would you just state the brand/model? Thx!
Old 03-01-2008, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by nodsetse
Ok, but I'd still like to know what kind of cap you have. That might help me understand what the issue was, such that I could resolve it if I ever encounter it with that type of cap. Your explanation of the solution has me baffled too, as once I charge a cap there aren't any resistors to worry about, but your cap must be different. Got a link, or would you just state the brand/model? Thx!
rockford fosgate digital cap... the resistor you use to charge a cap, well it was bad. Once I used a new resisotor, it then charged and held the charge.