Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Replacing Battery Terminals / Extended Battery Cables

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Replacing Battery Terminals / Extended Battery Cables

I have a 05 tC and it looks like it is time to replace the battery terminals. I have started to sometimes hear the 'click' after trying to start the car and it won't start.

I have not done this before and have been reading up on this a little bit. Would appreciate any feedback. I am thinking of extended the cables also while i am at it (solder).

I have bought 4 guage cables from KnuKonceptz along with the battery terminals. I think I will have the length of each to be about 1 feet. Is that going to be an issue ?

Negative cable seems easy to work on.

There seem to be two cables connected to the positive terminal of the battery. I would assume that I should just connect them both individually to the positive terminal instead of soldering them both together and then connecting to the terminal ? Where are they going to ?
Old 06-02-2014, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by icestorm
I have a 05 tC and it looks like it is time to replace the battery terminals. I have started to sometimes hear the 'click' after trying to start the car and it won't start.

I have not done this before and have been reading up on this a little bit. Would appreciate any feedback. I am thinking of extended the cables also while i am at it (solder).

I have bought 4 guage cables from KnuKonceptz along with the battery terminals. I think I will have the length of each to be about 1 feet. Is that going to be an issue ?

Negative cable seems easy to work on.

There seem to be two cables connected to the positive terminal of the battery. I would assume that I should just connect them both individually to the positive terminal instead of soldering them both together and then connecting to the terminal ? Where are they going to ?
couple of answers for you..
1- have you had a load test on the battery? A bad battery could definitely cause the "clicking" you're describing.

2- Extending the cables, in electrical work, always make sure that the power and ground are the same gauge. Extending a ground usually isn't that good of an idea. Electricity likes to get to ground as quick as possible.

3- The two wires coming off the positive, if you follow them, one of them goes to the starter, the other the fuse box/alternator connections.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my battery seemed fine.

so i ended up extending both the cables and also changed the battery terminals. i used guage 4 cable for both the +ve/-ve which seemed to be thick enough. there were two cables coming out for both the positive and ground. i soldered the cables and then covered them with heat shrink/conduit.

has been almost a month now and i am happy with the results.