Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

SCION tC TRUNK SHOCK PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:17 AM

Default SCION tC TRUNK SHOCK PROBLEM

If any body would please help me where i can get the tunk shocks that hold up the trunk mine blew out and the trunk is very heavy. and if you know where to get the shock let me know how easy it is so i can change them myself thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

trdsparks.com

and yes u can swap them out yourself but will need a buddy or two.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:37 AM

how are they stronger? i found sum @ the dealer for like 130 each
Old 07-01-2008, 02:46 AM

thanks so much whata bout the bracket if i jack mine up wen im swapping them out ???????
Old 07-01-2008, 02:48 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

what bracket?
Old 07-01-2008, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there are stronger ones that were designed for hatches with the pedistal spoiler...correct me if I am wrong. Ok, bye bye
Old 07-01-2008, 03:06 AM

a little bracket that attaches to the strut. the dealer gave me part number 68945-21040 or 68946-21040they said i have to be carefull taking the strut off so i wouldnt break that bracket
Old 07-01-2008, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone have the part number to the little clips that hold in the shock?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 PM

its been a while that i switch those out and no problems with them either. took me like two seconds each to swap them out thanks for ur help
Old 02-19-2014, 01:25 AM

Not to revive an old thread, but is there any way to repair an existing liftgate lift support on trunk hatch? I don't want to buy a new one so just looking for a good way to repair ones that might only be holding the trunk half way up. Any thoughts?
Old 02-20-2014, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sitedesigner
Not to revive an old thread, but is there any way to repair an existing liftgate lift support on trunk hatch? I don't want to buy a new one so just looking for a good way to repair ones that might only be holding the trunk half way up. Any thoughts?
Do you have a pedestal spoiler? What do you mean by halfway? It is stuck at halfway when pulling up or does the trunk sink to the halfway point when you try and put it up? Unless you know what you're doing and know the mechanics of how a strut works, I would buy a new pair. You might be able to source a few from ebay or the junk yards if you're tight on cash.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:20 PM

1) I don't have a spoiler
2) When I open my trunk, it opens about 3/4 of the way and then stops.
3) It does not fall back down, kind of stalls there.
4) I keep hitting my head on it because I'm just taller than the height and it's extremely funny yet frustrating.

Help? Replace them or get them repaired?
Old 02-20-2014, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's odd. well, if u can imagine, the strut just holds air. The strut has two parts, the top and bottom. The top mechanism has a "tight" seal at the bottom where it goes into the second part, the tube. When the mechanism goes up, the air inside the tube is pretty neutral and keeps the trunk in that "up" position. When the mechanism pushes down and compresses the air (closing the strut), the air "pushes" back up; this makes it easier to open or keep up the trunk. Well, it's a little more than that but you get the idea.

Now, I'm saying it's odd because usually struts fail because the tube fails to hold air anymore. You're saying it stops at a certain point when it's going up. most likely, something's keeping the mechanism from going up all the way in the tube. Also, check the top area where the trunk meets the roof and make sure nothing is getting stuck there.

when you've got some time, check out the strut (before removing them) and see if you think you'll be able to take it apart. if you think you can, hopefully you've got an idea of what to look for. if not, they've also got aftermarket struts that do a pretty good job (don't buy cheap brands that won't hold up the trunk), in addition to OEM struts or ones you can find on ebay/craigslist/junkyard.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sitedesigner
1) I don't have a spoiler
2) When I open my trunk, it opens about 3/4 of the way and then stops.
3) It does not fall back down, kind of stalls there.
4) I keep hitting my head on it because I'm just taller than the height and it's extremely funny yet frustrating.

Help? Replace them or get them repaired?
There really isn't a way of repairing those struts, well there is, but it's way too expensive! Better you just buy some new ones.

Mine is going about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up, have to help gently push it all the way up so I don't hit my head either! The cold is definitely causing the struts not to push the hatch all the way up. But after this long having the original hatch struts, I'm not surprised they're getting "tired".

I know Strong Arm, aftermarket brand makes some really good ones, had them on an older car, very strong, and not a bad price.

The other option are the TRD brand struts, don't waste your money on the Toyota original ones, they're like $130 each! no joke, I laughed on the floor when I found that out! The strong arm ones are like $15-20 each, I think Oreilly's has them..