Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Scratched Silver Interior Trim; What To Do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 04:09 AM
5 Year Member

Default Scratched Silver Interior Trim; What To Do?

Hi, all. First post.

My tC's about a week old, and today I got the OBX shift **** and sport pedals installed (they were part of the original purchase, just waiting on the parts). While moving the new shifter around I noticed a small (super-small, really) scratch on the forward face of the silver shift boot border. It wasn't there before. It's about a quarter of an inch long, and isn't really noticeable, but I hate the fact that I did notice it. I guess it's like noticing that first big scratch on your iPod. It just tears you up.

I'm trying to think what to do: (1) show it to the installers and ask if they can get a replacement, (2) try to fix it myself, but I haven't a clue on how to do it, or (3) just live with it.

I've been in need of a good hobby for the last few years, and I hope I've found one in keeping my new car super clean, waxed, and detailed. I'm especially confident and hopeful because of all the product and technique advice I've found on this forum and on Autopia. But this scratch is just eating me alive.

Is this scratch really worth doing something about, or is my OCD just rearing its ugly head? Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 04-12-2006, 04:28 AM
5 Year Member

check on ebay and see if you can buy a replacement for cheap cheap and install it yourself. i'm pretty sure theres no other way, i don't think it can be fixed. you get props for wanting your ride extra clean
Old 04-12-2006, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

buy a carbon fiber or stainless steel dash overlay kit on ebay. i scratched my cd player door when i parked my car on the way home from the dealer the first day i got it. i had my keys in my hand and i pushed the door closed, but my keys gouged it good. made me really mad.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member

Default Found A Solution

All,

Thanks for the advice. I talked to the installer, and he told me they've got a guy who can "repair" it, i.e. sand it down and repaint it, but he's by appointment only. I think they just want me to forget about it. So I talked to the parts department, and he's getting me a new shift plate (the silver frame) for $12.00 tomorrow. Not too bad! I guess that's the price of a scratch in peace of mind.

I lifted up one corner of the shift plate, and it looks pretty easy. Am I correct in thinking that all I have to do is squeeze in and lift up? There's just tabs holding the plate to the black center console.

Thanks again, y'all!
Old 04-13-2006, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member

don't think so, you may have to unscrew your shifter **** and pop the center part out, be sure to disconnect the cigarette lighter or you'll pull it out completely. check the tech section to find out.