Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

THE tC iPod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default THE tC iPod Thread

There are a few options for tC owners to connect an iPod. They of course vary by year. The 2005 models have no built in iPod capability. The 2006 models have an AUX input already installed into the center console armrest and there is an iPod upgrade option that will get you a new iPod ready headunit as well as a second jack installed in the armrest specifically for the iPod. I'll split this into the two years and give you your options...

2005 Model Year

The 2005 tCs weren't really ready for an iPod from the factory. However, there were a few options almost immediately out of the gate.

Option 1: Controlling the iPod with the OEM Head Unit

--> iPod2Car Adapter from Peripheral ~ $200
--> ice-Link Plus from Dension ~ $200
--> Neo iOn Adapter ~ $190
--> USASpec PA11-TOY Adapter ~ $115

This adapter should connect into the factory radio (CD changer port) and allow you to control the iPod directly with the head unit (though some controls may be limited depending on the device). It also charges the iPod via the dock connector. It's a bit pricey, but seems to have convenience going for it. You could run the cable to the glovebox or some out-of-the-way location and not worry about it.

Compatibility - All iPods with the "Dock Connector" - ie. pretty much anything but the iPod Shuffle.

Pros: Controls the iPod from the head unit. Charges the iPod.
Cons: Expensive. Doesn't work with iPod shuffle. Possible control/display limitations.

Option 2: The AUX Input Method

--> PIE TOY03-AUX Adapter ~ $70
--> USASpec DF-TOY Adapater ~ $60

Both of these adapters work in the same manner. They plug into the CD Changer port of the factory radio and convert the signal to a set of RCA jacks. It typically consists of small box mounted somewhere behind the radio with a cable running to where ever your iPod will sit. The cable will be something like this (sold separately - available at Radio Shack/Walmart/etc) that plugs into the headphone port on the iPod.

Compatibility - All. Also works with any other audio device/MP3 player with a headphone jack.

Pros: Inexpensive. Works with any device with a headphone jack.
Cons: Still have to control audio from the device. Separate cable necessary and not included.

Option 3: Controlling the iPod with an Aftermarket Head Unit

--> Pioneer Car Deck Interface Adapter ~ $120
--> Alpine iPod Full Speed ~ $30 (cable only)

Many after market companies now offer an iPod interface/connection similar to the iPod2Car adapter. These aftermarket adapters only work with their respective company headunits, but are fairly inexpensive if you already own the receiver.

Compatibility - All iPods with the "Dock Connector" - ie. pretty much anything but the iPod Shuffle.

Pros: Controls the iPod from the head unit. Charges the iPod. Offers better sound quality output. Reason to upgrade radio if desired.
Cons: Requires aftermarket headunit. Could be more or less expensive than other options depending on if you already own the headunit or not.

2006 Model Year

Luckily Scion wised up quick and got the 2006 models ready for iPod/MP3 in a hurry.

Option 1: Controlling the iPod with the OEM Head Unit

--> Factory iPod Upgrade ~ $260
--> iPod Cable Part Number ~ PT546-21061

This might be the easiest option out there. You can order your 2006 tC with the iPod option and they'll install a different head unit, a second jack in the center console armrest, and a cable to plug into the dock connector of your iPod.

Pros: Controls the iPod from the head unit. Charges the iPod. Factory installed option.
Cons: Expensive. Doesn't work with iPod shuffle. Can only be installed at the port (no adding it to your non iPod tC).

Option 2: The AUX Input Method

--> 1/8" Minijack Stereo to Stereo Cable ~ $5-$10

All 2006 models already have an AUX input in the center armrest with no upgrade necessary. This is also very easy as you don't have to buy an extra adapter (but will need a cable to connect the iPod. You'll still have to control the iPod from the device itself, but it's not bad if you weren't able to order a tC with the iPod option.

Compatibility - All. Also works with any other audio device/MP3 player with a headphone jack.

Pros: Inexpensive. Works with any device with a headphone jack. Default option for 2006.
Cons: Still have to control audio from the device. Separate cable necessary and not included (though inexpensive at Walmart or Radio Shack).

Other Options / Accessories

SiK imp
** $30
** Connects to the iPod dock connector and provides a line out signal (better quality than headphone port) and 12v power plug for charging.

Griffin iTrip
** $50
** FM transmitter if you choose not to use any of the options above. Lower sound quality, but will broadcast to any selected radio station and receivable on any FM device.

iPod Video A/V Cable
** $20
** Video output for those of you with in-dash video head units and an iPod video.

Helpful Links

--> Original iPod / Scion FAQ Thread
--> PIE TOY03 AUX Install DIY
--> iPod2Car Install DIY
--> USASpec PA11-TOY Adapter Install DIY
Old 02-08-2006, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure yet if I'm going to keep this here or not... Might move to Tech/FAQ or something.

Also see this thread in the FAQ section now for little details.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ght=scion+ipod

Opinions requested.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for 2005MY vehicles there should be a 3rd option:

** snip for first post **

i bring this up because this was the rout i chose. i really didnt like the factory radio in terms of its layout, buttons, and quality of sound output. if i'm going to spend a good deal of money (200$ or more) to listen to my ipod, it had better be on a good deck that i like. if financially possible, i think this is the best solutions for 2005MY owners.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very nice! Thanks, I'll throw it in!

If we find other aftermarket things, we can just add them as subitems of this (another --> item).
Old 02-08-2006, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also added some other options/accessories/info.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Added Alpine info...
Old 02-12-2006, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ack154:

I have the standard 2005 head (single CD unit). You've stated above that the iPod2Car Adapter from Peripheral will allow you to control the iPod directly with the head unit.

Can you see and scroll through all the playlist names, and the song titles, on the head unit?

I'd like to be able to put my iPod in the center console and basically forget about it and access all the playlists from the head unit. Will this adapter allow me to do it?

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm honestly not sure. I'm going by what they say. I'm not totally sure how it operates as I haven't had one or used one. I would imagine maybe SOMEONE on here has one.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, the ipod2car unit will not allow you to see text, etc... on the HU display.

When you're using the ipod2car unit, it essentially acts like a multi-disc CD changer.

With the ipod2car unit, all you can do is advance the song to the next or previous and may be able to fast forward and rewind...not sure.

I for one have it and love it.

I've actually setup a tech tutorial w/ pics: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90300

Check that out. Also, search around on eBay for it. The one I bought was $95 w/ s&h I believe...it doesn't say 'Peripheral' on it but it's the same thing.

Here's a link to the same guys current eBay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/IPOD-CAR-INTERFA...QQcmdZViewItem

He includes the one harness required and may include the second if you ask. I found the second harness on Crutchfield for $6 after a coupon I had and shipping was reasonable.

Definitely the way I would go...
Old 02-14-2006, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Didn't notice your DIY, added it to the first post. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2006, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that reminds me, something to add to the Pros of the pioneer unit, it DOES display name, artist, etc, on the cd deck screen.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I just recently installed the USA Spec PA11-TOY Aux. Adapter. I did a DIY also. Lots of pics.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...439&highlight=

It will charge the iPod for a hour after the car is turned off. Turn car on, and iPod starts playing immediately. Built-in CD Changers should not be affected. External disc changers, however, will not work. (Aux. Adapter and External disc changers use the same plug on back of HU.) It doesn't support artist and song title info. (No biggie) Also, my SIRIUS Sat. Radio never sounded better. Just another option I wanted to present to the peeps here at ScionLife.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I didn't see this apecified. My tC has the factory upgrade with the indash cd changer. Is it the same conection as for the single cd HU?
Old 02-18-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hyghgynx: I added that and the link to your DIY... Thanks!

Scionara: Yes, as far as I know, they should be just like the other 05 HUs.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member

i just have a quick question i just ordered my car and it has the ipod cd player already in it. i was wondering where does the ipod go. does it hide in the middle dash or is it out in the open. cause im getting a video ipod it would be cool if it was out in the open ^^
Old 02-19-2006, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The plug is in the armrest in the center console. If you wanted to, I'm sure you could probably run the cable out into the open, but if you have the actual iPod upgrade, all of the controls are in the HU and you don't need to do anything with the iPod - video or not.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ack154
The plug is in the armrest in the center console. If you wanted to, I'm sure you could probably run the cable out into the open, but if you have the actual iPod upgrade, all of the controls are in the HU and you don't need to do anything with the iPod - video or not.
oh ok thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ^^
Old 02-20-2006, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well, i went with the ipod2car set up and love it. great sound, the controls are fine for how i listen to my music (shuffle and FFW/RWD). Would recommend it.

The newer kit comes with everything you need, even a 3-way mounting bracket. Compared to upgrading to the 06 HU, the $200 tag was nothing.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member

yeah i just installed the avn5435 on my 06 tc and now my ipod doesnt work do i need an adapter or did the shop who installed it was just lazy or didnt know how to do it
Old 02-21-2006, 11:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the head unit supports it, often an aftermarket one will require a separate cable. It might not work through the OEM plug. I'm not sure on that though.

Quick Reply: THE tC iPod Thread