Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

THE tC iPod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Jo2
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: THE tC iPod Thread

Originally Posted by ack154
2005 Model Year

The 2005 tCs weren't really ready for an iPod from the factory. However, there were a few options almost immediately out of the gate.

Option 1: Controlling the iPod with the OEM Head Unit

--> iPod2Car Adapter from Peripheral ~ $200
--> ice-Link Plus from Dension ~ $200
--> Neo iOn Adapter ~ $190
--> USASpec PA11-TOY Adapter ~ $115

This adapter should connect into the factory radio (CD changer port) and allow you to control the iPod directly with the head unit (though some controls may be limited depending on the device). It also charges the iPod via the dock connector. It's a bit pricey, but seems to have convenience going for it. You could run the cable to the glovebox or some out-of-the-way location and not worry about it.

Compatibility - All iPods with the "Dock Connector" - ie. pretty much anything but the iPod Shuffle.

Pros: Controls the iPod from the head unit. Charges the iPod.
Cons: Expensive. Doesn't work with iPod shuffle. Possible control/display limitations.

My little brother has a 2005 TC, and I wanted to purchase one of these for him for a bday present. He has the stock 6 disc in dash headunit, as well as the factory sirius addition, so basically all factory. Will these three hardwired options all still work with that headunit and allow the use of sirius also?? Any brand good to go with over the other? My local stereo shop has the USASpec PA11 in stock.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

If you use the Peripheral one, you'd have to give up the 6-disc. It plugs directly into the back of the HU where the 6-disc is plugged in. Honestly, it's worth it, since you can fit a lot more than 6 discs on an iPod. Can't answer your question about the Sirius, it should work.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Jo2
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
If you use the Peripheral one, you'd have to give up the 6-disc. It plugs directly into the back of the HU where the 6-disc is plugged in. Honestly, it's worth it, since you can fit a lot more than 6 discs on an iPod. Can't answer your question about the Sirius, it should work.
His 6 disc is in the actual headunit, he doesn't have an additional 6 disc in the glove compartment or trunk or anything, so he won't lose that functionality. Looking at the site for USASpec it says

"2. Compatible with factory Navigation, In-dash 6 CD Changer Radio, External CD Changer, and will also Retain factory Satellite Radio."

yet they also sell this item:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1210

"Product Description: USASpec CAS-SAT harness is exclusive to the installation of USASpec PA15-TOY and PA20-TOY in Toyota/Lexus vehicles equipped with factory XM. The CAS-SAT has (2) 10-pin connector: one end connects directly to the factory XM tuner, the other connects to the factory XM Tuner plug. The blue wire connects to the PA15-TOY or PA20-TOY XM port. "

I'm wondering if I have to order the CAS-SAT cable also, even though the USASpec claims to be compatible with factory satellite. Even more curios...will it work since he's running Sirius and not XM? Guess I won't know for sure until I get back there and start ripping everything out and seeing whats connected to what, unless someone here has done it already.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Just take it apart and see what is plugged into where. Only takes a minute to remove everything. Also, what HU does he have, because my 05 didn't have 6-disc in-dash, it had an option for external 6-disc which plugged into the back of the HU (same place as the iPod adapter).
Old 07-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Jo2
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll have to check...i may just be incorrectly assuming he has 6 disc in dash, might just be single disc.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

It might be the premium, which 'might' have the 6-disc in dash. I think the only radios offered in 05 were the standard and premium. The Premium has the ability to change screen color and some other things.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:47 AM
Jo2
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
It might be the premium, which 'might' have the 6-disc in dash. I think the only radios offered in 05 were the standard and premium. The Premium has the ability to change screen color and some other things.

well...slight update.

my brother does indeed have 6 disc in dash.

anyway. Went with the USASpec PA15-Toy. Install went very smoothly. But it's not working so well.

My ipod works fine (5th gen ipod video). I can control the ipod through either the headunit or the ipod, works flawlessly in fact.

Then I plug in his ipod (6th gen video) and all hell breaks loose. Only plays 5 different artists, everything is on random automatically. Seems to go into some psuedo playlist mode. Can't control the ipod anymore, only through the headunit, and you can't access anything save for whatever 5 albums it picks.

Frustrating to say the least...gonna have to contact USASpec tomorrow and see if tech. support has any ideas.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:11 AM
Jo2
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok final update...

my brother actually has a gen 5.5 ipod video (80 gig classic to be exact), not 6th gen (who knew there was a 5.5!?!).

It occurred to me that maybe the latest ipod software he was running was causing problems with the ipod adapter since it's fairly new and the latest update (ver 1.2.1).

So after an hour or so of searching I finally figured out how to downgrade his ipod firmware to 1.2.0 and bingo, now everything works.

I'm guessing USASpec has their ipod adapter configured up to a certain release of ipods, and when ipod updates firmware, well then its anyones guess as to the compatibility.

Seems like this is an isolated issue (to me), but if anyone runs into this, shoot me a pm, and i'll run through all the downgrade steps.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just picked up the iPod interface cable for the stock '08/'09 headunits (http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=1815), and I'm able to control my iPod through the headunit and get sound fine.

However, when scrolling through the menus, it only shows the first several options (about 5 playlists instead of all of them, in the music menu it only gives Playlists, Artists, Albums, and Songs options, no Genres and such). Is there something I need to do to work around this? It's useless if I can't select all of my playlists through the headunit.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure, but I can scroll through about 20 playlist with an 08 TC.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:40 PM
SL Member

Ok, so I've been reading basically this entire thread and I'm still lost....

Let me start by saying I am a girl who knows nothing about working on cars. I have a lot of stuff done to my car, but nothing I did myself. So any "car terminology" or abbreviations are almost guaranteed to go over my head.

So I have a 2005 Scion tC that has a stock 6-disc cd player that also has XM radio. What I want to do is find away to play my ipod through the radio (not using the AM or FM channels).

I know there was someone else with somewhat the same situation and was wondering if someone can dumb down the answer for me. All I need to know is what to buy. Where to buy it. And how much it costs. I have no problem having someone install it for me. I just want to save the cost of buying it at a stereo place in case they try to rip me off cause I'm a girl.

So if anyone wants to help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2008, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

The iPod connector I had for my 05 tC plugged into the back of the radio where the 6-CD changer would normally plug in. I was able to control the iPod with the radio controls and the iPod. However, since it plugged into the 6-CD changer port, you wouldn't be able to use both.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:18 AM
SL Member

Hmm... so was it worth it?
Old 08-30-2008, 11:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rcf22
I just picked up the iPod interface cable for the stock '08/'09 headunits (http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=1815), and I'm able to control my iPod through the headunit and get sound fine.

However, when scrolling through the menus, it only shows the first several options (about 5 playlists instead of all of them, in the music menu it only gives Playlists, Artists, Albums, and Songs options, no Genres and such). Is there something I need to do to work around this? It's useless if I can't select all of my playlists through the headunit.
If I remember right, hold down the "audio" button while powering on the HU, then you can use the iPod's controls to load playlists.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey guys i have an 07 scion tc and uh well im having problems with my new ipod nano = [... when i connect it it will charge but wont play through my head unit it doesnt even say its connected ..but it does still charge anyway of fixing this? or shouldi just by a new cable?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the people with the 2005 scions like me I would reccomend the Griffin Roadtrip. I got the brand new one with smart scan on ebay for $30 (with shipping) and I have yet to have any problem with too much background noise. It clears out sounds completely. Or pay in stores for $100. It plugs right in your cig lighter.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Miller, i just might buy one of those instead of dropping a couple hundred.

Damn 05's with no factory iPod compatibility!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

quik question. could i just save the trouble and buy a 2006+ head unit? no other parts needed?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sup guys.

ok so i have a 2005 tC. a friend of mine got a new head unit in his xB and gave me his old head unit. i'm pretty sure his xB is a 2006. what i do know for sure is that the deck had ipod capability because i've seen him use it.

my questions are..

1. can i use it? i'm assuming the answer is yes, although it seems with the ***** i might not be able to close the door thingy.

2. what parts will i need to hook my ipod up? all he gave me was the actual head unit, no cables.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

1. i believe the HUs from all scions should fit with eachother, thus it should work/ close.

2. if its the ipod deck, youd need the special ipod wire/cable thats prolly still in his car.

Quick Reply: THE tC iPod Thread